Monolith by Monoprice HTP-1 16 Channel Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Home Theater Processor w/Dirac & Alexa Compatibility

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well, actually we don’t just have “a life”; we have multiple lives . ;)

1. Work life
2. Home life
3. Audioholics life

There are aspects of my work like that I don’t care to talk about at home or on Audioholics.

There are aspects of my home life that I don’t care to talk about at work or on Audioholics.

And there are aspects of my Audioholics life that I don’t care to talk about at work or at home. :D

I’m sure some of us may have 2 or 3 home lives. :eek:
Dear Andy,

The phrase "Get a life" is an expression from the 1980s implying that the recipient of the comment was obsessing about something that wasn't worth obsessing about, or sometimes to refer to someone the speaker felt was not in touch with reality. The phrase was most famously used by William Shatner at a Star Trek convention, where in one of the convention keynote addresses he told the attendees to "Get a life!" (Perhaps no other time in history has the phrase been so appropriately used.) In this case, multiple posts about whether or not DAC channels are used in possible differential modes is definitely in the realm of minutiae.

Hence, get a life.

Sincerely,

Irv

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
there are aspects of my Audioholics life that I don’t care to talk about at work or at home.
Bring them to the into the light. Don't leave them in the dark. Keep talking until your wife and children know what you know about speaker wire. They thirst for knowledge even though they don't really appear to at first but if you keep at it, they will thank you for it much, much, much later. o_O

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bring them to the into the light. Don't leave them in the dark. Keep talking until your wife and children know what you know about speaker wire. They thirst for knowledge even though they don't really appear to at first but if you keep at it, they will thank you for it much, much, much later. o_O
R......................I......................G.......................H.........................T :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
R......................I......................G.......................H.........................T :D
On a more serious note do you think your gonna pick one of these up? Or stick with your Yamaha? I think that's what you have know right? I'm seriously saving now first for my last wave of speakers and amps but after..... I really think if it reviews well this is what I want to go next. Just curious to see if your thinking about getting it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On a more serious note do you think your gonna pick one of these up? Or stick with your Yamaha? I think that's what you have know right? I'm seriously saving now first for my last wave of speakers and amps but after..... I really think if it reviews well this is what I want to go next. Just curious to see if your thinking about getting it.
Back before my $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI malfunctioned, I might have gone all-ATI with the ATP16 (I believe the ATP-16 and Monolith HTP-1 are based on DataSat LS10) and ATI amps.

But these days, I'm probably sticking to the less expensive Yamaha CX/MX combo. I don't want to use any kind of Room EQ, so Dirac or other REQ is not a factor for me. Auro3D has absolutely no blu-ray movie contents in the USA, so Auro3D is not a factor for me. I don't want to use any more than 5.1.4 Atmos system. The Yamaha CX could do 7.1.4. So a 7.1.6 is not a factor for me.

So I am thinking that I'll be sticking to the Yamaha combo. :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Back before my $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI malfunctioned, I might have gone all-ATI with the ATP16 (I believe the ATP-16 and Monolith HTP-1 are based on DataSat LS10) and ATI amps.

But these days, I'm probably sticking to the less expensive Yamaha CX/MX combo. I don't want to use any kind of Room EQ, so Dirac or other REQ is not a factor for me. Auro3D has absolutely no blu-ray movie contents in the USA, so Auro3D is not a factor for me. I don't want to use any more than 5.1.4 Atmos system. The Yamaha CX could do 7.1.4. So a 7.1.6 is not a factor for me.

That's cool to hear because I really don't like a lot of room eq either so that might affect my decision plus I really like my Denon X4400H so if it isn't broke why fix it? Hmmmm good points to ponder. Thanks for the input

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's cool to hear because I really don't like a lot of room eq either so that might affect my decision plus I really like my Denon X4400H so if it isn't broke why fix it? Hmmmm good points to ponder. Thanks for the input
Perfectly peachy to dream about your NEXT system. :D

In the mean time, enjoy your current system and continue to SAVE up for the next system. ;)

I've said it years ago on Audioholics that I have a "Home Theater Piggy Bank" where I am "allowed" certain amount every month. It adds up quickly for sure. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Perfectly peachy to dream about your NEXT system. :D

In the mean time, enjoy your current system and continue to SAVE up for the next system. ;)

I've said it years ago on Audioholics that I have a "Home Theater Piggy Bank" where I am "allowed" certain amount every month. It adds up quickly for sure. :D
This is where I’m at once I install my ceiling speakers, I need to replenish my budget for the next round. (I may a worst need an amp for my base layer channels, but probably won’t need one) :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

The Yamaha CX-A5200 os the best 11.2CH processor on the market at under $4k. Build quality is stellar and manual PEQ with web editor is invaluable.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know you currently have SVS Prime towers and intend to upgrade to SVS Ultra towers before long.
The Ultra towers are very good speakers for the $1,000 each price tag!
However, if you are thinking about putting $4,000 into a prepro, I would encourage you to invest that kind of money into your speakers before getting a high dollar prepro!

Put simply, with $2,000/pr speakers (the Ultra Towers) and a Denon 4400, if you have $4000 to invest in an upgrade, you are best advised to put it into your speakers.

If you look at ADTG, his RBH T2/R speakers have an MSRP of $12,000/pr, and Gene's Status Acoustic 8T's are $50,000/pr.

The other angle on this is projected life! The prepro is probably the shortest lived component of your system. How short depends on how much you want to be "up to date" and also the unknown of a possible "killer feature" that once available (such as when the remote control was introduced for TV, the prospect of having to get up and walk across the room to change stations or volume put all older TVs on notice), you have to have! However, a 10 year old prepro is likely missing some features you might be interested in. Conversely, a 10 year old external amp or a pair of good 10 year old speakers will still be going strong!

That said, value is very much an individual proposition. I am always looking for high value options. But if you are pulling in a seriously good paycheck, the prospect of putting $4000 into a pre-pro every 5-10 years may not deserve a second thought. If that is your case; go for it and we will happily live vicariously through you!!!:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Yamaha CX-A5200 is the best 11.2CH processor on the market at under $4k. Build quality is stellar and manual PEQ with web editor is invaluable.
I absolutely agree.

This makes me a lot more reluctant to change pre-pro, especially for features that I won’t even use.

In addition I would lose 2 features that I absolutely love and use all the time - Yamaha AV Controller remote app and MusicCast music streaming app.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know you currently have SVS Prime towers and intend to upgrade to SVS Ultra towers before long.
However, if you are thinking about putting $4,000 into a prepro, I would encourage you to invest that kind of money into your speakers before getting a high dollar prepro!

Put simply, with $2,000/pr speakers (the Ultra Towers) and a Denon 4400, if you have $4000 to invest in an upgrade, you are best advised to put it into your speakers.

If you look at ADTG, his RBH T2/R speakers have an MSRP of $12,000/pr, and Gene's Status Acoustic 8T's are $50,000/pr.

The other angle on this is projected life! The prepro is probably the shortest lived component of your system. How short depends on how much you want to be "up to date" and also the unknown of a possible "killer feature" that once available (such as when the remote control was introduced for TV, the prospect of having to get up and walk across the room to change stations or volume put all older TVs on notice), you have to have! However, a 10 year old prepro is likely missing some features you might be interested in. Conversely, a 10 year old external amp or a pair of good 10 year old speakers will still be going strong!

That said, value is very much an individual proposition. I am always looking for high value options. But if you are pulling in a seriously good paycheck, the prospect of putting $4000 into a pre-pro every 5-10 years may not deserve a second thought. If that is your case; go for it and we will happily live vicariously through you!!!:)
Yeah I agree I posted in my post after my speaker upgrades lol. But like some have mentioned I really really like my Denon and if I want extra sub outs I can just do a splitter on the 2 I already have or daisy chain them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Man KEW I'm going through an existential crises about this upgrade. I'm over thinking it I think way too much as the time gets closer I've about talked myself out of the ultra's and I don't even know what I'm trying to talk myself into. I put a thread on it over in the loudspeaker section I seriously think I'm tripping

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Man KEW I'm going through an existential crises about this upgrade. I'm over thinking it I think way too much as the time gets closer I've about talked myself out of the ultra's and I don't even know what I'm trying to talk myself into. I put a thread on it over in the loudspeaker section I seriously think I'm tripping
Trust me, I can relate! I can obsess over this stuff to the point of becoming walking dead!

Well, I think the Ultras are a great step up from the Primes and your allegiance to SVS is understandable.

This hits on one of the big questions of Audioholics and upgrades!

Every now and then we have someone who knows nothing about audio who has $20,000 for a system. For a situation like that, I really like the idea of buying a pair of good speakers (say the $1,000/pr. Ultra bookshelf speakers) to listen to and later use as surrounds. - Two reasons:
First, I worry if he immediately goes out and listens to speakers, he might not choose the speaker he would like most if had the experience of listening to good speakers first. IOW, refining the ear and learning what is important to him as regards sound quality.
Second, it seems a shame to only have the excitement of a big upgrade once instead of spreading it out over two or three upgrades.

Your Primes are pretty good speakers and you have spent some time listening carefully and tuning your system, so you are in pretty good shape.

However, IMHO, the Ultra's are among the least expensive speakers that do nothing obviously wrong. For example, I might have a hunch that they are a little bright from listening to them (which is not a terrible thing), but without a better pair of speakers in the room, I do not have conviction of it.
This is purely my subjective opinion, but I think if you bought a pair of Ultras, and listened to them long enough to become very familiar with the sound of your favorite music on them, you would be in a pretty good place to recognize the speakers that "creme your twinkie" when you hear them!

With your subs, the Ultra Bookshelves would work fine for refining your ear. They are good dynamic speakers and if you might want to use them as surrounds later, they give you an inexpensive way to accomplish this. I also like bookshelves in this role because you can take them to someone else's home and compare without the production of moving towers. A local shop let me bring my AVR and Paradigm S-2's into their shop and compare them to their S-4 (which didn't offer an improvement to my ear) and the Focal Electra 1028Be (which sounded better, but at $6,000/pr I wasn't sure it was worth it). This led me to the Focal Solo6 Be which has the same drivers and seemed to offer most of the same advantages as the 1028 Be.

I have not heard the Primes. By reputation I understand them to be good speakers. However, people who have upgraded from the Primes to the Ultras were not disappointed.

Please understand, my intent is to offer my best advice. I am definitely overstepping here, as YMMV quite a bit. For me, with what I know now, this is how I would approach it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Trust me, I can relate! I can obsess over this stuff to the point of becoming walking dead!

Well, I think the Ultras are a great step up from the Primes and your allegiance to SVS is understandable.

This hits on one of the big questions of Audioholics and upgrades!

Every now and then we have someone who knows nothing about audio who has $20,000 for a system. For a situation like that, I really like the idea of buying a pair of good speakers (say the $1,000/pr. Ultra bookshelf speakers) to listen to and later use as surrounds. - Two reasons:
First, I worry if he immediately goes out and listens to speakers, he might not choose the speaker he would like most if had the experience of listening to good speakers first. IOW, refining the ear and learning what is important to him as regards sound quality.
Second, it seems a shame to only have the excitement of a big upgrade once instead of spreading it out over two or three upgrades.

Your Primes are pretty good speakers and you have spent some time listening carefully and tuning your system, so you are in pretty good shape.

However, IMHO, the Ultra's are among the least expensive speakers that do nothing obviously wrong. For example, I might have a hunch that they are a little bright from listening to them (which is not a terrible thing), but without a better pair of speakers in the room, I do not have conviction of it.
This is purely my subjective opinion, but I think if you bought a pair of Ultras, and listened to them long enough to become very familiar with the sound of your favorite music on them, you would be in a pretty good place to recognize the speakers that "creme your twinkie" when you hear them!

With your subs, the Ultra Bookshelves would work fine for refining your ear. They are good dynamic speakers and if you might want to use them as surrounds later, they give you an inexpensive way to accomplish this. I also like bookshelves in this role because you can take them to someone else's home and compare without the production of moving towers. A local shop let me bring my AVR and Paradigm S-2's into their shop and compare them to their S-4 (which didn't offer an improvement to my ear) and the Focal Electra 1028Be (which sounded better, but at $6,000/pr I wasn't sure it was worth it). This led me to the Focal Solo6 Be which has the same drivers and seemed to offer most of the same advantages as the 1028 Be.

I have not heard the Primes. By reputation I understand them to be good speakers. However, people who have upgraded from the Primes to the Ultras were not disappointed.

Please understand, my intent is to offer my best advice. I am definitely overstepping here, as YMMV quite a bit. For me, with what I know now, this is how I would approach it.
Man thanks for some great advice KEW! P.S. you had me at creme my Twinkie! :eek:

Spinningbull

Spinningbull

Enthusiast

I totally agree with speakers 1st. However, that's what really kicked off the audioholic treadmill with me.

Finally got my dream Martin Logan esl, which then exposed the weakness in the rest of the system! Yami 3050, oppo, ati amp, building out hifiberry endpoints, now dreaming about ati16... wheee! Pretty soon I'll be back to upgrading speakers...

So, maybe we should call speakers the gateway to our habit...

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
"Spinningbull, post: 1292663, member: 87119"]I totally agree with speakers 1st. However, that's what really kicked off the audioholic treadmill with me.

Finally got my dream Martin Logan esl, which then exposed the weakness in the rest of the system! Yami 3050, oppo, ati amp, building out hifiberry endpoints, now dreaming about ati16... wheee! Pretty soon I'll be back to upgrading speakers...

Hah hah or maybe like ACDC sang the highway to hell!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I totally agree with speakers 1st. However, that's what really kicked off the audioholic treadmill with me.

How many speakers/channels are you thinking?

7.1.6 Atmos?

ATI ATP-16 + all ATI amps (7Ch + 6Ch) would be dreamy. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From ATI:

The ATP-16 was shown last year at CES 2018. We showed it again last week at CES 2019. It is based on the DataSat LS10, but we are still finalizing updated features.

LS10 specs: At reference output, SNR is 106dB and crosstalk is at 110dB (? frequency, worse/best channels).

Looking at some numbers on the Yamaha and Marantz to compare. :D

Yamaha CX-A5100 (Sound and Vision Mag):
Crosstalk w 100-mV input: –93.82 dB left to right, –94.21 dB right to left. Signal-to-noise ratio w “A” weighting: –130.92 dBrA.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5100-surround-processor-review-test-bench#CcD0Vs5SMRkjb9yd.99

Marantz AV8802 (S&V Mag)
Crosstalk w 100-mV input was –92.21 dB left to right and –93.16 dB right to left. Signal-to-noise ratio with “A” weighting was –130.38 dBrA.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8802-surround-processor-review-test-bench#t4QyUIAE1HJVVKDw.99

Yamaha CX-A5000 (from Audioholics):
Crosstalk (worse channels): -90dB at 1kHz, -78dB at 20kHz
Crosstalk (best channels): -112dB at 1kHz, -100dB at 20kHz
SNR: -104dB (unweighted, 20kHz LPF engaged)

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5000-mx/processor-and-amp-measurements

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis