Monolith by Monoprice HTP-1 16 Channel Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Home Theater Processor w/Dirac & Alexa Compatibility

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even the so called modular approach can only help to a point. Things are changing too much, too fast..
I do wonder if they could replace the Video board to 8K, HDMI-X, etc.

Same thing with the Audio board. Could they replace the Audio board for the next Dolby Atmos-X?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah. I think when 4K was starting to come out, I recall some people were saying they had no interest in 4K. Now everything is pretty much 4K.

Now that 8K is in the early phase, I hear the same kind of talk - they don't care about 8K.

So I wonder if in 5 years everything will be 8K and all these $5K - $10K pre-pros and 4K Projectors will be outdated again.

I sure would be very reluctant to spend $4,000 on any 4K Pre-pros now. :D
I said the same thing when 4K first came out. Well I have a 4K HDTV now. I believe that in 5 or so years from now, we will have to take what the manufacturers give us. In order to stay up with the times we Will have to replace AVR, HDMI cables, and Upgrade to 8K players too. I was going to upgrade my AVR in a few months, believe I'll hold up now.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I do wonder if they could replace the Video board to 8K, HDMI-X, etc.

Same thing with the Audio board. Could they replace the Audio board for the next Dolby Atmos-X?
They should be able to on money no object basis. If new hardware/board is required, they are going to have to custom design/build them. They may design the new models base on the same platform, pin configurations, connectors etc., as the old ones but then such approach could limit the flexibility in the design of the new ones. I could be wrong and they may be smart enough to anticipate exactly (or almost) what's coming down the pipe line and make suitable provisions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They should be able to on money no object basis. If new hardware/board is required, they are going to have to custom design/build them. They may design the new models base on the same platform, pin configurations, connectors etc., as the old ones but then such approach could limit the flexibility in the design of the new ones. I could be wrong and they may be smart enough to anticipate exactly (or almost) what's coming down the pipe line and make suitable provisions.
Yeah, it would be too easy if it were like simply replacing a PC Graphics Card and Sound Card and updating the drivers. :D

M

mars2k

Enthusiast
OK Back to the thread at hand....Whats up with release date for HTP-1? Monoprice posting 9/2019. Just saw a review of NAD M17 v2,.... $2k more than HTP-1 but still has HDMI 2.0 on replaceable board. Does anyone know what HDMI spec the HTP-1 will have? Wonder if getting 2.1 on board a factor in release date.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK Back to the thread at hand....Whats up with release date for HTP-1? Monoprice posting 9/2019. Just saw a review of NAD M17 v2,.... $2k more than HTP-1 but still has HDMI 2.0 on replaceable board. Does anyone know what HDMI spec the HTP-1 will have? Wonder if getting 2.1 on board a factor in release date.
The release of the Monolith HTP-1 might be tied to the release of the ATI ATP-16.

I just sent ATI an email asking for an update.

Last time I checked (like 3 months ago) the official word was that ATI was still "finalizing all the features". No other details about HDMI or anything.

We know that these pre-pros are not exactly brand new since both are based on the existing $10,000 DataSat LS10 pre-pro.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Latest update from ATI is that they are trying to get the ATP-16 released by end of 2019. So probably same for the HTP-1.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
This came up before, I think re: the amps. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before Monolith is its own brand. This almost has the feel of that step. And I'd be fine if they just branded their 'upscale' products like that with a separate site. ;)

But the MiniDSP products sporting Dirac aren't that expensive. *shrugs

I can't help but wonder if they peeled somebody from Emotiva into the upper echelon of Operations at Monoprice. Maybe not, but this definitely feels targeted at the RMC-1... just take away the expandability... but I'd be willing to pay for that customization. ;) To me, this should be a 3k pre-pro. (besides, compare the Airmotiv design to the Monolith Subs... its like the Old-New VW Beetle and the Audi TT... designed by the same guy, just squished it in his design program. ;) And got paid twice! #drop-the-stylus-and-walk-away
If you try to do 16 channels with Minidsp dirac... it will be over $2500 just for the Minidsp2 ddrc88 boxes...then you still need a preamp. I think i t is a very reasonable price for what you are getting.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Oh wow. First the Monolith (ATI) amp. Now the Monolith (ATI) 7.2.6 Pre-pro!

7 ground plane speakers, 6 ceiling Atmos speakers, 2 subs.

Wasn’t there a thread where I said if only Monoprice could make a pre-pro? :D

And I recall s9me people were saying that’s ever going to happen? :D

$4K is pricey, but not compared to the $5K Emotiva or $10K DataSAT/ATI.

To me this is almost the perfect pre-pro. Extremely simple design that looks like a PC.

Now if they could change 3 things, it would be perfect for me:

1. Change the brand from Monoprice to something else not associated with cheap stuff.
2. Get rid of those few RCA/Coax/Optical inputs.
3. Get rid of the Room EQ (Dirac) to shave off another $1-2K in price. :D
For me Dirac is a big reason to buy it. In my old setup I had Audyssey, and also YPAO before I switched to Dirac, and Dirac was in a different league than the competition. I cannot wait to get a Dirac setup again.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
For me Dirac is a big reason to buy it. In my old setup I had Audyssey, and also YPAO before I switched to Dirac, and Dirac was in a different league than the competition. I cannot wait to get a Dirac setup again.
You can buy minidsp with dirac for 200-300 and save yourself a lot of money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you try to do 16 channels with Minidsp dirac... it will be over $2500 just for the nidsp2 ddrc88 boxes...then you still need a preamp. I think i t is a very reasonable price for what you are getting.
Wow. $2,500 for 16Ch Mini-DSP DIRAC!

I recall when Denon offered the upgrade from Audyssey XT to XT32 for the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, I think it was like $1500. No way I was going to pay that. :D

The $2,500 16Ch Mini-DSP DIRAC price does make the $4K Monolith HTP-1 seem pretty good.

Well, considering the upcoming Emotiva AVP is $5,000 and the NAD pre-pro is $6,000, the Monolith HTP-1's $4K already seem like a bargain.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. $2,500 for 16Ch Mini-DSP DIRAC!

I recall when Denon offered the upgrade from Audyssey XT to XT32 for the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, I think it was like $1500. No way I was going to pay that. :D

The $2,500 16Ch Mini-DSP DIRAC price does make the $4K Monolith HTP-1 seem pretty good.

Well, considering the upcoming Emotiva AVP is $5,000 and the NAD pre-pro is $6,000, the Monolith HTP-1's $4K already seem like a bargain.
Did you see Audioholics video review of the NAD prepro when they did a comparison to other models?

Man for 6000 they sure left a lotta stuff out it was ridiculous actually

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
You can buy minidsp with dirac for 200-300 and save yourself a lot of money.
Where can you buy 16 channels of Dirac from MiniDSP for $200-300? The Minidsp ddrc88 are $2029 plus shipping for a quantity of 2 ddrc88.

Last edited:
A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Plus duty, and shipping...still too much for me to pay for just Dirac.
You can add a nice avr and it will be less than 4k. Plus you can update dirac and avr independently.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
You can add a nice avr and it will be less than 4k. Plus you can update dirac and avr independently.
I need balanced, so a balanced preamp will cost at least $2000. In addition Into not like having the extra wiring clutter. One last thing is it eliminates an extra DA conversion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Did you see Audioholics video review of the NAD prepro when they did a comparison to other models?

Man for 6000 they sure left a lotta stuff out it was ridiculous actually
Yeah, I think some of us had some unkind words about that $6K NAD pre-pro.

I would think nobody in their right mind would buy that NAD, except for some very loyal NAD fans. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis