Monolith 10 or HSU VTF-2 MK5

S

SickTrain

Audiophyte
Having a hard time deciding on which one of these I want to purchase to replace my 10 year old Klipsch downward firing sub. The Klipsch overall did what I needed it to but I wouldn't mind having more. I know that both will be much better compared to the old Klipsch but will I hear or feel a big difference between the Monolith 10 and VTF-2? If spending the extra 100 bucks will be worth it then I have no problem doing that. $600 is my max budget though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How big is the room?

VTF-2 is a 12" sub and a verified performer. Even though the Monolith is THX select cert, it is still a 10" sub. My old SVS PB-10 could get to 18Hz too, but it wasn't doing it with authority. If you're looking to upgrade, I would say it is better to spend a little more up front and get something that will stick around longer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have used both subs. I have the Monolith 10" under evaluation right now. I don't want to say anything about the Monolith 10 until I have published my results, except to say they are both terrific subs and you can't go wrong with either. They aren't the same sub though, and they have different strengths.

S

SickTrain

Audiophyte
The room is pretty big, don't actually have the exact dimensions though. My TV is placed in my living room but the living room is pretty much opened up to the kitchen and dinning room. I do have a couple of archways and half wall dividing the areas but it doesn't help that I have 14' ceilings. I know that neither one of these sub's is big enough to fill up the whole area but as long as my viewing area is good then that is all I'm worried about. More than likely I'll be adding another one down the road at some point. I have two 15" powered speakers along with a 18" powered sub for all my music listening so just looking for a nice 3.1 system for viewing movies and sports.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have used both subs. I have the Monolith 10" under evaluation right now. I don't want to say anything about the Monolith 10 until I have published my results, except to say they are both terrific subs and you can't go wrong with either. They aren't the same sub though, and they have different strengths.
Shadyj
As you know, I can vouch for the Monolith 10" sub because I bought one !
I too had Klipsch subs, although not the downfiring kind (mine were front firing).
I do not have the linguistic skills to provide an audio review, complete with purpose prose and alliteration.
But, I will say my Monolith 10" is two thumbs up from my music room.

Like BSA said though, if you have a big room and a smallish budget, doing a DIY sub may give you great joy and the Hsu subs are legit as well. You are in a position to make great choices either way you choose.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shadyj
As you know, I can vouch for the Monolith 10" sub because I bought one !
I too had Klipsch subs, although not the downfiring kind (mine were front firing).
I do not have the linguistic skills to provide an audio review, complete with purpose prose and alliteration.
But, I will say my Monolith 10" is two thumbs up from my music room.

Like BSA said though, if you have a big room and a smallish budget, doing a DIY sub may give you great joy and the Hsu subs are legit as well. You are in a position to make great choices either way you choose.
Thanks for the compliments, but my prose isn't very good, which is why I put more emphasis on the analytical side of the review.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For big room DIY would get best results, if you how ever want one of those 2 I would go for HSU VTF-2 MK5 as it is 12" sub.

T

Tuan209

Audiophyte
I know you dont want to say anything about the Monolith 10 but I am itching to order one today...

Between the Monolith 10 and VTF-2, in a 3000 cubic ft room, which would you recommend for mostly HT? I would likely go dual.

Thanks =)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I know you dont want to say anything about the Monolith 10 but I am itching to order one today...

Between the Monolith 10 and VTF-2, in a 3000 cubic ft room, which would you recommend for mostly HT? I would likely go dual.

Thanks =)
Both are great subs for the price. I have not confirmed this yet, but my sense is that the VTF-2 mk5 is on a pretty even price/performance spectrum between the Monolith 10 and Monolith 12 with midbass performance probably closer to the 12".

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
That fill my 20x20 space? And the amp fully powers it? And build is simple? Would be my first time.
I’m using a Polk psw505 atm. Been wondering adding another psw505 12” vs just using a better one.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That fill my 20x20 space? And the amp fully powers it? And build is simple? Would be my first time.
I’m using a Polk psw505 atm. Been wondering adding another psw505 12” vs just using a better one.
yes, it will fill 20x20 space. that amp in bridged provides 1000w, a plenty lot for that driver. A sealed box is the easiest type.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
yes, it will fill 20x20 space. that amp in bridged provides 1000w, a plenty lot for that driver. A sealed box is the easiest type.
So it’s plug in woofer into amp then installed amp in box basically?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So it’s plug in woofer into amp then installed amp in box basically?
Woofer gets installed in the box. typically you'd do some terminal posts. run a simple 12/14 awg cable to terminals. connect terminals to amp. amp input gets connected to avr sub out.

that's it.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Would you need an extra shovel to help a mining excavator?
lol.
So I see 4 wires going to the woofer. I’m guessing I’d drill a hole to run those 4 wires out the back to the amp then amp to receiver?

And lol @ that guys commentary!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
always been interested in building speakers and sub. lets see if this thread convinces me to try.
Well subs are FN easy. Ported vs Sealed is the only question and the latter needing more EQ and amplification for extension...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis