Moment of Weakness - Epson Home10+ or Infocus 4805?

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
I would welcome any input to my dilemna:

I was dead set on an Infocus Screenplay 4805. Then I hear and read about the Epson Powerlite Home10+ projector.

Both have similar specs as far as resolution, inputs (component video, composite video, S-video, RCA audio) and native 16:9, but a few differences:

1. DLP vs. LCD (which gets into the debate about lumens vs. contrast
2. 4805 has bulb life rating that is 1000 more than the Epson (mode per mode)

3. Price Tag: 4805 = $2250.00 (CDN) vs. Home10+ = $1800.00 (CDN)

I can get the Epson at company discount.

What makes the decision harder is that if I buy the 4805, the store will give me a package deal that includes screen, ceiling mount and A/V cabling such that I save over $300.00.

So, I'm still leaning towards the Infocus, unless anybody can tell me good things about the Epson Powerlite Home 10+. Btw, all user reviews from ProjectorCentral.com give the Epson a 5 star rating.

:confused:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I highly recommend you take try to get the chance to spend some time with DLP. I love DLP, but know people who get bad headaches from it. If this is already known to you, then I apologize, but DLP uses one chip to produce all three colors. A spinning color wheel creates the colors sequencially. This can lead to color separation artifacts, aka "the rainbow effect." I'm not the least bit succeptible to the effect; as a matter of fact, I have to move my head violently to even see it. None of my family sees it either, but it's definately real, and there's no way to know short of trying for yourself.

The Epson is a good value. I've seen it a few times, but never with proper light control, so it looked washed out. Of course, that's not its fault, it's a setup problem. I've never seen it blown up to the size you'd use as home, either, so I can't judge whether or not the pixel structure would be visible under actual use.

Let me complicate you search a little more: Plus Corps award winning Piano DLP projector is now being sold for $999. I've used one for years, and I'm extremely pleased with it. If you google for reviews, you'll find it's won a lot of awards including Product of the Year from several HT mags. With the price drop (it won all those awards back when it sold for $2700 :eek: ), it's a screaming deal. Assuming you can deal with DLP.

U

Unregistered

Infocus 7200

We bought a 7200 but we had to replace a bulb after a little over 500 hours (the bulb's warentee). Although it is rated for more hours when we went back to the distributor they were unconcerned and said that is only a guide line. At the expense of these bulbs, I am concerned about the ongoing cost.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Bulb life can be unpredictable. The Plus in my system had its first bulb burst at 500 hrs, half its rated life. Plus Corp replaced it at no cost, and the replacement bulb logged a tad over 2000 hours! Even then, it still worked, but it wasn't as bright anymore. We decided to replace it as we had a spare on hand.

I doubt the brand is relevant at all- bulbs just always have some variability. When compared to CRT projectors, solid state can be much cheaper initially, but you have to factor in the price of bulbs.

Personally, unless you have an HT room and a separate rig for simply watching TV, I'd be damned leery of any PJ with a bulb rated at 500 hrs! :eek: That's an unbelievably short life, and used for all veiwing would only last a few months. You'd likely need 2 bulbs to get thru football season! That would get expensive real fast.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I personally have been using the Panasonic LCD projector for a few years and have to say that a 2000:1 contrast ratio in DLP is nice, but you had better be putting it into a very, very dark room, as the InFocus has a calibrated light output of well under 500 lumens which makes it almost worthless once a little bit of light is added.

Brightness offers a lot of punch when a little light is in the room, but may not be of concern to you. I would have to say that I would be hard pressed to purchase contrast over light output after seeing what a little more light can do to an image to really add some punch. Really, 3 or 4 years ago, home theater projectors (non CRT) were lucky to see 1,000:1 ratios... now that is pretty standard for many LCD projectors. Of course, the new Panasonic is 2000:1, and the new Sony is 6000:1 in an LCD.

Bottom line is I don't think you will be unhappy with either projector, and if it is your first foray into HT projection, then you will be really psyched on having a big screen and you neighbors will all wonder how many thousands of dollars it cost you.

Why do people bother with rear screen projection anyways? ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

You can go with a higher gain screen, too. I will say that while the Plus doesn't have as high a light output, it will still work okay with dim room light. But I'll state for the record that my room has 100% light control- total blackout. No matter how bright your PJ, you'll never get good blacks without light control.

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your responses.

In the end, I went for the InFocus. I've tested it on a non-white wall and I was very impressed! :)

I will have to wait until my basement is finished to really see it shine. But I believe I'll be very happy with this unit.

btw, got it for $2050.00 CDN. Not bad wheeling and dealing I think.

In my case, I felt the lower lumens will not be an issue as it would be in the basement- specifically for HT viewing. I have pots lights on dimmers to control lighting. Also, I prefer DLP over LCD.

Bottom line is I don't think you will be unhappy with either projector, and if it is your first foray into HT projection, then you will be really psyched on having a big screen and you neighbors will all wonder how many thousands of dollars it cost you.
I think BMXTRIX nailed it with that statement. I'll be the envy of all my firends and family :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Were you bothered by the noise of the PJ? It seems to me that one's louder than most; could be an issue in a smaller quieter room. Or maybe not- just curious.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Just looked up that model at Projector People- pretty decent light output for an inexpensive PJ, a bit better than the 600 lumens the Plus puts out. I just realized I was thinking of the X1, not the 4805. The X1 is easily the loudest FPTV I've ever heard, but I don't know about the one you bought. Probably just fine, noise wise.

You're gonna love it! :D I can't fathom how I got by all those years with a puny box TV- even my old 55" Philips seems dinky by comparison. But the thing I was most unprepared for was how much better the sound got when I removed that big, hulking empty box from between my speakers. Makes sense when you think about it, though. I can't imagine ever going back after a couple years with the PJ.

U

Unregistered

Hi Rob,

Yes, the size of the image just blows away my 43" rear projection TV. Soon, very soon; I should be able to start painting the walls in the basement next week or so. I can taste it now......

The fan noise from the projector is fine. It won't even be audible when I have it mounted to the ceiling just ahead of a boxed ventilation duct. Seating will be a bit further back so when when I watch a movie, I won't even see the projector.

For pure HT viewing especially, I don't see why more people opt for a front pj. Plasmas are cool, I have to admit, but the cost per inch isn't worth it (at least for a salaried man like me ).

Cheers!

-Yama

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just an FYI Yama...

I went to front PJ about 4 years ago and have loved it. Started with an old 4x3 CRT Runco, then went to an Electrohome CRT and more recntly to a Panasonic LCD. I don't imagine I will ever live again without a front pj and a 10 foot screen.

But, viewing in non-light controlled rooms isn't an option, and we refuse to use half our basement for a dedicated theater. In fact, for 3.5 of the last 4 years we used the PJ as our primary television... and it worked until we moved into a place that didn't have good light control and we couldn't GET good light control - and didn't want to live in a cave.

A plasma (ours was $3,200) will actually cost less if you are part of a heavy TV family like I am. The PJ was on about 8 hours a day - and bulbs were being used at a rate that was no less than 2 per year. So, that's about $300 per bulb - or $600.00 a year in regular maintenance bulbs. Or, in about 5 years, the plasma has paid for itself and we still have the PJ for Monday Night Football, good movies, and Dead Like Me (Showtime HD).

It makes sense, sometimes financially and logistically to have that plasma... but never INSTEAD... just to supplement. ;)

Now, of course, I want the tab tensioned motorized screen and a between the joists projector lift so that when the PJ isn't on, it is invisible to the world. Meh, we'll see in a couple of years.

U

Unregistered

$2050 CDN? Where-

Yamaman:

I am looking at buying the 4805 in the next week or so and can't find it less than $2350 ($2399 at one place, but they throw in a cheap 100" pulldown screen). Where'd you find it for $2050 and did you have to bargain hard for it?

The only authorized place in Calgary is claiming too thin a margin to go below $2350.

Thanks
Gleonard

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
A plasma (ours was $3,200) will actually cost less if you are part of a heavy TV family like I am. The PJ was on about 8 hours a day - and bulbs were being used at a rate that was no less than 2 per year. So, that's about $300 per bulb - or $600.00 a year in regular maintenance bulbs. Or, in about 5 years, the plasma has paid for itself and we still have the PJ for Monday Night Football, good movies, and Dead Like Me (Showtime HD).
Yes, I agree. My 43" rear projection is fine for day to day TV viewing. But for those specialy movie nights, the pj will be they way to go!

am looking at buying the 4805 in the next week or so and can't find it less than $2350 ($2399 at one place, but they throw in a cheap 100" pulldown screen). Where'd you find it for $2050 and did you have to bargain hard for it?
Hey Gleonard,

I live in the greater toronto area (Thornhill, Vaughan be be exact). I bought my unit at Audio One (www.audio-one.ca)- my favorite A/V hangout. There was a bit of a catch to that- they sell a package bundle: 4805, 70" screen and a very good ceiling mount for $2350.00. I didn't need the screen, so they broke it down when I asked them for the best price they could give me:

$2050.00 for the pj
$150.00 for the screen

I'm not sure if they will sell the pj separately at $2050.00, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, I'm not sure about shipping costs since you live in Calgary. The lowest I've seen (other than audio-one) was $2250.00. The average price in Toronto is $2300.00, so they should be able to go lower than $2350.00 and still make some profit.

Did I have to bargain hard? No, I just simply asked them what the best they can do for me. That was it!

Well, good luck in you pj hunting.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
The only authorized place in Calgary is claiming too thin a margin to go below $2350.
I've just begun looking at the same projector - I'm not sure if you want to go the webstore route, but online sites have it for 1499 USD - which converts to about 1900 CAN, I'm not sure what shipping and duty would add to the price.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus_Home-ScreenPlay_4805-prices.htm

the first 2 listed will ship to Canada, and I've sent an email to projectorpeople to see if the free shipping on orders over 999 count for us Canucks.

Where in Calgary did you go?

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I was thinking the same- even buying directly from InFocus USA and with the conversion and shipping, I would still come out ahead. But, it worked out better for me to buy locally because I needed a universal ceiling mount, saving 100 bucks there.

U

Unregistered

In Calgary

I went to General Audio in Calgary - actually couldn't find anyone else who carried it . . . I thought about ordering from the U.S. but have been told that most warranties become void as soon as the product crosses the border???

Cheers

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There is one issue I do have the the PJ: I simply can't play videogames on it. :mad: I experience extreme dizziness, nausea & vertigo from playing FPS-type games on a screen that large. Playing is easier than watching likely because my eyes are following my hands, but it gets so bad that the room still spins for me an hour after I shut it down! :eek: I had a little touch of this with my old 55" TV, but no problem on the 32" in my bedroom.

Too, bad for me. :( HALO is incredible on the 100" screen, and MechAssault is also mindblowing.

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
went to General Audio in Calgary - actually couldn't find anyone else who carried it . . . I thought about ordering from the U.S. but have been told that most warranties become void as soon as the product crosses the border???
Did you phone InFocus and ask them all authorized retailers in the greater Calgary area- that's what I did; it was very hard to find stores in Toronto until I phoned them- even then, I received a list of only 6 stores. I'd say Canadian InFocus retailers are pretty sparse in general, but there's gotta be at least one more store in Calgary :confused:

Too, bad for me. HALO is incredible on the 100" screen, and MechAssault is also mindblowing.
ooooooohhh, I gotta try that out. :cool:

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
I went to General Audio in Calgary - actually couldn't find anyone else who carried it . . . I thought about ordering from the U.S. but have been told that most warranties become void as soon as the product crosses the border???

Cheers
According to InFocus' website -

HOLMES THEATRE & AUTOMATION #3 -2015- 32 AVENUE N.E. CALGARY AB 403-291-2929

is also a certified reseller - but their price is the same as general audio 2350... I've sent an email to infocus regarding the warranty question - hopefully have an answer within a couple of days...

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
...and I've sent an email to projectorpeople to see if the free shipping on orders over 999 count for us Canucks.
here is the response I got from projector people:

"Thanks for emailing. We can ship to Canada however we would have to charge you shipping. Typically not more than $25. There will be taxes
and duties however I can't answer how much that would actually amount
too. You best option is to contact your local customs department"

rk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis