Modern Classical Music

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Last night, my family and I attended a performance by Symphony Nova Scotia. The works were:
Prokofiev: Classical Symphony
Samuel Barber: Cello Concerto
Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings
Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring (Suite)

I'm familiar with each composition, except for Barber's Cello Concerto. I have to say - I'm not a big fan. Although there are melodious elements to the piece, there were quite a lot of what I would call "atonal" parts - especially the cello soloist bits. I'm not a sophisticated listener, by any stretch, but I try to open-minded. I can't fault the quality of the performance, but I just can't "get" modern music.

I suppose it's similar to modern paintings - whereas it looks like random lines and colours are thrown at a canvas, in modern music an assortment of notes are thrown together randomly. But, that's just me...old-fashioned I guess.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
If you want to hear something spectacular that is modern (there are some more modern instruments used, not just orchestral as it is used as a soundtrack),check out Norihiro Tsuru's Heroic Legend of Arslan soundtracks. He plays the violin himself so they are heavily string oriented.

There are three albums, volumes 1, 2 and 3/4. I like volume 1 and 3/4 the best, but 2 is good as well. Each also have one or two songs with Japanese vocals at the end (they are anime soundtracks). There might be something on YouTube by now. I bought them back in 1997 at the recommendation of a friend for incredible music that is audiophile quality.

Track 9 on volume 3\4 will shake walls with this incredible bass drum it has (Taiko-like). Even my mother loves that track and she's 70 now. The string work and melodies are spectacular, IMO.

To me, this is what "modern" orchestral (I wouldn't say "classical" as the word literally implies OLD) should be heading.

I also love Basil Poledouris' work, particularly the Conan soundtracks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis