Modding old serparates into PC's

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
How come we don't see more of this? I'm planning on making an HTPC out of a Teac reference CD player and on looking around it seems people put PC's into just about everything, people also spend hundreds on trying to get an HTPC case that despite trying their hardest still doesn't quite fit into their setup...

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
Yeah there are already loads out there, I've tried a fair few. They all still look like a PC trying not to be a PC.

What I'm saying is, if you're system is a NAD, Rotel, Marantz, whatever, why spend the money on something that'd look out of place in most systems like the above when you can pick up a matching non working cd player or similar for very cheap and knock something up with that?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah there are already loads out there, I've tried a fair few. They all still look like a PC trying not to be a PC.

What I'm saying is, if you're system is a NAD, Rotel, Marantz, whatever, why spend the money on something that'd look out of place in most systems like the above when you can pick up a matching non working cd player or similar for very cheap and knock something up with that?
Because you will have hours of machine work and modding to do to make it functional and have everything fit. You never "knock something up." If you take on a project like that you must carefully plan and execute it. You will need a good mettle shop, with a lot of tools including thread tapping equipment. Excellent equipment is carefully designed and executed as a work of art and takes a lot of time.

A lot of cases are not accurately drilled. When I built mine I did tons of research and this case is excellent. It looks nice in the rack and I did not have to drill out or move one whole. Installing the equipment in the case was a breeze.

It stays really coll and is silent. It looks good in the rack also.

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
That's a nice setup, and I guess the key there is a large variety of different parts anyway. I guess I'm more on about a small system for us ocd type who like things to match.

Also if everyone gave answers like that we wouldn't have alot of things, interesting fast or custom cars for one. I appreciate there are some ok cases out there. None really appeal to me though, figured I wasn't on my own on that.

It wouldn't be that much work. Chemical metal the stand offs = a drill and gloves. An angle grinder for the rear i/o cutout, dremel for tidying. VFD are easy to come by, psu's without cases. etc.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

How does it look out of place? A CD player looks like a CD player. An amp looks like an amp. A PC looks like a PC. Why does the PC need to look like a CD player?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Because you will have hours of machine work and modding to do to make it functional and have everything fit. You never "knock something up." If you take on a project like that you must carefully plan and execute it. You will need a good mettle shop, with a lot of tools including thread tapping equipment. Excellent equipment is carefully designed and executed as a work of art and takes a lot of time.

A lot of cases are not accurately drilled. When I built mine I did tons of research and this case is excellent. It looks nice in the rack and I did not have to drill out or move one whole. Installing the equipment in the case was a breeze.

It stays really coll and is silent. It looks good in the rack also.
Good choice. Silverstone is one of my favorite case manufacturers.

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
Ok, I'll give you my example, I've just bought a Teac Reference 500 setup. I don't use CD's at all, too lazy. No need for them with todays technology surely? That's for another thread obviously. So I've got this lovely looking amp and a cd deck which is useless to me, also this large ugly htpc next to it. See the logic?

For example, would this not appeal for a bedroom system and htpc inside the dvd player with a fully functioning VFD screen and remote?

TeacH550_M.jpg

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
So basically you're upset that your HTPC case isn't made by TEAC to match your matching DVD player and receiver.

Maybe should call TEAC and ask them to make a Reference 500 Series HTPC.

I don't think many people have matching high-end components they want to add an HTPC to. Most people will have Blu-ray players and receivers and amps and whatever from totally different companies, let alone product lines.

Your issue isn't that HTPCs look like PCs. It's that they don't look like TEAC Reference 500 Series components.

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
Wow what a shitty reply -Jon. What do they say about sarcasm? If you care to read my response, I was giving my example as people seemed to have a hard idea comprehending why someone would want to do it.

Where at any point does it imply I was upset that Teac don't make an HTPC? I do not have any issue other than I am yet to like any of the HTPC cases that have come around.

It seemed to have buttered you up the wrong way to come out with a reply like that. Certainly made me chuckle anyway albeit not from the sarcasm more at the guess you drive Prius, or are possibly angry/jelous at the thought of butchering an old teac system?

My only thought was surely I'm not on my own, and if I was then maybe someone else has a lovely matching amp and matching cd (of any brand, hence the mention of a few) in their bedroom or office and wanted to save some space would have found the idea usefull. Just throwing it out there. A NAD was my first stereo when I was young, and I was tempted to put something in one of those first.

A decent PC would probably sound better than most CD players with a good sound card, just for reference.

Anyway kindly try not to be so contentious in the future.

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's a nice setup, and I guess the key there is a large variety of different parts anyway. I guess I'm more on about a small system for us ocd type who like things to match.

Also if everyone gave answers like that we wouldn't have alot of things, interesting fast or custom cars for one. I appreciate there are some ok cases out there. None really appeal to me though, figured I wasn't on my own on that.

It wouldn't be that much work. Chemical metal the stand offs = a drill and gloves. An angle grinder for the rear i/o cutout, dremel for tidying. VFD are easy to come by, psu's without cases. etc.
I think this project is feasible, but it won't be a quick or easy project.

An angle grinder is not a good tool for making accurate cut outs in a metal case. I use a plasma cutter for those sort of jobs. They cut cool and you can use edge guides.

You will have more cutouts than the back panel, as you will need a few fans. The key is to have enough fans so the speed is low and you get no noise. If you use a a case less psu you will still have to figure out how to cool it.

I think one of your biggest problems will be the front panel, which on most players is plastic. This is the hardest material to work with, and you will likely have to fabricate a new front panel to mount the disc drive.

Again you worry me with your knock it up/not much work attitude. This will be a lot of work if it is not to look like the wreck of the Hesperus, actually work and have longevity. You really will need to be OCD.

People who make custom cars etc are skilled craftsmen who count the cost in time and parts. I know people who have spent a life time on a working model, or loving difficult restoration.

Do you have any pictures of one of your metal work projects?

Hers is one of mine.

This is the base for the exhaust of a coffee roaster.

Close up of mounting base. 1/4" steel base cut with plasma cutter. The jaws are cut out from a piece of steel pipe. Room is left for the door to open. The pipe is cut at the back and a cut down hinge welded. The left jaw is welded to the base, the right jaw is free.

The jaws are lined with foam so they are gentle. The thumb screw tightens the base to the exhaust. There is a steel strip reinforced with gusset. On the left side there is a captive nut, and the tightening screw tightens with this until the exhaust is secure. Then the right nut is tightened against the steel bracket, so the set screw can not back out.

The left jaw is also reinforced with a gusset so the left jaw does not lean as the set screw is tightened.

The plate is mounted to the table with bolts.

This mounting is very robust and secure.

If you do go ahead, please post pictures here as the project progresses.

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
Its ok, I'm relatively experienced. The car references were the first to mind because that is what I work with everyday. So when I see a box of screws and rivets, it really doesn't seem like much by comparison. I built a NAS into a old 1950's bakerlight stereo last month, only so it blends in with the wood downstairs.

My original plan was a 300 system...

But the 500 allows more space for bigger board and add on cards, still my layout is intending on being roughly the same except the hard drives will be horizontal and a laptop drive in the middle. I'll chop up an old computer for the HD mounts if need be, take apart a power supply to fit without its case.

End of the day it really isn't skilled craft, cutting a square in the right place for the i/o, hole saw, drill, couple brackets. Hardly structural engineering! I'm not touching the front panel except to fit a VFD behind the glass already there.

I was hoping this thread would inspire others or bring out people who have already done something similar not try to put the fear of DIY into everyone!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We are not trying to put the fear of DIY into anyone. We get a lot of posters with crazy schemes here. If people want to DIY then we just want to make sure they have the tools and know how to plan aand execute such a scheme. Your minimization of what it involves is what worries me. If you have skills form other projects that will be a start. However a car is a big object. This project is on the micro level and you will have to be very precise and accurate. And don't forget that when you have removed the case of a PSU you have removed the shielding. Switching computer PSUs radiate a lot more garbage, than what the power supply on the CD player would have.

I'm not discouraging you. I just want you to properly understand what is involved here and I'm not sure you do. I work on old vehicles and especially old tractors. Electronics is a different skill set in many ways. I have learned over many years to take proper stock of what a project involves.

You now have explained your skill set. If you want to do this, go ahead and post your pictures as you go. As far as I know we have not had anyone post about doing this before, so you will be the first instructor.

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
See I don't see it as minimization, just simplification. Mounting the board is easy, as is building the computer, drilling holes for fans/screws, gluing the Teac drive front to the dvd unit. The only slightly difficult part in the fabrication is mounting the drives, but I don't see that as too much of a challenge.

I've tried to find some info on the PSU's, the sound card is shielded well with its own cover, but I was considering making some sort of compartment to isolate the psu, and even the sound card too. How worthwhile would this be? Hell it might even fit in its case now I've got the 500.

Mounting the vfd involves crudeness to the front panel, swapping out the power/reset button's. An eject will be difficult, probably software only I'd say. Imon can do the VFD and remote but the screen is small. I'm struggling to find a screen to match the rest of the system, but I only have the cd so I guess it doesn't matter.

I was going to go overboard on airflow, all software or PWM controlled. Got good experience building a few htpc's previously, and that is a lesson you learn as you've said. Those big cases that Silverstone and a few other brands do are useless with 60mm fans.

If you have any thoughts on the psu/sound card situation that'd be great. Would being excessive with the shielding pay off here?

A

All-Or-Nothing

Audioholic Intern
Great Topic. I am searching right now for some components to gut and turn into an HTPC. I am also building an nMedia 6000B HTPC case right now. I completely understand the OP's point. I like for my components to match also....and it's kind of cool for the components to be stacked under the TV or where ever and people wonder where the PC is and it's right there stacked with all the other components.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

See I don't see it as minimization, just simplification. Mounting the board is easy, as is building the computer, drilling holes for fans/screws, gluing the Teac drive front to the dvd unit. The only slightly difficult part in the fabrication is mounting the drives, but I don't see that as too much of a challenge.

I've tried to find some info on the PSU's, the sound card is shielded well with its own cover, but I was considering making some sort of compartment to isolate the psu, and even the sound card too. How worthwhile would this be? Hell it might even fit in its case now I've got the 500.

Mounting the vfd involves crudeness to the front panel, swapping out the power/reset button's. An eject will be difficult, probably software only I'd say. Imon can do the VFD and remote but the screen is small. I'm struggling to find a screen to match the rest of the system, but I only have the cd so I guess it doesn't matter.

I was going to go overboard on airflow, all software or PWM controlled. Got good experience building a few htpc's previously, and that is a lesson you learn as you've said. Those big cases that Silverstone and a few other brands do are useless with 60mm fans.

If you have any thoughts on the psu/sound card situation that'd be great. Would being excessive with the shielding pay off here?
I would not use a separate sound and video card. Your space will be at a premium. So use a micro board that supports and integrated processor. Those boards already have variable motor speed Use an Intel Ivy Bride processor. An i3 should be OK for your needs, but you could use an i5 if you want. Put in 8 Gog of RAM. In that case you will likely have only room for one hard drive, but if you can get in a solid state hard drive for the operating system and storage that really helps. Use at leasr 8 gigs of RAM

If you are planning something crude, then design another way. Crude is never any good. Gluing is crude and will present a service nightmare. Find or fabricate fasteners. In electronics shielding components that radiate AC magnetic fields and RF is always a good idea.

Anyway now get on with it and share your build with us.

By the way my Silverstane cabinet is excellent and runs very cool with no audible noise.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Manufacturers just aren't there. Yet. Now some actually are but they are charging an arm and leg for the privilege. If you had access to a metal works shop you could potentially knock together a case by taking an existing case and modding a front. I would expect to go through a couple of oops iterations.

You could look at the Olive line up but they are only going to aesthetically match up with other Olive products.

Maybe this?:

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
I've spent a long time looking at HTPC cases, had a fair few but none really tickle my pickle. The above is nice, but still doesn't match. The loud silverstone I was talking about was this...

I'm not trying to knock other peoples setups if that is how it comes across.

I've made a start already, I'll start another thread for my project.

In the mean time I think people should post picture of aesthetically pleasing Stereo equipment. Doesn't even have to sound any good remember....

I'll make a start with my original plan, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...

nad3020.jpg

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
Looking at the nad, imagine updating the actual amp inside to more modern/smaller parts and fitting a pc in there.

A

All-Or-Nothing

Audioholic Intern
Looking at the nad, imagine updating the actual amp inside to more modern/smaller parts and fitting a pc in there.

Yeah it would be cool if you could fit a PC inside a Reciever and have it connected directly to the board and have a HTPC/Receiver all in one.

It would be what looks like just a standard Yamaha (for example) receiver but "WHalla"...HTPC combo with all the functionality of the Receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis