Mission 770 Freedom MK IV tweeter

M

Mlistens03

Enthusiast
I am restoring my beloved old Mission 770 Freedom MK IVs, and I think I’m gonna start by replacing the tweeters. I think that they have lost their ferrofluid, and have begun to kind of ring when playing. I heard that Scanspeak makes drop in replacements, but I can’t find them. I can’t even figure out which model Vifa is in them stock. I believe it I should a D26, but I am not sure. If any of you guys know and if you could tell me then that would be awesome.
BTW Thanks for your help with my DIY options, but that system at this point isn’t even put together and probably won’t be for a long time so I’m gonna wait on that but it will happen eventually :)
Thanks again,
Micah

M

Mlistens03

Enthusiast
Are these identical models, with the exact specs and everything? Are they up to the same quality in your opinion? And here is the big one, will they ship them to the USA? I don’t know how these speakers ended up in America but I bought them used around 6 months ago and now I want to fully restore them.
They really are awesome speakers, and after I replace these tweeters I’m gonna put new surrounds on the woofers, recap the crossovers, and then either refinish them or restore the finish already on them, although I think it’s probably too far gone for that (I didn’t ruin the finish! It was the original owner).
Is it easier just to put new ferrofluid in the tweeters? I didn’t realize that was an option until about a week ago, and it seems to be a lot cheaper, and then I use the original tweeters.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Are these identical models, with the exact specs and everything? Are they up to the same quality in your opinion? And here is the big one, will they ship them to the USA? I don’t know how these speakers ended up in America but I bought them used around 6 months ago and now I want to fully restore them.
They really are awesome speakers, and after I replace these tweeters I’m gonna put new surrounds on the woofers, recap the crossovers, and then either refinish them or restore the finish already on them, although I think it’s probably too far gone for that (I didn’t ruin the finish! It was the original owner).
Is it easier just to put new ferrofluid in the tweeters? I didn’t realize that was an option until about a week ago, and it seems to be a lot cheaper, and then I use the original tweeters.
Im pretty sure it isnt the OEM unit. As for getting it, should have no issue purchasing in the US from a few suppliers like parts express and others.

M

Mlistens03

Enthusiast
Im pretty sure it isnt the OEM unit. As for getting it, should have no issue purchasing in the US from a few suppliers like parts express and others.
Ok, thanks!
I think I will stick with putting new ferrofluid in the original tweeters, because then I am using the stock tweeters which for sure are perfect for the crossovers. Any suggestions on where to source ferrofluid?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, thanks!
I think I will stick with putting new ferrofluid in the original tweeters, because then I am using the stock tweeters which for sure are perfect for the crossovers. Any suggestions on where to source ferrofluid?
Parts express carries it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis