H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I doubt that, I think the treatment of cows in In-N-Out burgers doesn't quite compare to cows treatments in India ;-)
You got me on that one. Walked right into that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
In n out burger is the same way. I think their starting pay is something like $13/hr. It just tells me plenty of companies can pay their employees and still make a profit. If they can't, then maybe they aren't that good of a company.
Bingo... The" we'll go broke paying a living wage" has always been greed ...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That's already happened here( raising min. Wage).. It wasn't the end of the world.. A much more important issue is to raise social security to a living amount...
How much is too much for a McDonald's burger? Here, a 1/4 pounder with cheese meal is more than $8 and for the quality of that, I can go to several other places and get much better food. I can go to a lot of sit down restaurants for something that's equivalent (on paper) but far better. Hell, I could go to Domino's and get a large 3 topping pizza for $8.

highfigh

highfigh

Bingo... The" we'll go broke paying a living wage" has always been greed ...
If they'll go broke, they need to change their business model for existing goods/services or find something else to sell.

OTOH, if they have shareholders, look at them for the reason they "can't" pay more.

highfigh

highfigh

That sort of logic is like "you won't eat the moldy bread to survive, but it WAS an option"

Yes it's an option, but why is that the ONLY option for so many people?
If someone is hungry enough, yes, they'll eat moldy bread. It has been that way since bread began.

It has also been proposed as the reason people stopped being nomadic in some areas- they grew and harvested grains, piled it for later use and eventually, some adventurous soul decided they wanted to drink the runoff after a rain event. And that's how beer caused people to settle in one place for a long time.....:)

highfigh

highfigh

This is a vast oversimplification. DSL isn't just DSL, but 6-7 vastly different technologies. Cable internet is already at least on the 5th or 6th generation. The same goes for fiber etc...
The bottom line is DSL average download is between 1.5 and 3mbps down simply isn't compatible with current covid reality. Kids learn remotely. Zoom/Webex video meetings many times each day.
Seeing relatives - again back to Zoom etc. Watching movies? Netflix/amazon etc.. - good luck with streaming even 720p on a 1.5mbps internet line.

Let me ask you a counter-question - Why would major providers spend billions to upgrade their equipment then it could few millions to lobby governments to prohibit deployment of smaller (faster) alternatives?
This is exactly to my original point of not everything is a "free" market.
Wired Telcos are unfortunately a natural monopoly. If they to be treated like a utility (which I strongly support) then they should be regulated like utilities are. This is one of the cases where the free-market simply can't fix the situation.
Even richest companies in the world (Google, SpaceX) are struggling to bring significant options.
I had the slow speeds you mentioned, but it was a long time ago- when I switched to Spectrum a couple of years ago, I was seeing at least 15Mbps/5Mbps on a wired connection. Fast enough for many things, but video hardware has forced higher speed requirements.

In my area, the electric and gas companies were separate entities, then they merged. NOW, it's a freaking monopoly. Each was, on its own, but now, the electric portion is the single largest buyer of natural gas and they pretty much have their way with us. No dinner, no flowers.....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
How much is too much for a McDonald's burger? Here, a 1/4 pounder with cheese meal is more than $8 and for the quality of that, I can go to several other places and get much better food. I can go to a lot of sit down restaurants for something that's equivalent (on paper) but far better. Hell, I could go to Domino's and get a large 3 topping pizza for $8.
Micky d's isn't one of my favorites anyway but the $5 sandwiches here have no appeal for me at all... I do a piece of pizza at costco every now and then , but i really dont do fast food, they priced me out when they raised the prices.. When biden raises social security by 30% I'll go back...

highfigh

highfigh

Micky d's isn't one of my favorites anyway but the $5 sandwiches here have no appeal for me at all... I do a piece of pizza at costco every now and then , but i really dont do fast food, they priced me out when they raised the prices.. When biden raises social security by 30% I'll go back...
Do you have Culvers? I know you have Cousins subs- I would do either of those before McDonald's. I don't drink soda, so the meal doesn't interest me but I can get a half sub for less than $6-7 if I want to spend that much. Culvers is more, but they also have onion rings.

Is Prankster's still open? I think they closed.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Do you have Culvers? I know you have Cousins subs- I would do either of those before McDonald's. I don't drink soda, so the meal doesn't interest me but I can get a half sub for less than $6-7 if I want to spend that much. Culvers is more, but they also have onion rings.

Is Prankster's still open? I think they closed.
Yes we have a few Culvers.. I just don't do fast food in general , especially at the high prices... But i cook, I'm actually a good self taught survival cook.. My grandma taught me basics as a kid, then i just kept going..Edit .. My definition of survival cook: i can cook most anything without a recipe , just using common sense and imagination...

highfigh

highfigh

Yes we have a few Culvers.. I just don't do fast food in general , especially at the high prices... But i cook, I'm actually a good self taught survival cook.. My grandma taught me basics as a kid, then i just kept going..Edit .. My definition of survival cook: i can cook most anything without a recipe , just using common sense and imagination...
I only do fast food if I have coupins, earn a freebie or don't want to drag lunch with me. OTOH, the work I do is close to home, so it's no big deal to make something. I have surprised myself by looking at what I have and cobbling something together- one night I decided I wanted Ravioli, but I didn't have any sauce. I did have everything I needed to make it from scratch, though. I stopped buying sauce after that, although it is less expensive than using my own ingredients. I like mine because it's not as salty.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I only do fast food if I have coupins, earn a freebie or don't want to drag lunch with me. OTOH, the work I do is close to home, so it's no big deal to make something. I have surprised myself by looking at what I have and cobbling something together- one night I decided I wanted Ravioli, but I didn't have any sauce. I did have everything I needed to make it from scratch, though. I stopped buying sauce after that, although it is less expensive than using my own ingredients. I like mine because it's not as salty.
It's fun throwing stuff together... I buy canned sauce for the one reason: its like you say , cheaper... I do decent spaghetti but never tried ravioli ..my specialty is basic mexican food and basic American stand by's..

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Typical right wing fear rhetoric.. Sorry...Just the idea that letting the " owners" keep more money and that's going to help those that are in poverty is pure right wing bs...completely counterintuitive unless you want to believe it based on political grooming...

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

It's fun throwing stuff together... I buy canned sauce for the one reason: its like you say , cheaper... I do decent spaghetti but never tried ravioli ..my specialty is basic mexican food and basic American stand by's..
I bought the ravioli- I just needed sauce and didn't see a need to drive to the store to buy it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If someone is hungry enough, yes, they'll eat moldy bread. It has been that way since bread began.

It has also been proposed as the reason people stopped being nomadic in some areas- they grew and harvested grains, piled it for later use and eventually, some adventurous soul decided they wanted to drink the runoff after a rain event. And that's how beer caused people to settle in one place for a long time.....:)
It always comes back to beer.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
$15 an hour isn't realistic but no real suprise they're pushing that. I'm for giving state's the right to choose on that one. It will only increase unemployment. NY and CA makes more sense because the living cost is so high, but a national law on this isn't realist in say N/SD. If they do a national law on this then well obviously it has to be somewhere in the middle. I'd rather cut taxes but understand I voted for Biden to get Trump out.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If the sell of goods by a business can't keep up with the cost of providing this new wage, the first thing to happen is a layoff. Operating cost supported by sells drives the business. Maybe some major corporations ( Mickey D's, Burger King etc..) can handle it, but small businesses , well , it should be interesting.

highfigh

highfigh

OH, you have Comcrap, we have Rectum Cable. ( Spectrum) the worst customer service Ive ever seen.
No, we have Spectrum, but I don't use them for cable, only internet.

I have much better experiences with them than ATT- both can be OK for that, but ATT seems to try to avoid it at all costs. I called Spectrum tech support for a customer and it was a very pleasant experience. The main factor is about who answers the call and how interested are they in doing their job. I heard kids in the background and asked if she was working from home and she laughed, then said she was.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis