H

hotrize

Audiophyte
Hi. I just bought a balanced 2x4 dsp,and I'm having trouble figuring out routing. I am trying to eq bass in main speakers with dual subs.I now have bass from mains connected to outputs 1 and 2 and each sub to 3 &4.The plugin I'm using is the 2x4 advanced.
Please give me very detailed instructions on saving measurements and transferring them to dsp. Also getting measurements from rew to mini dsp. I am using windows 10.
The inputs I'm using are from left right sub outs. The preamp is emotiva xmc 1.Another question is after measurements are complete and i switch outputs back to main outputs nothing will change.1 last detail I am using 1 emotiva xsp1 1paradym servo 15 and 1 svs 16 ultra.
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED
THANKS HOTRIZE

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hi. I just bought a balanced 2x4 dsp,and I'm having trouble figuring out routing. I am trying to eq bass in main speakers with dual subs.I now have bass from mains connected to outputs 1 and 2 and each sub to 3 &4.The plugin I'm using is the 2x4 advanced.
Please give me very detailed instructions on saving measurements and transferring them to dsp. Also getting measurements from rew to mini dsp. I am using windows 10.
The inputs I'm using are from left right sub outs. The preamp is emotiva xmc 1.Another question is after measurements are complete and i switch outputs back to main outputs nothing will change.1 last detail I am using 1 emotiva xsp1 1paradym servo 15 and 1 svs 16 ultra.
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED
THANKS HOTRIZE

Hi! This is about to complicated!

The 2x4 balanced is intended for car audio.

You mentioned two different Emotiva preamps - the following applies to either model:

A 2x4 (plain) or 2x4 HD would be connected to the XMC1's subwoofer output(s) and then to the subwoofers.

The XMC1 Front L+R speaker outputs would be connected to the 2x4 and then connected to their amps. It is not often recommended to EQ passive speakers for first time users. Subwoofers have built in circuits to prevent being over driven, passive speakers do not.

Are you using a UMIK for REW, or comparable microphone? Are you experienced in taking acoustic measurements? REW and miniDSP allow easy transfer of data, there's a tab to import REW measurements in the miniDSP software.

Due to the wavelengths of bass frequencies being larger than most any domestic sized room, the room is firmly in control of what you can hear, when, and even WHERE in the room. Some have achieved acceptable results using the automated processes within REW/miniDSP but as an omni mic takes in sound from all directions, the dimensions of the room and placement of speakers/subs and listeners and even furniture directly affect what frequencies will be heard. The mic and the software are not capable of accounting for all of those factors, so 'your mileage may vary'.

Tip of the iceberg or entrance to the rabbit hole is a fair analogy to where you're at currently. There's a lot to learn and it becomes a question of your willingness to learn and to do a lot of work to get all of these components, including the room itself, working as a complete system.

H

hotrize

Audiophyte
Hi. I have a emotiva xpa gen 3 amp. I also have a mini dsp 2x4 balanced.The balanced has adjustable input sensitivity,either 2.0vrms or 4.0vrms.The input sensitivity on the amp is 1.5v. for 8 ohm load. I,m not sure which way to set it up. would appreciate knowledge.
Thanks hotrize.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
As I said in your last thread the mDSP 2x4 Balanced is intended for car audio.

You CANNOT plug your amp in to it.

Send it back and get the 2x4 (regular) or 2x4 HD - it has to be setup between your preamp and amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I said in your last thread the mDSP 2x4 Balanced is intended for car audio.

You CANNOT plug your amp in to it.

Send it back and get the 2x4 (regular) or 2x4 HD - it has to be setup between your preamp and amp.
Why can' t the balanced unit work?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

You seem confused as to how the miniDSP works. Basically, it’s an electronic crossover that divides an incoming signal into two outputs - high frequencies and low frequencies - with the capability to add equalization to both outputs.

If you want to EQ both your main speakers and subwoofers, you’ll have to use the pre-amp’s main front channel left and right outputs. The miniDSP will replace the pre-amp’s built-in bass management system – it will have to be bypassed and the pre-amp’s main outputs set for full-range.

The miniDSP’s high frequency output will go the amplifier the main speakers are connected to. You will not be able to simply “EQ bass in [the] main speakers,” as you can’t separate out the speaker’s woofers for separate processing.

The low frequency output will go to the subwoofers.

The miniDSP’s input sensitivity selection is merely for accommodating the pre-amp’s output voltage – it has nothing to do with the input sensitivity of the amplifier. Emotiva doesn’t seem to publish a Vrms figure for the outputs, so just set the miniDSP for 4 Vrms.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Why can' t the balanced unit work?
My bad, *SHOULD not*

LFE is a dedicated channel mixed into the sound track - that would be lost with a speaker level connection, which is what the Balanced model offers, it has no RCA inputs.

Further, an effective HT speaker crossover would be implemented before amplification, not after.

Wayne rightly points out the limited number (2) inputs of a 2x4. Ultimately the OP will need either a larger 'miniDSP in a box' model, or multiple 2x4's to satisfy speakers and subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My bad, *SHOULD not*

LFE is a dedicated channel mixed into the sound track - that would be lost with a speaker level connection, which is what the Balanced model offers, it has no RCA inputs.

Further, an effective HT speaker crossover would be implemented before amplification, not after.

Wayne rightly points out the limited number (2) inputs of a 2x4. Ultimately the OP will need either a larger 'miniDSP in a box' model, or multiple 2x4's to satisfy speakers and subs.
I just meant as opposed to the other 2x4 models.....just uses different connectors (I have both an unbalanced and balanced, the advantage of the balanced is higher output level).

Seems he's got the ability to use a minidsp just fine, altho I'm wondering just what speakers he has that he's trying to eq the bass with....perhaps speakers that have a powered "sub" built in?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I just meant as opposed to the other 2x4 models.....just uses different connectors (I have both an unbalanced and balanced, the advantage of the balanced is higher output level).

Seems he's got the ability to use a minidsp just fine, altho I'm wondering just what speakers he has that he's trying to eq the bass with....perhaps speakers that have a powered "sub" built in?
The OP is asking for detailed instruction on how to use them.

But you are exactly right, there could be a speaker with a built in sub, which will need an RCA input that the Balanced model does not offer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The OP is asking for detailed instruction on how to use them.

But you are exactly right, there could be a speaker with a built in sub, which will need an RCA input that the Balanced model does not offer.
I understand and am not volunteering to walk him thru everything, just trying to understand what he's got at the moment. The balanced model can still be used with the proper connector, even if an unbalanced connection on the sub/speaker.

PS I think the HD model would be better as well, tho (has more capabiities for delay as well).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Your XMC-1 already does this for you from what I can see. It seems the minidsp is unnecessary

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your XMC-1 already does this for you from what I can see. It seems the minidsp is unnecessary

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The XMC-1 can handle four subs for delay/level with only two sub outs?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

OP only has two subs. He hasn’t clarified if his speakers are standard full-range, or have separate “subwoofers” that he could equalize separately from the rest of the speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately we still don't know which preamp is being used, both the XMC and XSP were cited....

I don't think anyone is offering to do a walk thru of mDSP, but the lack of details or even consistent details is kinda making this a wash! Cheers, fella's!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis