Microsoft Xbox 360 Details & Specs

N

no man

Audioholic
Just out of curiosity..(this is open to anyone)..which consle would you get and why (keep it breif please)?

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
i would get the xbox 360 for 2 reasons...

1. i have an xbox now and if it is backwards compatible i won't have to keep my old xbox
2. there is a power button on the controller so my lazy a$$ doesn't have to get up to turn it off.

speaking of xbox 360, they have one of those "free xbox 360" sites
http://www.Free360XBOX.com

N

no man

Audioholic
i'd too go for xbox 360 as i've said before because i find it the best among the three

Last edited:
N

no man

Audioholic
whats the difference between 1080i and 1080p?

whats the difference between 1080i and 1080p?!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

"i" is interlaced and "p" means progressive.

At any rate, I do think the P3 will likely sport graphics significantly superior to the 360, but time will tell. Naturally not everyone will have a rig that can do justice to it, including the twin monitors, but that opens the doors to some amazing possibilities. I too don't want to get into a long technical detail, but deeper investigation does show the superiority of the new Sony machine. Even so, both will be fantastic. To be honest, if graphics never got much better than the current 'Box it wouldn't bother me.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
It's also twice as powerful (2 teraflops vs the 1 TF of the Box2), and supports 7 wireless controllers simultaneously. It looks like in pure horsepower, the new Box will get a mudhole stomped in its arse ( 3 x 3.2 gig procs in the 'box vs 7 x 3.2 procs combined in the Cell), but I'm sure it won't matter- both will look great.

Caution: I know little about this subject -- my response is an attempt to socialize. :)

1. The topology used by Sony in their game console computers such as PS2 and the upcoming PS3 is so different as to be very difficult to compare with any basic specifications from other topologies. At this time, probably only Sony and some game developers know how potentially powerful the PS3 system really is, but they will never tell. Regardless of how potentially powerful it may be, refer to (2).

2. If Sony's PS2 is an example, then Sony will produce a processor which it will not matter how much potential power it will have, because the programming will be radically different/complicated compared to others that most companies will only half-*** the game graphics and physics. Looking at PS2 games, only a handful(usually by SquareSoft - and even them on a few games) achieved really nice looking graphics on the PS2. On the flipside, it seemed rather easy for companies to get nice looking graphics on the Xbox.

-Chris

N

no man

Audioholic
Online abilities???

Now I dont know all that much about playstation, but for the p3 will it have live chat, i mean during games but no to the people you are playing with...say you have a friend in a different game that you want to talk to. I'm pretty sure that you can do that on xbox (and xbox360-probably) but i've got a gamecube so...i wouldnt know. Theres a really small chance that id get the revolution unless nintendo sticks an ethernet port on it and releases fully online games for it (like counterstrike :D ) and if its got a headset and stuff like xbox...then ill consider it. Probably the main influence might (might) be my friends...because...whats online play if you dont have anyone to play with (that you know i mean). The main thing that discourages me from all of them is that what if there is a glitch in the first couple months and they re-release it...will they recall all their units or am i going to have to fork over another 300 for another one (didnt xbox have this problem when it game out?? they tended to crash alot?? and ps2 re-release another one-not the skinny new one that you have to constantly unplug because they took that damn cooler out-one with a better graphic card or something...it had some wierd yellow sticker?) the gamecube didnt have these problem..and thats why i got it, but...its a long wait...i think the real battle between these systems will be around the october/november period.

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
I'm already sold on the 360.

I think it looks awesome and I love the controller and all the new features they've thought up. Just about everything they've come up with is to benefit the overall gaming experience. They've also seemed to round out their future game library alot more this time with more RPG's and fighting games, add to that Halo, Forza (awesome btw!), Fable, Perfect Dark Zero, Gears of War, Project Gotham Racing etc. etc. etc.

There's also this little game called Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion coming out on Xbox 360, which I must own and play way too much of. Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind is my favorite game of all time so....Xbox 360 here I come! :D

The PS3 is impressive on paper, but all these computer hardware tech sites seem to be actually giving the edge in power to the 360 now, though I don't understand the tech-spec side of things, I put alot more trust in unbiased hardware tech sites than Sony execs and PR. The PS3 controller is not something that looks comfortable to play either, and that's a major turnoff for a console. I don't understand why it doesn't have triggers and the skewed analog sticks like the Xbox controllers, which is absolutley perfect especially for FPS and racing games. But oh well.

Some things I hope for the 360 to improve before it launches though is a dedicated optical audio output port on the back, and support for DVI and HDMI output (though I assumed you would be able to buy a "A/V pack" type thing that would have DVI or HDMI output, purchased seperately?) If it's that the 360 can't support DVI/HDMI output through its proprietary plug then that's lame.

The Revolution is intersting, though little is known, but damn I want one just to play Gamecube games that I've missed out on, and more importantly the entire Nintendo backlog of NES, SNES, and N64 titles! I'll definately be picking up a Revolution if the price is right.

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
How many people own not one (there's few enough of these), but two HDTV's capable of 1080p? That's all I'm wondering.

And yeah, it's going to require that developers actually program their games for 1080p, which I don't see happening very often considering game development costs are already going to be going up alot.

But it is a cool feature, and I would love to have the financial ability to take advatage of that :)

Sony is really throwing alot of expensive technology into the PS3 that the vast majority of people won't even be able to use. I'm just wondering how they're going to keep the cost down?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Better yet - How many TVs not only display 1080p but ACCEPT 1080p on the input?

Knowing that the Sharp does not - and there are only a few projectors I know of that do.

Maybe some of the 23" 1920x1200 PC monitors?

Gotta say though, for head-to-head competition, the idea of a single box running really high resolution to two monitors in a room sounds really cool. No more split screen and getting confused. Just your own dedicated screen and your opponents own dedicated screen.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
By this time next year, there should be more 1080p sets.

Id bet there already is a DLP chip that does 1080p but until recently why would Texas Instruments have wanted to push them out. More people to buy 720p systems now who will buy 1080p systems too, sooner or later.

Ive had my Sharp XV-Z12000 for only 1.5 years now, but id be tempted to get a 1080p DLP projector if Sharp came out with one.

N

no man

Audioholic
I personally feel that sony's waisting their money on the dual 1080p output...not many people have TWO of em...the majority of people who own a tv that can support it only have one. and as said before the PS3's controlls are alll skrewed up...they look like a gayass boomarang...now im not all that into tv (which is proven by the fact that ive only got two standard tvs-20" and a 28"-they 28" gets the xbox (of cource..)) but once i get my box that'll probably change. Although there may be a growing popularity for 1080p i think it will be more emphisized for the xbox 3 or whatever (the next next generation of gaming consoles) by then i think 1080p will be more popular and there may be somwthing better (2160p possibly???time will tell...) i think that microsoft should make the box support 1080p but...then again i wont care...actually i think its good the way it is...so what if PS3 has dual output...i doubt people will drag both their 1080p tv's in the same room just to play sum game...ps is more for sport games as ive noticed...more e-t ratings....anyway i think its awsome that the xbox will be able to hook up with your computer...ill be looking forward to that....ill need a long cable tho...two rooms down to it...hmm ill just drill a hole thu the wall so its all good

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I'm for sure getting an Xbox360, but only because I'm so sold on the current 'box. While I absolutely despise Halo 2 for crippling the gameplay mechanics of the first Halo, the Halo franchise along with Microsoft's ownership of Rare is all I need to stay loyal. Knowing that Ninja Gaiden 2 is 360 bound along with other Team Ninja games is a wonderful bonus.

With Xbox, there were only a handful of titles worth getting that were exclusive to other consoles. All multiplatform titles looked and sounded better on Xbox as well. The few games that I wanted to play from other systems I didn't have time to play, so buying those consoles was out of the question. I've really become a one-console man. I used to do the whole A/V switchbox thing with five different consoles, but I'm all about reducing clutter... and the 360 aims to please.

The new GUI looks amazing and there's just no way around it, Live is the greatest online attraction since eBay (and audioholics.com </brownnose>). Combined with all its multimedia potential, it is THE toy to get this Christmas.

no man: Xbox360 supports in-game and out of game video and voice chat along with text messaging. Camera sold seperately.

N

no man

Audioholic
I've just got one more question (new ones will probably arise later..) that being will xbox live be used for the xbox 360 or will it be seperate because some of my friends (who own xbox and xbox live) won't be getting xbox 360 immediately...so what i'm saying is...will i be able to chat with them or no?

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Xbox Live is sort of independent of whether you're on Xbox or Xbox360. Obviously videochat will only be for Xbox360 along with the more advanced features like "gamercard" "achievements" and such. If you are playing an online game (either an Xbox game or 360 game) you can send invites to your friends along with text or voice messages and vice versa. So let's say I don't have an Xbox360 and I'm playing Crimson Skies on my Xbox. You could be playing Perfect Dark Zero and send me an invite with the voice message of "Hey Nick, you suck because you don't have a 360! Neener, neener, neener!" You could also put in Crimson Skies into you Xbox360 and we could play and chat together, no prob.

So basically, Live doesn't change. My current Live account will work whether I'm using my Xbox or Xbox360.

It's important to note that every Xbox360 comes with Xbox Live built in. The ONLY thing you need to be a subscriber for is actual online play. Every other feature of Live is available to you out of the box... assuming you have broadband... or if you have dial-up and are clever.

N

no man

Audioholic
k so maybe the ps3 will have slightly better graphics, that doesn't really attract me to it because ive only got 2 rear projection tv's, no lcd or dlp or hd..just the basic ones, so the ps3 having the capasity it has doesn't matter to me, the xbox 360 has good games, good graphics, and it comes out earlier. i'm not saying that the ps3 or revolution don't/won't have good graphics or games, i'm just saying that i prefer the xbox360 (just to avoid any confusion..)

N

no man

Audioholic
in my poll the xbox 360 is winning over the ps3 at 142 to 114, sadly the revolution is beating the ps3 at 117 to 114..i think its the price that throws most people off the ps3

if you havn't voted yet you can go to http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10585 to vote for the system you like best...please dont sign out and vote a bunch of times for one system.. i'd like a fair result, thanks

N

no man

Audioholic
Sony anounced that their target audience for the ps3 is not the common household..

Sony also said that in the first year of the ps3's release they're going to loose about 1.8 billion dollars, they do this to get their name out, they dont care about the profit from the console, the money comes from the games. but its a really stupid idea to not target the majority of people, who's gonna buy it? people who saved up enough and the upper class, which accounts for about 2 percent of people worldwide..maybe even less than that. and they're using new untested technology for it, remember when the xbox first came out, all the crashing and freezing, now imagine what the ps3's going to be like..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis