Medical Marijuana,Legal or not.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Getting High For Your Health

Researchers find promising antibacterial agents in marijuana
By Rachel Durfee

Cannabis connoisseurs, former hippies, and college kids everywhere have long appreciated marijuana for its seemingly magical effects on mind and body. The fact that it is illegal (at least in the United States), has never stopped people from partaking in a little herbal refreshment. But it isn’t just Phish fans who have argued for the legalization of the popular recreational drug. Legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, specifically to alleviate the pain of those afflicted with glaucoma, is a contemporary and fairly widespread cause. But even since the 1950s, scientists have recognized, and pushed for, the antibacterial properties of Cannabis sativa.

Most recently, positive publicity for pot has emerged via a group of Italian and British researchers experimenting with tetrahydrocannabinol—the main active ingredient in marijuana. More commonly known as THC (because, let’s face it, anyone under its influence isn’t going to be able to get that octosyllabic word out of his mouth), the compound and its related compounds have proven themselves effective antibacterial agents.

A team of scientists led by Giovanni Appendino at the University of Eastern Piedmont tested the five most common cannabinoids (a group of substances that are structurally related to THC) and found each one to be effective against several common multiresistant bacterial strains. The findings were published in the Journal of Natural Products, where the team also suggested that cannabinoids without psychotropic properties may be even more useful in fighting off bacterial diseases.

Back in the fifties, scientist didn’t know much about the chemical make up of marijuana. They tested it as an agent against various infections, but their experiments never reached the practical stage. Half a century later, researchers are able to look more closely at the potential medicinal properties of the plant; however, they are still unsure of how exactly the cannabinoids work and how effective they would end up being. More research and experimentation is needed if they expect to transition it into systemic antibiotics. Still, strides are being made. Scientists say THC could be ready for use in the near(er) future as a combatant against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), an often fatal bacteria responsible for difficult-to-treat infections in humans, commonly found in hospitals or jails, where the residents have open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems. The compound would serve as a topical agent, preventing microbes from colonizing on the skin. Whatever name you choose to call it—pot, reefer, weed, hemp—cannabis could end up being the drug for microbial strains that no other drugs can cure.

That’s one small step for medicine, one giant leap for marijuana.

http://www.popsci.com/rachel-durfee/article/2008-09/getting-high-your-health

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thats great to hear. I guess cancer patients never had a chance. But bacteria has got it in the bag(no pun intended)....:eek::D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
You havn't posted in a while hifihoney, the last time i heard your wife was in the hospital. Just wanted to post this because I was curious how she is doing? Hope all is well with the both of you...keep on chillin':).
Howdy fellers,lotsa stuff been happening in my personal life with the wife being sick,several more surgeries have left her drained but getting a bit better.

Been quite an ordeal with the doctors also,she had one doctor refuse her as a patient because she uses marujuana,what a joke that old fool was,i let him have it with both barrels.

Funny that the very same doctor who released her as a patient because of her dangerous use of marijuana was prescribing her 80mg's of Oxycontin to be taken twice daily,were talking about a pain killer that is as strong as any pain killer can ever be & strong enough to effectively treat terminal cancer patients,but marijuana was bad for her :mad::rolleyes:

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah Minus good call. Where ya at there HI FI? I hope all is well in your world. I also hope your wife is at home with you. Best wishes let us know how your doin buddy.:)
The wifes been having a tough go of it for sure but she's hanging in there,her medical treatments have not left me much free time for audio related activities,infact most of my audio hobby is on the back burner for a spell,the only gear ive messed with has been the behringer A500 that WMAX gave me a few months back,nice lil amp too :D

We also had to have our beloved bulldog aryan put down a while back & that left the entire family drained,that dog meant the world to us all & was a great loss when she passed,it sucks being old i swear :mad:

Lately when i do have the free time ive been spending the time helping the younger generation to set up their grow rooms & teaching them to grow properly,just like audio there is lotsa snake oil in marijuana growing where vulture salesmen take advantage of ignorant newbs & sell them outragously priced products promising the world.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Been a while since ive posted in this thread,were allmost legal now here in Michigan,the bill to allow limited use of medical marijuana passed by a huge margin :D:D:D,now were waiting for our a-hole govenor to sign it into law so the lawmakers & medical establishment can put together all the needed paperwork for approved users to conform to.

They are still undecided as to anything other than plant count which is supposed to be a 12 count limit,this limit can be higher if another approved user signs over their right to grow to another approved user, then the plant count can be as high as 60 plants max,a single grower will be alloweed (pun intended) to grow for a maximum of 5 people.

Both myself & the wife easily qualify for the program & meet all critera needed for approval but we must still wait a lil longer.

What most experienced med growers are waiting the outcome of is the breeding stock/cloning issue & how it's going to be resolved,there will have to be an inclusion allowing additional plants to allow for mother plants that will be kept for sacrifical cloning methods.

Were also waiting for language clarification to spell out exactly where we can grow & still remain legal,this area is still 100% grey area.

Ive spent quite a bit of time recently helping build a few safe & secure grow rooms for several other people we know who will surely be accepted as approved users,it feels good setting up a room for somebody who is clueless how to grow healthy buds or how to put together a room that will pass electrical code & fire code.

The way it stands right now with us is this,once were 100% legally allowed to grow 24 plants between the 2 of us i will offer help to any Michigan patient with the proper paperwork,this includes setting up rooms,teaching different grow methods ranging from soil to full blown flood & drain hydroponic systems,we will also offer free breeding stock in the form of clones taken from medical grade strains to elderly & low income users,right now a small group of us is working with a hydroponic supply house trying to get discounted rates on grow gear so we may be able to help cut set up costs as well.

All of the above depends on language clarification of the law that is still being worked out between all the agencies involved,we will only help in ways that conform in a 100% legal manner as to not jeapordize ourselves or others,we want this new law to work & have no plans to exploit it for our benifit.

Once this law moves from grey area to applied law i will post more on how & who we can legaly help .

J

jamie2112

Banned
Hey buddy glad to see you posting again. Thanks for the update and you have been gone so long we now have penis enlarging ads here. Isn't that rad dude:eek::D Seriously glad to have you back...

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting thread.

Florida still hasn't had any progress with medical marijuana or deciminalization, I hope this changes in the future. I know that Obama is for decriminalization, so maybe state governments will follow the lead of federal if Obama is able to make that change.

Regarding marijuana and the bacterial infections, I've noticed that if I'm getting a bit sick and roll a joint that night sometimes the sickness bypasses me. Like I'll be getting a cold and I'll smoke up and it'll be gone the next morning. This only seems to work if I catch it right at the beginning, and I obviously have no real proof, it could all be in my head. However, I have notice that when I smoke marijuana daily I don't get sick as much as when I'm not smoking.

The thing that gets me with the arguements against medical marijuana is that they think the only way to use it is to "get stoned" and they don't realize that, like anything, its dosage controlled. Sometimes I'll take a baby hit in the morning or before going out just to chill out a bit and help me concentrate (which in low doses it actually helps), without smoking enough to get stoned.

S

sitting_duck

Enthusiast
legal

First of all, I do not smoke pot. With that said, I feel that whatever a person wants to do with his or her own body is up to them. Even if its bad for them. Also, if by smoking pot can help a person medically, what kind of jerk would be against that? There are plenty but I cant understand why.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting thread.

Florida still hasn't had any progress with medical marijuana or deciminalization, I hope this changes in the future. I know that Obama is for decriminalization, so maybe state governments will follow the lead of federal if Obama is able to make that change.

Regarding marijuana and the bacterial infections, I've noticed that if I'm getting a bit sick and roll a joint that night sometimes the sickness bypasses me. Like I'll be getting a cold and I'll smoke up and it'll be gone the next morning. This only seems to work if I catch it right at the beginning, and I obviously have no real proof, it could all be in my head. However, I have notice that when I smoke marijuana daily I don't get sick as much as when I'm not smoking.

The thing that gets me with the arguements against medical marijuana is that they think the only way to use it is to "get stoned" and they don't realize that, like anything, its dosage controlled. Sometimes I'll take a baby hit in the morning or before going out just to chill out a bit and help me concentrate (which in low doses it actually helps), without smoking enough to get stoned.
Damm,florida has not made progress foward but it's sure went backwards,have you looked at the new penalties in Fla,its became one of the harshest states in the usa:eek:,its insane to think that we all allow our government to continue the age old propaganda machine in their phony war on pot,what makes me sick the most is not the punishment phase they hide behind,its the assault on my intelligence when they try to force feed outright lies down our throats.

Dig the laws in your state, possesion of one ounce of weed is a 5 year felony & a $5,000 fine,getting caught growing 25 plants will get you 15 years in prison plus a $10,000 fine,for those who believe the government propaganda, the weights the government uses for home grown indoor plants are purely lies,contrary to info spoon to the media that an indoor plant is capable of producing a pound of marijuana, an average indoor plant will produce about an ounce of weed,so a guy will get 15 years for growing 1.5 lbs of marijuana plus $10k in fines,something is bad wrong in florida.

Who votes for these people anyways.

Good luck my friend,stay safe.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Damm,florida has not made progress foward but it's sure went backwards,have you looked at the new penalties in Fla,its became one of the harshest states in the usa:eek:,its insane to think that we all allow our government to continue the age old propaganda machine in their phony war on pot,what makes me sick the most is not the punishment phase they hide behind,its the assault on my intelligence when they try to force feed outright lies down our throats.

Dig the laws in your state, possesion of one ounce of weed is a 5 year felony & a $5,000 fine,getting caught growing 25 plants will get you 15 years in prison plus a $10,000 fine,for those who believe the government propaganda, the weights the government uses for home grown indoor plants are purely lies,contrary to info spoon to the media that an indoor plant is capable of producing a pound of marijuana, an average indoor plant will produce about an ounce of weed,so a guy will get 15 years for growing 1.5 lbs of marijuana plus $10k in fines,something is bad wrong in florida.

Who votes for these people anyways.

Good luck my friend,stay safe.

Its the rest of the state, not South Florida and the Keys. The rest of Florida is like old people and rednecks.

I think part of the reason the laws are strict down here is because we had a lot of violence in the 80s with the coke rush and people still remember that. Violence, that ironically, was caused by prohibition in the first place.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
It would be nice to have a Stoners Lounge on here. Maybe even hidden for non-registered members. chill discussions, whatcha listenin too, music while stoned, stories....etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis