Media Server, PC or PS3?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
My concern is I need the audio to be lossless/perfect cd quality. Im not sure if I use FLAC as a format, then use the digital audio out on my ps3, how common it is for AV receivers or a external DAC or premap- to support flac...Can find much info on this...
I don't have a PS3. I do have several NMT devices that I stream FLAC and mp3's with from my server.

It depends on how your PS3 is outputting the FLAC files.

M

mibson

Audioholic
Why not waves?!

I agree if you have the space use it, you know you were also talking about another problem I had to with having my computer downstairs and wanting to listen to it in my bedroom. So I want out an bought the airport express by Apple its a pretty neat divice. it streams music from my Mac/Pc to my upstairs reciever through my WIFi and I can control it through my itouch that works like a remote thanks to a piece of software from a third party. Check it out.
Ive decided to use hardwire(Ethernet) because I cant deal with lag, when watching/rewinding/fast forwarding movies.

I think Im just going to use waves, also this way I dont have to worry about flac or wma not being supported in the future after I spend days/weeks/months digitizing my cds...

What I dont understand is why more people dont use wavs? there are not compatibility issues, and hard drives are so big and cheep...:confused:

M

mibson

Audioholic
I don't have a PS3. I do have several NMT devices that I stream FLAC and mp3's with from my server.

It depends on how your PS3 is outputting the FLAC files.
I would use optical or HDMI...

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Ive decided to use hardwire(Ethernet) because I cant deal with lag, when watching/rewinding/fast forwarding movies.
Excellent choice. I commend you for this and you will not regret it. If you are running new cable I would suggest running several lines even if they are not to be used of CAT6 or CAT5e for future endeavors.

I think Im just going to use waves, also this way I dont have to worry about flac or wma not being supported in the future after I spend days/weeks/months digitizing my cds...

What I dont understand is why more people dont use wavs? there are not compatibility issues, and hard drives are so big and cheep...:confused:
There is always the potential for compatibility issues, just keep that in mind. But with the WAV files you do leave yourself more options for conversion I think.

I would use optical or HDMI...
Well it depends still. You would be avoiding any DAC prior to reaching your Receiver in theory. However this all depends on what method you use to get the audio to the PS3. If you are using PS3Server then I think this is in essence doing a software DAC or transcoding to the appropriate format that the PS3 can handle. I'm not sure though as I do not have a PS3 so hopefully someone that has this setup will chime in.

M

mibson

Audioholic
Thanks for that post, I didnt know ethernet cables could be different...I have not been working in IT now for over 15 years...

Also, regarding the ps3server transcoding, this is my concern. I need to learn how to do this without a loss of sound quality, and I want to do all this research before I buy what I need to make sure I dont buy anything I dont need....

This is what I want:
1) to store movies and audio on my pc in full quality...
2) to have these movies and audio "sent" to my ps3 via ethernet cable
3) have a digital out on my ps3 to a decoder or dac or receiver so that I dont loose any quality

Right now I only have a 2.0 setup with no digital input on my preamp. But I will buy what I need to do this as soon as I can figure out the best way to do it...

E

Elva

Audiophyte
networked media player

I think maybe you are talking about the HD networked media player. It's really a wonderful stuff. It can be connected to your pc and your big screen. It's 1080p model. With its stereo double audio output (Audio R/L), you can enjoy high definition stereo sound. When it is connected to your PC, you can play files from your PC directly. These are all i know, if you want to know more, the link is: www.elektron-china.com
Hope it can help you.

E

Elva

Audiophyte
This is what I want:
1) to store movies and audio on my pc in full quality...
2) to have these movies and audio "sent" to my ps3 via ethernet cable
3) have a digital out on my ps3 to a decoder or dac or receiver so that I dont loose any quality

For your situation, one networked media player can fix. Because it has built-in hard disk which can store full high definition movies and audio files. Also it can remove the files to PC through the USB port. It support audio decode formats of Flac, MPEG Audo layer 1&2, mp3, OGG, AC3, AAC,WMA, WMA RPO, DD5.1, DTS original data output. This is for reference, i haven't clear the actual situations of you. Hope it can help.

M

mibson

Audioholic
HD networked media player

Thanks!

Ill look into the HD networked media player, however it seems it does not support 7.1/ DTS HD? also the cost, I thought since Ive built pcs before and I already have a ps3 that there would be a way to do this at reduced cost with what I have already....

I would just build a HTPC but the noise is a concern...this is why I thought I could have a htpc in the basement and use my ps3 as an interface...

Perhaps building a HTPC, keeping it in the basement, and using blue tooth keyboard mouse to access it is something I need to consider...

wow! the prices are very low
http://www.gogofan.com/HD-Media-Player-s/3.htm?gclid=CKm-9vKd254CFRHyDAodl18RMg
I dont understand how these prices can be a reality!?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, those network media players do not support DTS-HD MA/TrueHD at all.

In the HTPC world today, your best option for DTS-HD/TrueHD is the ATI Radeon 5xxx card + PDVD9Ultra.

I don't think there is anything wrong with simply using your PS3 + Receiver for MUSIC.

Keep it simple if you don't want to spend all that money. It will sound just as good as any expensive HTPC.:D

E

Elva

Audiophyte
networked media player

Wow, i know one kind of networked media player which can support DTS stereo and 5.1 tracks as well as DTS-HD, True HD. It's EHP-700 networked media player. And it has adopted the uniquely-created whole unit heat elimination to make sure the unit mute with very excellent stability and it is no problem to play the unit more than 72 hours. My friends ever used one set of EHP-608 which is really easy to use. I remember that the price of her EHP-608 is USD 169. Maybe the price for EHP-700 would be a little higher.

R

rayneman725

Enthusiast
their are a few computer programs that will stream HD to your ps3, I know vuze is one of them, I think media stream may be another. I think WD makes something to that is a media player similar to the ps3 and cheaper. But the PS3 is awsome you just need to set up the the audio/video output to the right settings. Its basically a high end pc if its used right.

R

rayneman725

Enthusiast
I have to agree keep it simple the PS3 has true-hd, DTS, dolby 5.1 and 7.1 you really can not go wrong. Plus it is very user friendly with its function and it has a lot of you-tube/hack sites that can help with any other ideas/problems you may have. With the price these days being 290.00 it has become much cheaper, I paid twice that when it first came out. Not to mention the games are amazing and I am not even a big gamer.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
one problem with using the PS3 is if you have whole house audio, most using analog connections.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The problem with using a PS3 is that unless you mod it then it has limited support for audio and video formats. Don't get me wrong it's a great Blu-Ray player, but it won't play back FLACs.

A simple and inexpensive solution is a media player. I've retired my media PC and replaced it with a Western Digital TV Live media player ($120). It plays FLACs flawlessly across my network and DVD rips (VOB and ISO) flawlessly across my home network. I just don't have enough bandwidth or it would play BD rips. As it is I've tested BD rips using an external hard drive and they played fine. It's set to send a digital feed to my receiver and I use the receiver's decoding capabilities and DACs. The remote is a bit clunky but usable and the interface is well designed. The Asus O Play (~$100) is another option. I'm still in the testing phase with my WD TV Live but so far I'm thinking it's a keeper.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis