Measurement results of Soundbars

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have two soundbar systems, one per guest room, that Im going to take in room measurements of because I'm really curious how they fare. Its a morbid curiosity. :) I will measure and post the results sometime next week.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I feel like this will be like taking pictures driving by a car wreck. Lol!!!
Actually I’m curious to what you’ll find. Will be interesting for sure.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OK results are in. The sound bars are in two different rooms so these are in room responses thus making comparisons similar to apples and oranges.... even though I made a comparison. :rolleyes:

The measurement setup
IMG_7442.jpg
IMG_7443.jpg

Bedroom 2 has the JBL soundbar with a 10" bottom firing sub located at the front right of the bed.

Pre_Post JBL Calibration Bass Set to Low.jpg

Post JBL Calibration Bass Set to Low and High.jpg

Bedroom 3 has the Monoprice Dolby Atmos with surround speakers and an 8" sub

IMG_7444.jpg
IMG_7445.jpg

EQ curves of Monoprice Soundbar.jpg

A comparison between the two rooms and their soundbars. I chose the movie EQ on the Monoprice as it boots the EQ of the bass the most but the bass control itself is set to 0 from a range of -6 to +6.

JBL_MonoPrice Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK results are in. The sound bars are in two different rooms so these are in room responses thus making comparisons similar to apples and oranges.... even though I made a comparison. :rolleyes:

Bedroom 2 has the JBL soundbar with a 10" bottom firing sub.

View attachment 58117

View attachment 58119

Bedroom 3 has the Monoprice Dolby Atmos with surround speakers and an 8" sub

View attachment 58120

A comparison between the two rooms and their soundbars. I chose the movie EQ on the Monoprice as it boots the EQ of the bass the most but the bass control itself is set to 0 from a range of -6 to +6.

View attachment 58116
That JBL red trace is not that bad. The sub seems hot on all of the traces.

The red JBL trace really has a pretty good mid band response. That confirms what we all know, that small speakers break up much higher and out of the speech discrimination band. The first serious break up mode is not until 9KHz! You can se those small drivers are struggling below 500 Hz, as you get into the major power band. There are high priced speakers with a lot worse mid band response than those. I'm still not in the market for a sound bar, though.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That JBL red trace is not that bad. The sub seems hot on all of the traces.

The red JBL trace really has a pretty good mid band response. That confirms what we all know, that small speakers break up much higher and out of the speech discrimination band. The first serious break up mode is not until 9KHz! You can se those small drivers are struggling below 500 Hz, as you get into the major power band. There are high priced speakers with a lot worse mid band response than those. I'm still not in the market for a sound bar, though.
Red is Monoprice, Green is JBL. I wasn't going to put seperates in the guest rooms as there is no point. I already have 3 AVR based systems at home. The Monoprice and the TCL display come back and forth seasonally, summers at the trailer cottage, winters at home.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I never thought of doing this. I might have to measure my lone soundbar in the master bedroom.

It'll be bad though, but I'm still curious.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I never thought of doing this. I might have to measure my lone soundbar in the master bedroom.

It'll be bad though, but I'm still curious.
Yeah I know. Its a morbid curiosity and according to Mark, the JBL measures pretty decent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis