McIntosh's Most Powerful 2CH Amp Ever Unveiled!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Regardless, no $9000.00 amp for me. This product is for someone like Bill Gates or Tim Cook.
There is a substantial target market with budgets between Bill Gates and you. According to this article, there were over 73,000 people in the US in 2016 with a net worth of $30 million dollars or more:

http://time.com/money/4833875/ultra-wealthy-americans-millionaire-billionaire/

I suspect that number is approaching 100,000 people in 2018.

Lower the bar to a mere few million dollars in assets and I'm guessing the population in the US alone is more than five million people.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Audiophile companies need rich people. I suppose that McIntosh is a good value when you think about it.

After all, the Pass Labs X260.8 mono amp is priced at $13,500.00 ea. And you gotta have two of those, so you had better figure on spending around $27,000,00 just to power the speakers. Now that's high-priced electrons.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Audiophile companies need rich people.
Like it or not, we all need rich people. They pay most of the taxes. The top 1% pay more than half of all federal income taxes. The percentage is probably at least that much for state and local income taxes too.

As an aside, the people I appreciate most are smokers. Here in CA, a pack of cigarettes costs about $5.00. That's unreal, especially for a product that probably has a production cost of less than 50 cents. If any of you smoke, a profound thank you from me. You're helping to keep taxes lower for the rest of us, and you tend to die younger too, reducing the Social Security pay-out burden. :)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Like it or not, we all need rich people. They pay most of the taxes. The top 1% pay more than half of all federal income taxes. The percentage is probably at least that much for state and local income taxes too.

As an aside, the people I appreciate most are smokers. Here in CA, a pack of cigarettes costs about $5.00. That's unreal, especially for a product that probably has a production cost of less than 50 cents. If any of you smoke, a profound thank you from me. You're helping to keep taxes lower for the rest of us, and you tend to die younger too, reducing the Social Security pay-out burden. :)
Create an audiophile tax then. They can afford it.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Regardless, no $9000.00 amp for me. This product is for someone like Bill Gates or Tim Cook.
That's not expensive enough for them.

How about the new Accuphase A-75 Class A Integrated Stereo amp with rated output of 60w/ch at 8ohms and 120w/ch for a 4 ohm load. It sells for close to US$20,000:

accuphase-a75__large_full.jpg

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
That's not expensive enough for them.

How about the new Accuphase A-75 Class A Integrated Stereo amp with rated output of 60w/ch at 8ohms and 120w/ch for a 4 ohm load. It sells for close to US$20,000:

View attachment 25430
Good grief. At least with that audiophile tax the rest of us would get some benefit.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

$5 is cheap from what I've seen in stores here in Virginia... Newports and Marlboros trend around $6. And we grow tobacco in this part of the country.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What? If you had $500 Billion, you wouldn't buy some $250K amps? :D
I would, but that's why I don't get rich!!:D

Was told by someone rich, that it would be difficult to make money from rich people, in general..

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Was told by someone rich, that it would be difficult to make money from rich people, in general..
I think that rich person is full of baloney. Let's see, how many people/companies can we name who make tons of money only on rich people:

Auction houses (most have a substantial buyer's fee, that's purely incremental over the winning bid)
Real estate agents, both residential and commercial
Wealth managers (the companies and the people)
Business / personal jet manufacturing & leasing companies
Personal jet airlines (like NetJets - which is Birkshire Hathaway company for a reason)
High-end watch makers
Luxury car manufacturers and dealers
Craftsmen who outfit private jets and yachts

Need I go on?

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
From the perspective of someone that's about to buy a AVR for around $3000, I must ask, for that price... where the hell are the other nine channels? :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
From the perspective of someone that's about to buy a AVR for around $3000, I must ask, for that price... where the hell are the other nine channels? :)
Quite sure you will never see 9chs from them, unless you wanna lift a 400# amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I had $500 Billion, I would open an AV company with a business model of not making any money (selling for a loss).

It would just be for pleasure - giving back to the community. :D

Regarding making money off rich people, I depends on how you define "rich".

I bet is really easy to make money from people who have $500 billion.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You forgot audiophile hifi companies. :D
Purposely. I don't think any of them make a lot of money. I think they're mostly more hobbies than businesses. McIntosh is probably more of an exception than the norm. Putting their names on automotive systems seems like their primary money-making plan lately.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Purposely. I don't think any of them make a lot of money. I think they're mostly more hobbies than businesses. McIntosh is probably more of an exception than the norm. Putting their names on automotive systems seems like their primary money-making plan lately.
I bought one of their car amps back in the Clarion days. Its was like $700 for a 300w mono. Sold it for about what I paid. It seems audio licensing to manufacturers with exclusivity is growing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that rich person is full of baloney. Let's see, how many people/companies can we name who make tons of money only on rich people:

Auction houses (most have a substantial buyer's fee, that's purely incremental over the winning bid)
Real estate agents, both residential and commercial
Wealth managers (the companies and the people)
Business / personal jet manufacturing & leasing companies
Personal jet airlines (like NetJets - which is Birkshire Hathaway company for a reason)
High-end watch makers
Luxury car manufacturers and dealers
Craftsmen who outfit private jets and yachts

Need I go on?
I think ADTG may be right, it depends on how we define rich. I was thinking 10-20 million dollar rich, not the 10-50 billion rich. To me, even if you have only USD 9 million net worth, you are rich, and if I have that much, I know what kind of amp(s) I am going to buy and I won't wait for clearance price either.:D

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"I think they're mostly more hobbies than businesses."

Just hobbies acting as companies, well that is interesting. It's a bit like candle making I suppose. I wonder if guys like Robert Harley know this?

I still remember looking at that Krell 2-channel system in an audiophile showroom recently and being aghast by the price. It's good to know it's just a hobby for the manufacturer and has no profit-margin.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis