D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I got 'em but before I loaded 'em up, Dennis a/b'ed them against his Phil3s. I was a little too tired to be able to make good observations except that the bottom ends were remarkably similar. The floor rumble produced by Fanfare for the Common Man surprised me. To quote Dennis, "at 1/10th the price". :)
I'm glad to see you made it back awake. The speaks were only 1/10th the price of the 3's, but most people don't have to drive 16 hours to pick up a pair of Philharmonics.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm very jealous.
You just scored a pair of SongTowers recently, right?
That's how it started for me too.

you graciously just saved younger Alex some money. :)
Anything else he get's instead will only cost more.
I'm afraid that in the long run this is going to cost him.

you now have 3 different Dennis Murphy designed speakers.
I'm taking the MB27s to use as surrounds in the living room. I'll miss their looks in ManTown but can't wait to let loose with that OW1 tweeter. Dennis enjoys a certain reputation in the DIY community. I've been fortunate in getting killer deals from everyone but YAA. :p

Technically only the MB27s were new BUT the labor was free. Again, still a good deal ... from everyone but YAA. :D

... sleeping on the couch for a few weeks.
Ah yes ... The Dog House; if it wasn't worth it, we wouldn't keep doing it.

I'm glad to see you made it back awake.
Amen to that.

most people don't have to drive 16 hours to pick up a pair of Philharmonics.
Kurt drove up from Atlanta but he was also unloading his SongTowers on me at the same time. Non audio types would find it odd that we all thought it was a good time.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Why do I feel like you owe me 1/2 the gas money? :D
I'll share my best lottery numbers in lieu of gas money. Aside from the fact I assumed that you had a "plug end" car, I do feel somewhat obligated. By obligated I mean vicariously :eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll share my best lottery numbers in lieu of gas money. Aside from the fact I assumed that you had a "plug end" car, I do feel somewhat obligated. By obligated I mean vicariously :eek:
I could have used a 2000 Focus or an '08 Malibu, either of which get about double the truck's mpg but the truck is best ride. It's like piloting a Lazy-Boy. I upgraded the speakers in it after a trip to Toronto. Dennis asked about the truck's ride and I mentioned the Bilstein shocks. I forgot to mention new bearing hub assemblies, upper control arms with ball joints, tires, brakes, alignment ... there's more but that's just the stuff that affects 'ride'.

I'll make good use of those speakers while I save up for a nice Bose system. :D

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I could have used a 2000 Focus or an '08 Malibu, either of which get about double the truck's mpg but the truck is best ride. It's like piloting a Lazy-Boy. I upgraded the speakers in it after a trip to Toronto. Dennis asked about the truck's ride and I mentioned the Bilstein shocks. I forgot to mention new bearing hub assemblies, upper control arms with ball joints, tires, brakes, alignment ... there's more but that's just the stuff that affects 'ride'.

I'll make good use of those speakers while I save up for a nice Bose system. :D
Well I have Bose system installed for comparison purposes. If i get a hankering I'll throw it up in the classified section IMG_20140929_235545.jpg

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Real Question for Dennis

I just noticed that on one bass cabinet, the upper binding posts have the colors wrong. Black is on the right. Everything else is red on right. I'm pretty sure that's just a case of color mix up and the positive connectors are all on the right. I'd like confirmation on that.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I didn't notice that, but I wired everything up so all of the connections would be made from right terminal to right terminal. So ignore the color. Everything should sound focused that way.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't notice that, but I wired everything up so all of the connections would be made from right terminal to right terminal. So ignore the color. Everything should sound focused that way.
Cool. When I first noticed it I thought I had something out of phase so I color matched and didn't get the full picture until I pulled the other speaker out and saw the discrepancy. It was sort of a relief because I thought for a few minutes that I had been listening to it without the proper polarity and thinking it sounded good. That would be embarrassing. Anyway I was just finishing up with musical subs and now have stuff level matched ... and I'm almost certain that I don't need three subs in this small room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis