Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay Swerd, why aren't YOU on this?

$400 and you can finally scrap your NHT surrounds for some Songtower or MBOW1 3-ways :eek:
I can answer that. His current surrounds are small, discreet, wall mounted, out of the way and working.

Oh no ... I just thought of a place I could put those. However my surrounds are small, discreet, wall mounted, out of the way and working.

But I could stack them on the dual subs I have under the surrounds in the rear corners. Such speaker lust leaves me thankful that I had not heard them ... I believe I've seen them though.

Dennis, was there a roundover added to the upper cabinets or is that a chamfer? I couldn't tell from the pic. Is that the prototype that was used to get the FR graph?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Dennis, was there a roundover added to the upper cabinets or is that a chamfer? I couldn't tell from the pic. Is that the prototype that was used to get the FR graph?
I love it when u guys talk dirty. :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I can answer that. His current surrounds are small, discreet, wall mounted, out of the way and working.

Oh no ... I just thought of a place I could put those. However my surrounds are small, discreet, wall mounted, out of the way and working.

But I could stack them on the dual subs I have under the surrounds in the rear corners. Such speaker lust leaves me thankful that I had not heard them ... I believe I've seen them though.

Hi The upper cabinet started life as an MB0W1 2-way monitor, but the buyer decided he wanted it converted into the 3-way. So the upper has roundover on all sides. The frequency response curve is of this speaker, and was taken fairly recently. I think the date is on the graph. This wasn't a prototype. It was just another build.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi The upper cabinet started life as an MB0W1 2-way monitor, but the buyer decided he wanted it converted into the 3-way. So the upper has roundover on all sides. The frequency response curve is of this speaker, and was taken fairly recently. I think the date is on the graph. This wasn't a prototype. It was just another build.
I meant to ask about the xo too. Where is it and how do the four sets of binding posts work?

... and if I sent you the 4 bills would you or Richard be able to hang onto those for me until like Spring time?
I just don't want YAA to have them. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I meant to ask about the xo too. Where is it and how do the four sets of binding posts work?

... and if I sent you the 4 bills would you or Richard be able to hang onto those for me until like Spring time?
You'll be my GF's new best friend.

Better hurry. Payday is Friday and I've got nothing to do Saturday :D

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, send me the cash… you know you can trust me :rolleyes:.

I'm going to guess that Del, or someone else, built those cabinets, and Dennis wired and assembled those speakers several years ago. From the photo, they look very nicely done.

The woofer, with the inverted dust cap, was a very nice driver made by Peerless. They stopped making them about 5 or more years ago. It's cone was made from a multilayer paper/plastic sandwich material. Too bad they aren't made any more, but Dennis did find a good substitute, so this design is still viable today.

There are a variety of ways you can wire a 3-way crossover when there are two separate cabinets, so this is my guess, based on what I think is most straight forward way to wire it if the owner wanted the option of single-amping or tri-amping.

The bass (lower) cabinet:
The lower pair of binding posts are amplifier inputs. From that point, the signal splits, and goes 1) to the woofer's crossover, and 2) to the upper pair of binding posts.

The upper cabinet:
The two pairs of binding posts go to the separated mid range & tweeter crossovers inside this cabinet. Connect them to the upper pair of posts on the bass cabinet, with two pairs of wires, or if you use jumpers between them, one pair of wires.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Now I get it. Dennis did say these were originally MBOW1 2-ways, that were later converted to 3-ways.

That would explain the apparent color difference in the clear maple finishes. The top module is older.

The usual way those 2-way cabinets are built, is to mount the port tube behind the tweeter, and locate the binding posts behind the mid woofer. When they became 3-ways, Dennis removed the port tube and put a binding post cup in the existing ~2" diameter hole.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Pretty close, except that the two cabinets are about the same vintage. The bottom is laminate, so it didn't darken with age and exposure to light. The wiring is weird, and I don't really remember why it turned out the way it did. But if you're still awake, the woofer low pass and midrange highpass crossovers are in the bottom cabinet. The midrange-tweeter crossover is in the upper cabinet. I'm already bored. You just have to use a lot of wires. I have a couple of interested local parties, so hopefully these things will depart my living room without having to box them up for Fed Ex.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a couple of interested local parties, so hopefully these things will depart my living room without having to box them up for Fed Ex.
What's the ballpark for shipping to 02861?
How much time could you give me to drive out and get them?
The $400 price tag on these is driving me bonkers.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a couple of interested local parties ...
Just in case you missed it in TBT, I'd like to drive out and pick those up this weekend. I hope those 'interested local parties' haven't bound you to anything. My # is in an Audiogon message. Thanks.

PM on here too.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Just in case you missed it in TBT, I'd like to drive out and pick those up this weekend. I hope those 'interested local parties' haven't bound you to anything. My # is in an Audiogon message. Thanks.

PM on here too.
Alex , you better go gas up the ride , I have a sneaking suspicion that your gonna be taking a road trip !

I could have supper ready for you or meet you half way for a break and food , let me know if you go via text , I pm'd you my number.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Alex , you better go gas up the ride , I have a sneaking suspicion that your gonna be taking a road trip !

I could have supper ready for you or meet you half way for a break and food , let me know if you go via text , I pm'd you my number.
if by supper you mean the twister board and jello, im sure Alex might not be the only one coming over :eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got 'em but before I loaded 'em up, Dennis a/b'ed them against his Phil3s. I was a little too tired to be able to make good observations except that the bottom ends were remarkably similar. The floor rumble produced by Fanfare for the Common Man surprised me. To quote Dennis, "at 1/10th the price". :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Congratulations Alex!!! I'm very jealous. A sweet deal for some sweet speakers. Enjoy.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...the bottom ends were remarkably similar. The floor rumble...surprised me..."at 1/10th the price". :)
The classic argument for dating a band member over a cheerleader.

Congrats on the speakers, Alex! Not only did you get a good deal, but you graciously just saved younger Alex some money. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I got 'em but before I loaded 'em up, Dennis a/b'ed them against his Phil3s. I was a little too tired to be able to make good observations except that the bottom ends were remarkably similar. The floor rumble produced by Fanfare for the Common Man surprised me. To quote Dennis, "at 1/10th the price". :)
Congrats! You now have the world's best computer speakers. And you now have 3 different Dennis Murphy designed speakers. I'm jealous.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The classic argument for dating a band member over a cheerleader.

Congrats on the speakers, Alex! Not only did you get a good deal, but you graciously just saved younger Alex some money. :)
And from sleeping on the couch for a few weeks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis