Matching Ceiling Speakers

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
Hi there everyone. It’s been a few years since I’ve posted on the forum but have always found the advice administered to be tremendously helpful and very much appreciated. As such, I was hoping I could get some thoughts on a dilemma I’m facing.

I’m currently building a new home with a very open floor plan with the kitchen, nook, dining and living/family rooms all open to each other. I am planning on setting up a 7.2.4 system. Due to the open concept, I can only utilize ceiling speakers for my surround and atmos channels (not ideal, I know).

I’ve narrowed my floor standers down to the Focal Sopra 3 and Audiovector SR6 Avantgarde Arreté with accompanying center channnel. As far as I’m concerned, both speakers sound incredible, but in different ways.

My impressions of each speaker are that the Focals sounded warmer and more enveloping relative to the sharp, more delineated soundstage of the Audiovectors. Focal uses a beryllium tweeter and the Audiovectors use an AMT. I am partial to the Audiovectors, however, they do-not make a dedicated ceiling speaker. Focal, on the other hand, does (even though the ceiling speakers do not use the same beryllium tweeter).

A few questions I have:
  • If I go with the Audiovectors, is there a ceiling speaker available that could potentially match the sonic characteristics of the LCR channels? Or does that even matter considering that they are surround/atoms channels that are not dialogue-heavy? This obviously is more of an issue in multi-channel stereo.
  • A couple of ceiling speakers I’ve come across are the Martin Logan Electromotion speakers that also utilize an AMT tweeter and the Goldenear Invisa speakers that utilize a folded ribbon design. My understanding has always been that ribbons and AMT’s rely on different technologies and therefore sound very different. Am I correct in thinking that? My dealer says that those HVFR tweeters in the the goldenears are actually based on the Heil air motion design. Am I missing something?
  • Or should I simply nip it in the bud and go with the Focals in order to preserve that consistent “house sound,” even though I’m absolutely in love with the Audiovectors? What would you do in this scenario?
Another option would be the Paradigm Persona 7F. Paradigm does make matching speakers all the way around utilizing the same tweeter.

Thanks so much reading this and I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations on building a home. It’s a wonderful experience. However I’m going to recommend NOT pursuing atmos with an all ceiling installation. There needs to be a good deal of height difference between the bed layer speakers and the height layer.
That’s how atmos works. i would spend some time reading this.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
Sorry to be THAT guy, but I’d hate for you to spend a bunch of money and time for nothing. FWIW I have 7.3.4 in our LR. Sounds like it would be similar to yours. I actually built a column to house the right, side surround speaker. I find it pretty elegant but my wife hates it lol!!! If you really want atmos, and IMO opinion there’s no reason not to go for it, you’ll have to consider a bed layer.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
Thanks for the response William. And thank for the link to the article. I am familiar with it and have read it multiple times over. o_O

This may be flawed logic, however, my goal was to create some degree of separation by using a “focused” speaker for the surrounds and a wide dispersion speaker for the atmos channels. One of the dealers I am working with recommended this setup as he claimed to have had success with it in a prior installation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis