Matching Amplifire with Speaker

• Thread starter Md. Shiblee Sadique
  • Start date
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@markw,
I DONT WANT TO GET IT LOUD. I SAID 'leave the loudness...'. I WAS JUST ASKING WILL IT REDUCE THE PRESSURE ON MY SPEAKER. AND YES, YOU ARE GETTING IT WRONG...

JUST FORGET ABOUT IT.
I GOT A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM PENG.

THANKS
How do you know you have too much pressure on your speaker? And, this description you are repeating, pressure on the speaker, is not really correct.

Not sure what you are after in the first place?

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
My Amp is Yamaha RX-V467 with a rated output @ 6 Ohms - 105 W per channel.

Currently I own Klipsch Synergy B-20. Which is rated as 85W RMS / 340W Peak @ 8 Ohms.

I am planning to purchase JBL Studio 230 which s power handling capability is 20-150w @ 8 Ohms.

Many where I found people saying Amp watt should be at least 1.5 times Speaker watt.

My question is should I go with the JBL, or is it perfect match with Klipsch Synergy B-20?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
There is no "perfect". You really haven't picked up on this by now?

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
i am not trying to match perfectly. my question was according to that theory my current syatem is OK. will i get anything better than klipsch from JBL? a straight answer is appreciated...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A straight question is appreciated, too.

"Better" is a preference, not a specific and not something one can judge by reading specs.

Either speaker will work well with your amp so go for the one that sounds best to you.

Personal taste is involved here and that involves listening. We cannot do that for you.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
We've been getting a lot of people new to audio or otherwise unaware of how audio works and look at speakers like ordinary appliances. Some people are content to buy a car they've never driven before (I'm sure they're in the minority). Just like a car, speakers are highly subjective. Someone may think those JBLs or those Yamahas are the best thing since sliced bread and others may hate how they sound, and neither of them would be wrong.

As to combining two sets of speakers to "reduce pressure" as you put it, that's not going to work. The rudimentary of a loudspeaker is that it takes power from the amplifier and if the amplifier is unable to supply the power the speaker requires for a given output level the amplifier will going into clipping. Clipping presents itself as distortion. That distortion will sound unpleasant and you should turn it down to avoid damage to the amplifier.

Now speakers on the other hand, they're not to smart. They'll ask for more power than they can handle if you keep turning up the volume. Think of a kid who decided to have a second helping of mom's lasagna because it tasted so good and overeats to the point of causing physical pain. If your amplifier can provide more power than the speaker can handle it will cause the speaker to surpass its thermal and/or mechanical limits. Speakers can handle a surprising amount of power for a split second but too much power for too long or a huge aplomb of bass can damage the speaker.

Back to combining speakers. If you connect a set of speaker that is 6 ohms and a speaker that is 8 ohms to the same amplifier channel (this applies to A/B as well) the resulting nominal impedance is closer to 3 ohms. Since speakers are reactive loads it's possible that impedance could dip as low as 1-2 ohms. Less resistance means more current flows, and the receiver's power supply cannot handle that kind of load.

If you have questions about any of this I will try to answer if I can.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
Thanks Seth=L, for making it clearer to me step by step. I was able to find two speakers within my budget. One is JBL Studio 230 and other one is Yamaha NS-555. I know sound depends on personal taste and in general JBL is a better brand than Yamaha for indoor speakers.

JBL Studio 230 is of 8 Ohms impedance, 150 w max, with 6.5' woofer and a twitter. Whereas Yamaha is 6 Ohms 2 x 6.5" woofer, 5" mid and a twitter.

I know there is no perfect match. but which one I should go for? Any suggestion?
which one would you prefer?

note: in my country not all the models are available...

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Personally I'd go for the Yamahas. They'll resemble more characteristics of the Klipsch sound but with significantly better dynamics. Lower bass performance will also be had. I happen to think they look nicer as well.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Good luck with what ever you decide to go with. If you have any questions for me I'll answer if possible.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
Seth=L
Can I connect 8 Ohm 75W on Stereo Channel and 4 Ohms 100w Speakers on Centre, Rear Left and Rear Right with an Amplifier of 6 Ohms. Will it create problem?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis