Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
I just baught Klipsch Synergy B-20 (a pair). It is said on Speaker
'Maximum Power Input 75 Watt' @ 8Ω

On Owners Manual it is
Power Handling 85W RMS / 340W Peak
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms compatible

My amplifire says
DIN power output (rated) 60+60 W (6 Ω at 1 kHz, DIN)
Continuous RMS power output (reference) 80+80 W (6 Ω at 1 kHz, 10 % THD)

I am really confused here. I'm a newbe...

Only thing I want to know is 'is it safe for the speakers or amplifire...?'

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks safe to me. Just don't try to play your speakers @ 120dB volume. :D

Keep it under 100dB and they should be right as rain. :)

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
Looks safe to me. Just don't try to play your speakers @ 120dB volume. :D

Keep it under 100dB and they should be right as rain. :)
Thanks for your Quick Reply. but amy amp has a volume meter up to 30. What is a 100 DB volumefor me...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your Quick Reply. but amy amp has a volume meter up to 30. What is a 100 DB volumefor me...
Just get a digital SPL meter for $50-$60. You can measure the volume from where you sit.

Bottom line, listen to sensitive safe volume. You will usually damage your hearing before you damage your speakers.

I have never listened to any volume higher than 87dBA because anything beyond that is just too crazy loud for me.

Per OSHA recommendations, you shouldn't listen to higher than 90dBA for 8 HR per day anyway. That is extremely loud to me.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
Yamaha RX-V467.
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 105W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110/130/160/180W

Klipsch B-20 (8Ω 85W RMS / 340W Peak)
Sony (6Ω 80W most probaly)

Because any one of them is too small or low powered for that amp, is it okay if connect both the speakers with the amp?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not just about impedance and watt handling. There is speakers sensitivity (or efficiency). Klipsch speakers are designed to be very efficient and as result very easy on amp. What adtg is telling you is, don't play too loud (if neighbors complain - its too loud) and you'd be fine

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Simply put. use your ears and your head. If it starts to sound bad, turn it down immediately.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
Sorry Bro, I'm really new in this sector. I just want to reduce the pressure on my speaker. Because when I play music loud, it seems not loud enough as per my speaker (klipsch) movement... So I just wanted to reduce the watt pressure on my speaker at the same time getting a bit more volume. So I think it is ok to connect both the Speakers with this amp? though I have already connected both the speakers and been enjoying for last one hour, it seems ok though... no pressure on my amp right?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Everything has it's limits.

They are only 5" speakers. They will only play so loud.

If you have one speaker on each channel, that's as loud as it's gonna get.

If you want louder, you're gonna need bigger speakers, and possibly more power but I've heard some pretty loud noises from 40 watt amps, with the right speakers. And, that 60 watt rating is highly overstated.

One hint for you: Any amp that rates it's power at a 10% distortion level is NOT a quality amp.

Last edited:
Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
No No No! you are getting it wrong. the Amp I talked about in my first post was a Sony home stereo system. I have changed it to Yamaha RX-V467 now.

Amplifier:
Yamaha RX-V467.

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 105W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110/130/160/180W

Speakers:

Klipsch B-20 (8Ω 85W RMS / 340W Peak)

This is my current setup. but it is putting too much pressure on my Klipsch. So what I wanted to know is

'If I put my Sony Speakers along with Klipsch, will it reduce the pressure a bit on my speakers?' will 6Ω and 8Ω will create problem? leave the loudness...

Sony (6Ω 80W most probably)

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well then, that's totally different: Let me restate what I said.

Everything has it's limits.

They are only 5" speakers. They will only play so loud.

If you have one speaker on each channel, that's as loud as it's gonna get.

If you want louder, you're gonna need bigger speakers, and possibly more power but I've heard some pretty loud noises from 100 watt amps, with the right speakers.

No, I'm not getting it wrong. You're not listening to what's being said. You need to modify your expectations to match the laws of physics.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

So what I wanted to know is

'If I put my Sony Speakers along with Klipsch, will it reduce the pressure a bit on my speakers?' will 6Ω and 8Ω will create problem? leave the loudness...

Sony (6Ω 80W most probably)
If you meant connecting both pair of speakers to the same left and right channels of your new RX-A467 then no, do not do that because it may put too much load on the amp even if you don't mind the combined sound produced by two pair of different speakers with different characteristics. As you have been advised, if you like to listen loud such as louder than 90 dB, you need more powerful equipment (including speakers), or you sit closer to the speakers, or both, obviously.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
@markw,
I DONT WANT TO GET IT LOUD. I SAID 'leave the loudness...'. I WAS JUST ASKING WILL IT REDUCE THE PRESSURE ON MY SPEAKER. AND YES, YOU ARE GETTING IT WRONG...

JUST FORGET ABOUT IT.
I GOT A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM PENG.

THANKS

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's odd that he told you essentially the same thing I did, isn't it?

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
This is my Amp's Config

Minimum RMS Output per Front
(1kHz, 0.9% THD, 6Ω)
FRONT L/R 105W/ch

DYNAMIC POWER (IHF)
6/4/2Ω 110/130/150W

MAXIMUM OUTPUT POWER 140W

IF I PURCHASE YAMAHA NS-555 SPEAKERS WILL IT MATCH WITH MY AMP?

SPEAKER CONFIG IS AS BELOW

• INPUT POWER: 100 watts nominal, 250 watts music power
• FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35 Hz-35 kHz
• SENSITIVITY: 88 dB / 2.83 V / 1 m
• IMPEDANCE: 6 ohms

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You didn't learn a blasted thing from this whole thread, did you?

As the old saying goes, we can explain it TO you (and many have tried) but we can't understand it FOR you.

Last edited:
Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
HAVE YOU EVER EVER EVER GIVEN ANY ANSWER STRAIGHT???

LOOK, NOT ALL OF US HERE IS 'Audioholic Warlord'. I AM NEW IN THIS SECTOR. HOW MANY YEARS DID IT TAKE YOU TO BECOME A 'Audioholic Warlord'? THAT SPEAKER SAYS "250 watts music power" WHEREAS MY AMP IS AT 110W @ 6Ω. ALL I WANTED TO KNOW THAT "WHETHER THOSE SPEAKERS WILL PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON MY AMP?" OR "WHICH WATTAGE SHOULD I CONSIDER FOR MATCHING SPEAKERS?"

IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING, PLEASE THROUGH IT STRAIGHT... YES/NO. OTHERWISE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BOTHER TO ANSWER AND WASTE BOTH OF OUR TIME.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Once impedance is matched, the speakers' maximum wattage spec become a moot point, as long as they can handle your highest chosen* playback volume, and that your receiver's got enough power for that, your good. Once you have an impedance match; the potential problems for wattage mismatch only arise if your not mindful of this fact.

Teenagers tend to ignore the signs and burn equipment, but most reasonable adults can live years with a Wattage mismatch without ever having any problems. The fact is, your system can be adequate as long as you don't over-stretch it. Keeping within the range of it's lowest limiting factor keeps you safe from any damage.

- If you push your kit with an underpowered receiver/amp: At certain volume quality will quickly degrade, bass disappears and distortion becomes very obvious.
Receiver/amp will burn out.
- If you push your kit with a receiver/amp which is too powerful: At a certain volume, speakers will distort sound, and tend to "knock" and "bang" on lows, and screech on highs.
Crossovers/caps can burn out, speakers and tweeters' coils may burn/weld or come unwound, and of course, Speakers can pop-out, tear at suspension ring or cones' edges.​

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Like Mark states, play it by ear. Kind of feel it out. I have speakers rated at 400 watts and I give them 1000 watts. I also used a 100 watt amp to drive the speakers that are rated at 400 watts. Just find your safe zone. No matter what amps or speakers you have, they all have limitations. I run a total of 7000 watts @ 4 ohms, that's powering my whole system and I know my limit.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!11!1!!!!

Try THIS. Plug in values matching your situation and see what you end up with. Klipsch exaggerates their sensitivity specs, so use 92db in the calculations. Plug in power values reflecting the AVR's capability (be conservative here too, use less than published specs since they rate a single channel at 1% thd) and see what the calculator spits out. If you use those calculations, combined with your own ears and cross referenced with actual spl measurements, you will be able to determine if your AVR and speakers are an adequate match or not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis