Martin Logan 30 // SVS Ultra Center - thoughts?

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
They are priced nearly the same - SVS is more costly yes.

Just curious what people think of the ML 30 for a center speaker, does it anchor dialog nicely?

No - just just using a center :) but I feel the center is more critical for HT so I'm kinda basing it on the whole :)

Option 1 - SVS
- Ultra Towers
- Ultra Center
- Elevation Atmos
- Elevation Rear Surrounds

Option 2 - Martin Logan
- Motion 40 fronts
- Motion 30 center
- Motion 6 for Surrounds
- Motion 4 for Atmos

Powered by a Denon 4500H AVR

Sub TBD at a later date

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Isn't the Motion 30 a 2-way center where the SVS is a 3-way

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Option 1 with Prime Pinnacles for mains. Unless you have lots of room to play with in order to get the Ultra Towers placed properly. ;)

The Motion 40s during my audition were slightly anemic down low, but nothing like the B&W 600 series towers were. Either way, they were decent speakers, but a 3-way Center for me is near the top of the list.
That said, I don't think I've heard any complaint about the Ultra Center.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Option 1 with Prime Pinnacles for mains. Unless you have lots of room to play with in order to get the Ultra Towers placed properly. ;)

The Motion 40s during my audition were slightly anemic down low, but nothing like the B&W 600 series towers were. Either way, they were decent speakers, but a 3-way Center for me is near the top of the list.
That said, I don't think I've heard any complaint about the Ultra Center.
Placement on my right side is tight no doubt. Maybe 10” from wall. But I’m assuming between room correction software and my walls are sold wood (soft wood) it’ll be fine. I’m not into mega bass. Hence no sub typically is my preference.

I don’t like the look of the pinnacle. And it’s not any cheaper than the ultra $200 for the pair I’d rather have the better mid bass.

Idk maybe I can be swayed ha.

but I think a 3 way is better for dialogue especially with the center or am I being too old school??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
2-way centers are more prone to lobing and thus uneven sound dispersion across the seating area.

The nice thing about SVS is you could try both and return the set you don't like. Those side woofers need a lot of breathing room. I've seen many people say they have trouble setting the Ultra Towers up to not be boomy/muddy. That includes room correction. Putting them that close to a wall is imo asking for trouble. YMMV.
As with all things, it is your system, your ducats.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I’m not into mega bass. Hence no sub typically is my preference.
A proper subwoofer and sub integration is Not just about having mega bass. When set up properly, it will help the main speakers shine, bring depth and anchor the soundstage. Giving a much more real and pleasing listening experience.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Lol

the drivers look cheap with the ring or lack around the mid bass drivers. Especially with the snap on grill. I know the ultra uses that too vs magnetic.

I’d probably sway to the motion 40 and be happy with better looks and less sound.

the clearance needed on my right tower has me 2nd guessing the Ultras :-(

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I’d probably sway to the motion 40 and be happy with better looks and less sound.

the clearance needed on my right tower has me 2nd guessing the Ultras :-(
Its OK not everyone is as Cool as Crockett and Tubbs

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Get whichever brand you like more .

I don’t seee much of a comparison the 3 way center will be far better ...
unless you enjoy the motion tweeters more ?
I listened to Logan’s once at bestbuy they were decent but not mind blowing.:

I don’t think I could afford this brand 1k per tower or bookshelves set . Do they ever go on sale ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
I have the Prime Pinnacles with the Ultra center and it sounds great. As ryanosaur said, the ultras can be tricky to place with the side firing woofers.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Wanted to provide an update.

decided to order a pair of ultra bookshelves and ultra center. And a 2nd set to audition in my home (selfish I know) but what I ordered for the 2nd set is probably gonna confuse or be an odd choice. I ordered a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 606 and htm6 for the front stage and four M1 for surround and height.

so unboxed the BWs first (just fronts l/c/r) and first gut reaction is oh umm they small and in white look very simple/cheap. Getting these was a mistake- before I review let’s unbox the ultra bookshelf and center...

wow in piano black the first expression was extremely gorgeous and impressive. Very heavy and feels rich. The grills do look cheap and dated though.Especially since they cost more money than the BW.

so how do they sound??

the SVS sound great. But oddly the smaller BW (note same 6” driver in left and right) sound better. They are more forward and dialogue is both crisper AND deeper feeling. Where as the SVS sound great but almost thin. Even my wife who likes the look of SVS better but said keep the BW as dialogue is sooo much better. Besides dialogue they also seem more lively if that makes.
The amp I’m using is a modest Marantz SR7013 which I think is more than up to the task.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis