Marketing - Raising a Fat America

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Or don't buy your kids fast food.
My parents did the opposite. They bought me fast food, I tried it and thought it was gross, still do, but I come from a family of cooks...

Do you realistically think parents will stop buying fast food for the children or even want them to stop eating it? It makes life so much easier, who cares if they gain a little weight, they are young they have time to loose it. Maybe its because I see so many obese children but one day I realized those were my thoughts on the matter. That last sentence about switching the wrapper was a joke.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
I hope this isn't too much of a hijack but it’s along the same lines.

I just had a huge debate with a coworker over this. This company is fining employees who have poor health. I think its a good idea to promote both good health and cover additional medical costs. What do you guys think?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/070802/aug2007db2007081804238.html?.v=1&.pf=insurance

I would be fined $15 per pay check for being both a fat a$$ and a smoker (~ 2-3 cigs a week (does that even count?)).

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I think its a great idea although I might be biased because I fall into the no penalty category right now. There are many drains on the health care industry which is passed onto employers that provide health services it is a pretty simple targeted way to alleviate the pressure without affecting those who are less likely to use these services.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
This company is fining employees who have poor health. I think its a good idea to promote both good health and cover additional medical costs. What do you guys think?
Eh, If I ran the company I'd give 'em the ol "Dear Workers; We have cancelled our health insurance benefits. Have a nice day." Be cheaper too.

Do you realistically think parents will stop buying fast food for the children or even want them to stop eating it?
Of course not, But thats the solution.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Co worker feels that by penalizing unhealthy employees the company should reward those who are healthy. He thinks is just some scam by the companies (who are paying less than they were years ago) just to get more money.

He saw the movie 'Sicko' so I think he just up in arms about the whole health care system.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Bottom line: it's the parents resposibility to make sure their kid is getting a healthy diet, my four year old hates fast food, loves yogurt and home-made (healthy) pizza, we just never gave him Mc Donalds or BK.

As for companies penalizing the over weight, it's shameful. If it's a situation that evolved over time they shouldn't penalize a person for that. Now if you're obese and are applying for insurance, that's another story. You should pay more, but not be denied.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
The article is far from surprising but I still think its interesting. Thought some of the other members might be interested. If you don't want your kids to like fast food just change the wrapper its in ;).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/78949.php
It's one of many typical liberal hogwash 'junk-science' studies that continually attack corporate America on a daily basis. These idiotic anti-corporation studies are released non stop........every day. I wonder how many TENS of thousands of other peoples money were spent before the RED commie-scientists finally discovered the positive effects of branding apples?

Sure the McDonalds brand is popular....dUH? How many grant dollars does it take to determine this rocket science?

Whether it's one of the many negative assaults against McKY'dees or anyone who claims membership in corporate america.................. (IE...evil printers that supposedly kill, the attack against bottled water to save the planet, or the attack against synthetic corks that threaten cork extinction in the wild)......it's all the same rubbish liberals love to write...and read about.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bottom line: it's the parents resposibility to make sure their kid is getting a healthy diet, my four year old hates fast food, loves yogurt and home-made (healthy) pizza, we just never gave him Mc Donalds or BK.

As for companies penalizing the over weight, it's shameful. If it's a situation that evolved over time they shouldn't penalize a person for that. Now if you're obese and are applying for insurance, that's another story. You should pay more, but not be denied.
Weight problems are your fault, and only your fault. I lost 60 pounds in 8 months. It just takes work and determination. Going to eat fast food? You're going to be a fatty. Not going to exercise or do any sort of physical movements during the day? Then you're going to be fat, and weak. This weakness will make you more susceptible to injury, and it's also harder on your immune system.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Weight problems are your fault, and only your fault. I lost 60 pounds in 8 months. It just takes work and determination.
SheepStar
Consider yourself lucky. For some, it is impossible. Haven't you seen shows showing how some sleepwalk at night and eating, not knowing what happened the next morning? Or, some are just always hungry no matter what? It is also biological.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Consider yourself lucky. For some, it is impossible. Haven't you seen shows showing how some sleepwalk at night and eating, not knowing what happened the next morning? Or, some are just always hungry no matter what? It is also biological.
Yes...but in all fairness, aren't they in the minority (and a small one at that)? We've all heard of the people with the "gland" problems, we've all seen the morbidly obese people on tv of late that weigh in a a hefty 700-800 pounds, or the occasional person that sleepwalks. I don't think it germaine to the current issue...there are always going to be a number of people that for one reason or another, simply cannot lose weight.

What is worth discussing are those that are capable of losing weight. 30% of Americans are overweight...30%...that's 1 in 3. That proportion is astounding to me. (And they all do not have glandular problems or are so morbidly obese that they cannot even roll over in bed). For the vast majority of overweight people, it is as simple as Sheep wrote: diet and exercise. It is not any deeper than that.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
Parents have a Strong responsibility in regards their Children Growing up. As a parent they have the oppertunity to steer their children away from Fast Food.

I kinda feal bad for McDonalds, due to the fact whenever this topic is raised on the News, it's McDonalds you see as the ALL MIGHTY FAT KID MAKER!

But truely, Birth to 18, parents can (try) to do their best to mold their children for the better in regards to food.

My parents must have done something right, No wate my dad did now that I remember. My dad liked fast food but hated it just as much, he's not over wate at all and is Clocking in 70years of age.:)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Parents have a Strong responsibility in regards their Children Growing up. As a parent they have the oppertunity to steer their children away from Fast Food.

I kinda feal bad for McDonalds, due to the fact whenever this topic is raised on the News, it's McDonalds you see as the ALL MIGHTY FAT KID MAKER!

But truely, Birth to 18, parents can (try) to do their best to mold their children for the better in regards to food.

My parents must have done something right, No wate my dad did now that I remember. My dad liked fast food but hated it just as much, he's not over wate at all and is Clocking in 70years of age.:)
Parents responsibilities extend beyond teaching proper eating habits. Spelling is important too! :p.

I think when you were saying wate you meant weight...spell check is available on most browsers (trust me I use and abuse it)...sometimes your posts are rather hard to follow due to this bad grammar/spelling. I might be the only one but I think it would help quiet a bit if you at least proof read your posts before letting us read them :).

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
Parents responsibilities extend beyond teaching proper eating habits. Spelling is important too! :p.

I think when you were saying wate you meant weight...spell check is available on most browsers (trust me I use and abuse it)...sometimes your posts are rather hard to follow due to this bad grammar/spelling. I might be the only one but I think it would help quiet a bit if you at least proof read your posts before letting us read them :).
I honestly didn't think that getting a few words wrong once and awhile would hinder communication.:confused:

No one will talk to you UNLESS you spell every word correct and USE Proper Grammar throughout.

You think it would be a sticky or something? :rolleyes:

Fun factor at this site has dropped once againe.:(

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
Also you should Private Message someone on this sort of thing instead of killing a thread with it.

Fast Food, now on to Spelling.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think when you were saying wate you meant weight...

Actually, I think he meant "wait" the first time he wrote "wate" and "weight" the second time. It's actually kind of fun...a guessing game of sorts.

samsungson

samsungson

Audioholic
Actually, I think he meant "wait" the first time he wrote "wate" and "weight" the second time. It's actually kind of fun...a guessing game of sorts.
Whats this thread About again??

Spell Bashing or
about Fast Food

:confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis