Marantz SR8015: 13CH Dream AVR Delivers!

I

Ismapics

Audiophyte
Fellow Friends and Readers: To the manufacturers, remember when the Turntable/Phono Inputs went away / was removed? Then there was a resurgence of the Turntable creating a segment of Outboard Preamps (non high end there always where the high end ones) and the return of Vinyl. All of a sudden all receivers started bringing back the Phono Input. So now unknowingly / knowingly to all, the receiver makers have take out the tape loop. This is a Top of The line receiver and it does not have tape loops. No way to connect a cassette deck or Reel to Reel. There maybe a resurgence of the Cassette but there is no place to connect as the outputs are volume controlled. No place to put an equalizer or processor. Less fun.So if the cassette comes back will we see the tape loop coming back? (as I write this Eddie Van Halen just died. Godspeed Eddie)

E

EBN

Audioholic
@gene SR7015 didn´t deliver! :(

M

matt houser

Audioholic
I have a question, how are you able to change the distance settings after audyssey has run and still use those EQ filters, wouldn’t it change The response And then in turn create the need to reapply eq

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a question, how are you able to change the distance settings after audyssey has run and still use those EQ filters, wouldn’t it change The response And then in turn create the need to reapply eq
That is correct. It is not recommended unless you have the software (e.g. REW) and mic to guide you. If not, leave it alone, Audyssey usually can do a good job for the range below 300 Hz, or even much higher, depending..

O

oupee

Enthusiast
After reading the review here, I bought it. Without errors in HDMI so it is a 100% product. Home cinema is fantastic. Stereo is still not HI-FI but it's probably the best among AVRs. Thanks for the review and I applaud the guys from Marantz.

I use Google Translator

O

oupee

Enthusiast
I have to admit that this is probably the first AVR that can play in stereo both left right and in front of the back space. I never heard 8012.

i use google translator

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
8015 or Anthem MRX 1140?
Until the MRX 1140 gets tested and in the hands of users to see how solid the software is, I would go for the 8015 (it has been bench tested by Gene). Otherwise, I would opt for the X8500 which shows excellence performance, is extremely solid, and flexible.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Until the MRX 1140 gets tested and in the hands of users to see how solid the software is, I would go for the 8015 (it has been bench tested by Gene). Otherwise, I would opt for the X8500 which shows excellence performance, is extremely solid, and flexible.
Definitely, some people say brand/model A sounds better than brand/model B while others would say the opposite. Who do you believe, I would say no one, not even me because I know I am also Placebo prone, perhaps to a lesser extent.;) So I prefer to go by specs, measurements and price/performance ratio, and would not go by ears at all unless I can truly hear a difference in a properly set up test without knowing which one I am listening to, otherwise I don't care if someone claim they heard a difference, especially those who claimed night and day difference between units that measured well enough for them to not have that kind of audible difference.

I have owned several Marantz products, so after seeing the stellar results in Gene's review (measurements), I think it is a winner, aside from the X8500H on the D side. It is the one to beat, and I doubt the MRX1140 would come close, but we have to wait and see.

Last edited:
A

Andy Verdy

Enthusiast
Ok, another question, I'm currently using 8012. Does it make sense to upgrade to 8015 if I don't care about 8k, HDMI 2.1, and 13 CH? I just want to upgrade the 2CH music listening experience in my 5.1 system.

A

Anchorman80

Audiophyte
Given the SR 8012's issues with clipping when used as a preamp, would you then not recommend running it in this configuration? I was planning on buying the Emotiva XPA-3 2 or 3 channel amp to power my front main speakers and possibly the center.

T

tparm

Audioholic
I can't figure out why this is selling for $3,800 and the 8500A is $4500....Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
EDIT: I guess the Denon both powers and processes additional channels. Still seems like a big difference.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Given the SR 8012's issues with clipping when used as a preamp, would you then not recommend running it in this configuration? I was planning on buying the Emotiva XPA-3 2 or 3 channel amp to power my front main speakers and possibly the center.
There may or may not be an issue for you because it depends. At the minimum, you should use an online calculator to find out your estimated power needs for you applications and listening habits. When you have the number, say the power output required for your normal listening level and/or the very maximum spl you would listen to, then we can calculate the pre out voltage you need. Then we will know if the preamp would actually clip, or simply a case of increased distortions when the internal amps clip.

To do the calculations, you would also need to know which generation of XPA-3 or 2 you are planning on using with the SR8012's pre out.

When people talk about the preamp clipping, they often misunderstood the real issue. It is actually the power amp that would clip if pushed pass their limit, and the resulting increased distortions of the power amp would somehow get fed back to the preamp outputs, the preamp itself don't really clip until it hits well over 3 V, likely about 4 V or higher. Gene explained that a few times on audioholics.com. Below is one such occasion:

Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2CH IMAX Enhanced AV Receiver Offers Best In Class Features | Audioholics

This was what Gene said:
With the AVR-X3600H configured to reroute the main front L/R internal amplifiers, the preamp is physically disconnected from the power amp. This allows the preamp stage full capability of delivering up to 4Vrms unclipped when connected to external amplification as can be seen in the following output vs distortion plot courtesy of Sound United Engineering.
1633636188662.png

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Audio Science Review trashed the Marantz SR 8015 . I guess Amir wasn't paid enough by Marantz..

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Audio Science Review trashed the Marantz SR 8015 . I guess Amir wasn't paid enough by Marantz..
FYI, Amir does not accept monies by manufacturers to do his reviews, nor does Gene.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did he "trash" it? He does very limited reviews of pathways in most gear, it's informational for what it is and not a lot more.

PS if its the stupid panthers, fuggedaboutit

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
How did he "trash" it? He does very limited reviews of pathways in most gear, it's informational for what it is and not a lot more.

PS if its the stupid panthers, fuggedaboutit
You need serious theraphy dude.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I read that review, and didn't see it being "trashed". Are we talking about the same review linked below?

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Conclusions
I was pleased to see Marantz remove many of the compromises they had included in their products in the past in the name of "better sound." The only one left seems to be the slow filter which is the easiest to fix: give us a selectable DAC filter like many budget DACs do. Otherwise, this Marantz AVR performs similarly to its Denon counterparts from audio performance point of view with is a major step forward.

I can recommend the Marantz SR8015 AVR.
If I remember right, the SR8015 is the only Marantz AVR that made it to his recommended list.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis