Marantz SR8015: 13CH Dream AVR Delivers!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Marantz SR8015 is king of the hill as far as 11CH AV receivers go. This 11.2CH Atmos/DTS:X Pro HDMI 2.1 AV receiver is built on a very solid platform with benchmark measured performance while offering new features including:
  • Preamp mode
  • DTS:X Pro
  • HDMI 2.1 with 8K support
  • 13CH of processing
  • Dual speaker presets
  • eARC for high resolution audio streaming and so much more.

Best of all, the SR8015 is a wonderful sounding, high performance one box separates-like solution that will satiate the audiophile, home theater enthusiast and gamer alike (thanks to low latency mode). Best AV receiver for 2020?

Read: Marantz SR8015 Review

porthole.JPG

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Marantz SR8015 Unboxing Overview

Marantz SR8015 Bench Test Results:

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Thank you Gene for the review. Looks like the SR8015 is a very nice unit. But to answer the question as the Best AV Receiver for 2020? I would say no. That belongs to the Denon X8500:
-Measures better than the SR8015
-X8500 has the ability to process and amplify 13 channels
-X8500 has the ability to individually disconnect channels offering the best of both worlds in terms of performance and flexibility
-SR8015 Slow filter and no ability to change it to a more standard filter
-Aestetically and functonally, can we move on from the tiny portole display. Denon is much more functional. It is time for both to embrace something better like a tft touch display or something similiar like many brands are offering.
Thanks again for your review and nice to see Marantz continuing to make improvements.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Gene for the review. Looks like the SR8015 is a very nice unit. But to answer the question as the Best AV Receiver for 2020? I would say no. That belongs to the Denon X8500:
-X8500 has the ability to individually disconnect channels offering the best of both worlds in terms of performance and flexibility
-Aestetically and functonally, can we move on from the tiny portole display. Denon is much more functional. It is time for both to embrace something better like a tft touch display or something similiar like many brands are offering.
Thanks again for your review and nice to see Marantz continuing to make improvements.
Hard to compare when the measurements are now so close between the two, the video makes it more difficult too, or I am just too lazy to keep pressing the pause button and take screenshots. For a technical review, I prefer the non video style.:)

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Great review!!!

Only a couple comments on best AVR. First I’m not a fan of removing center spread from DSU either (2nd set of AVR settings for music listening with center down 6dB may mitigate that and Dolby is to blame, not Marantz).

I’m also not impressed with the idea of having to use the TV for 8K HDMI switching and eARC for audio to AVR. (Single 8K HDMI Port is the reason). The 2nd issue is the concern at this price point. This probably could push some buyers to wait for the next model. I also hear the Yamahas coming out this year will support several 8k HDMI ports so this functionality is just around the corner it would seem.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Hard to compare when the measurements are now so closed, the video makes it more difficult too, or I am just too lazy to keep pressing the pause button and take screenshots. For a technical review, I prefer the non video style.:)
Very true, I was also referring to the 2V measurement provided at ASR which shows 99 (still really good!). With the Denon at 103 or so. In addition it always seems that Denon/Marantz measurements are always 1-2dB better than both there as well as at Audioholics (not that that is significant). Not meant to take anything away from the SR8015 as it looks like a great option as well and much improved over the SR8012.
EDIT: You are correct of course it is difficult to compare between slight differences in measurements at ASR/Audioholics/Directly from Denon/Marantz.
sr8015.png

Last edited:
OPTIMUS VADER

OPTIMUS VADER

Audiophyte
The Marantz SR8015 is king of the hill as far as 11CH AV receivers go. This 11.2CH Atmos/DTS:X Pro HDMI 2.1 AV receiver is built on a very solid platform with benchmark measured performance while offering new features including:
  • Preamp mode
  • DTS:X Pro
  • HDMI 2.1 with 8K support
  • 13CH of processing
  • Dual speaker presets
  • eARC for high resolution audio streaming and so much more.

Best of all, the SR8015 is a wonderful sounding, high performance one box separates-like solution that will satiate the audiophile, home theater enthusiast and gamer alike (thanks to low latency mode). Best AV receiver for 2020?

Read: Marantz SR8015 Review

View attachment 39836
I need one of those IN my Life . Is a real working horse for a Home Theater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
And at only $3,200 per 8K input it's a steal!

Seriously though the comments above kinda beat me to it; I don't doubt this is a great AVR and maybe the best of the year or whatever but I can't possibly fathom paying more than half its MSRP for what it offers.

I think it's sad how stagnant AVRs has been; they're pretty much exactly the same now as they were 30 years ago (that's not an entirely bad thing but I think it mostly is).

It's 2020, where are the OLED touchscreen front displays where I can fully customize the information displayed from the app, or from a web interface I can access by logging into the AVR like any other network appliance? Where's the WiFi 6 support? Why aren't WiFi and Bluetooth user upgrade-able since improved versions come out every few years and most people will want 10+ years of usability out of a multi-thousand dollar AVR? Where's Homekit support with advanced automation features?

Why does my 4K Marantz receiver have a horrible looking chunky low-res interface like it's a cable box built in 1998? I haven't seen the OSD interface on the 8015 but I seriously doubt it's substantially different from any other Marantz AVR.

The industry's lack of innovation is just sad and annoying.

But hey, it has a whopping second Audyssey EQ preset for when you close the blinds!!! They clearly went to Phill Schiller's School of Trash Can Mac Innovation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In before ADTG shows up and points out something Yamaha does better!

:p :p
Why.......You........ :mad:

I just started a Denon Owners Thread for crying out loud! :D

Everyone has their nitpicking about something. If it’s not SINAD of 100dB/ THD 0.0003%, number of 8K HDMI inputs, WiFi Remote, it’s gonna be something else.

Besides, if I’m saying something to favor Y over DM, it’s gonna be over on the Y owners thread, not on a DM party so I can get my a$$ kicked. Mamma didn’t raise no dummy. Hello! :cool:

But seriously, at the end of the day, everyone has to define what’s salient to them.

Last edited:
M

masrtin Gillespie

Audiophyte
The remote is inexcusable on a 3 grand AVR, Audyssey app is also the biggest waste of money ever, I would also wish they got rid of the porthole its useless at a distance, now I have short listed this as a replacement for my 7012 and MM7055 set up but wonder if the Denon 6700 or 8500H might be a better buy, I'm on the fence. Brilliant review by the way.

M

masrtin Gillespie

Audiophyte
The 8500h is two years old so in theory the Marantz should be more upto dates chip wise, and computing wise, I may be wrong, it is whats keeping me pulling the trigger on the 8500H.

M

masrtin Gillespie

Audiophyte
Great review!!!

Only a couple comments on best AVR. First I’m not a fan of removing center spread from DSU either (2nd set of AVR settings for music listening with center down 6dB may mitigate that and Dolby is to blame, not Marantz).

I’m also not impressed with the idea of having to use the TV for 8K HDMI switching and eARC for audio to AVR. (Single 8K HDMI Port is the reason). The 2nd issue is the concern at this price point. This probably could push some buyers to wait for the next model. I also hear the Yamahas coming out this year will support several 8k HDMI ports so this functionality is just around the corner it would seem.
To make matters worse the Denon 10 anniversary AVR still has only one 2.1 input, when Yamaha are doing Multiple on there entry level AVRs, Sound united has missed a trick here.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
The remote is inexcusable on a 3 grand AVR, Audyssey app is also the biggest waste of money ever, I would also wish they got rid of the porthole its useless at a distance, now I have short listed this as a replacement for my 7012 and MM7055 set up but wonder if the Denon 6700 or 8500H might be a better buy, I'm on the fence. Brilliant review by the way.
My thoughts:
-X8500H is better money spent in my opinion as well. For the same price you can get an X8500 for $3k (open box full warranty).
-Audyssey app is the best $20 spent. I would not have purchased the X8500 if the app wasn't available. Just being able to limit EQ to below a chosen frequency is worth it. Using Audyssey full range with the default reference or flat curve can sound pretty bad from my experience.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
The 8500h is two years old so in theory the Marantz should be more upto dates chip wise, and computing wise, I may be wrong, it is whats keeping me pulling the trigger on the 8500H.
I believe it will be in the line 2 more years. There will be an x8500ha and the only difference will be an 8k input. If I'm not mistaken, the x8500 still has the better DAC in comparison to the SR8015 (AK4490 vs AK4458). The only thing the newer SR8015 can do that the X8500 can't is store an Audyssey configuration internally. With the X8500 you would have to use the app, or a USB drive which will take a little longer to change.
I wouldn't be concerned at all with the older X8500 at all as it will be in the current line for a few more years. Also if you end up needing 8K you can send it to Denon to upgrade it to 8K which would make it an X8500HA.

M

masrtin Gillespie

Audiophyte
It is a interesting one , I will keep an eye on Yamaha to see what the 2020/21 flag ship may hold

T

ToddNash

Audiophyte
what is the thinking on Audyssey's midrange compensation setting? on or off ? any pros and cons would be helpful.

V

vr61

Audiophyte
I was searching for a new AVR looking at Marantz SR8012, SR8015, and the Anthem 1120. After considering and watching Gene DellaSala's reviews I decided to go with the Marantz SR8015.
I set it up and calibrated the unit. Then I listened to it and set the speaker cross overs as Gene showed. I listened to it again and listened to my vinyl and steamed music through Heos.
All I can say that compared to the unit I had before the SR8015 made my speakers come to life. This is the best sounding receiver that I have heard by far. Thank you for reviews

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The guess game is over, ASR just measured the SR7015, results were consistent with the SR6014 and AV7705. So it seems like only the SR8015 gets the upgraded HDAMs and the lower models did not, what a shame! For those who want intend to use their D or M AVR with external amps, Denon's will be a better choice in theory if measured performance is the criteria, what an irony!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis