Marantz SR7013 - Now Playing, Auto Off

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha! I'm still not sold on the Yammies. I get that they are the 'reliability leader' right now. Maybe my thought process will change before I make that decision. :)
I'm still favoring Anthem, currently. Though I have zero complaints about the SR6012 (other than BM and Amp Selection... but I think Yamaha is in the same boat there.) Truthfully, I'm kinda hoping the Monoprice HTP-1 will hit the sweet spot. :cool:
Otherwise, like everything else audio, compromises will have to be made. *shrugs

(I'm more than half looking at the DDRC-88A/BM from MiniDSP for the room correction and bass management... which only would require me having an AVR/AVP that can process the channels I want to use and hopefully be able to turn off the Amp stages where I don't need them. That aside, if the HTP-1 does everything, I wouldn't need to spend money on those... rather on more amps. Still, and again, compromises. ;))

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just never frustrate myself with most corporate customer "service'...especially a phone rep.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I hear you on the plasma thing. I’m a nazi when it comes to static images. I use AirPlay from my phone so I use that to control volume and so the osd is just an irritation. If I really don’t want to pick up my Marantz remote, I’ll use the Marantz remote app to power down.

Thing that really pisses me off is my Onkyo from 2008 or whatever, had a programmable remote. AFAIK, the Marantz does not. Wtf...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BTW I also have a couple plasmas and have yet to have any burn-in issues from running pretty much any static display, including a streaming service thru something that doesn't initiate a screen saver (like when I use an app via my Oppo then to avr...but that's when I usually just turn off the display).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, as far as Yamahas reliability, IMO there’s probably just less of them out in the wild. Like back when everyone was up in arms about Onkyos hdmi issue. They probably sold 2:1 over anything else at the time. They were the bang for the buck king, and at the time were pretty good about power ratings. Iirc the 805 was something you weld with.(not really). I never saw any real sales numbers, but it seems like everyone only talked about using Onkyo.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
BTW I also have a couple plasmas and have yet to have any burn-in issues from running pretty much any static display, including a streaming service thru something that doesn't initiate a screen saver (like when I use an app via my Oppo then to avr...but that's when I usually just turn off the display).
We game on ours, and I’ve never had anything burn into it, but I have had ghost images for awhile. I usually play some music on the ps3 and use the screensaver if I’m feeling anal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We game on ours, and I’ve never had anything burn into it, but I have had ghost images for awhile. I usually play some music on the ps3 and use the screensaver if I’m feeling anal.
Yeah I used to kind of freak myself out over some temporary stuff, but long term has not been an issue at all and I do generally not watch things that even have the network logo fixed in a corner....did have a rear projection crt that a roommate had burned the espn logo in pretty good on, tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I used to kind of freak myself out over some temporary stuff, but long term has not been an issue at all and I do generally not watch things that even have the network logo fixed in a corner....did have a rear projection crt that a roommate had burned the espn logo in pretty good on, tho.
Lmao. I had a couple of rptv’s. Don’t miss that stuff. Convergence menus to make sure it was “razor” sharp lol. Dimming bulbs...
Nope. Don’t miss em at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lmao. I had a couple of rptv’s. Don’t miss that stuff. Convergence menus to make sure it was “razor” sharp lol. Dimming bulbs...
Nope. Don’t miss em at all.
Especially when it had to move for the plasma, took 3 guys!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Especially when it had to move for the plasma, took 3 guys!
Lol. Yep that too. Iirc my last one had casters at least. Doesn’t make it any lighter though when your going into a pickup box.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol. Yep that too. Iirc my last one had casters at least. Doesn’t make it any lighter though when your going into a pickup box.
Ours had casters, too but then had to go up an unevenly spaced stairway and sloped driveway to get up to their truck....I tipped them very well.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
In their dreams. :D

I don't think they are big enough to buy Yamaha. :D
Ha, good point.

The market is well matured if things like the quality of customer service has become a differentiating factor.

We need the guys at Anthem, or someone else, to shake things up. Maybe Monoprice like Ryan mentioned above.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My next processor decision may have just gotten a bit easier.
Do what I do - follow Gene's lead and buy what he buys (or close to it). :D

We need the guys at Anthem, or someone else, to shake things up. Maybe Monoprice like Ryan mentioned above.
Monoprice is definitely shaking things up. Can't wait to see Gene's review (when it actually comes out) of the HTP-1.

But $4K is still too pricy for me. I think my days of buying Pre-pros that cost over $2K are over. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In their dreams. :D

I don't think they are big enough to buy Yamaha. :D
Yeah right!!!!!!!! I don’t know how exactly they’re all tied together but if you factor all of the instruments, professional gear, outboard boat motors, atv’s and motorcycles, and then finally home audio equipment it to mention whatever else I can’t think of)...no. Not a chance. Not even a tiny one.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Yeah right!!!!!!!! I don’t know how exactly they’re all tied together but if you factor all of the instruments, professional gear, outboard boat motors, atv’s and motorcycles, and then finally home audio equipment it to mention whatever else I can’t think of)...no. Not a chance. Not even a tiny one.
Hahaha, i bet they wish they could. I imagine that the Yamaha big wigs drop Sound United cash on weekend trips in the Med. while using D&M amps as boat anchors. :p

I know that sometimes these companies treat each division as individual companies. This would potentially allow Yamaha to package up and sell off its AV business, similar to what happened with Toshiba Medical. Canon bought just the medical branch of Toshiba last year. Granted, Canon is huge, but the point is in the separation of corporate structures.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A few little things Yamaha made.

I do believe Yamaha has a few resources to keep most components/parts/technology IN-HOUSE, instead of out-sourcing. :D

Last edited:
sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
A few little things Yamaha made:

The outboard and engine business alone I'm sure eclipses Sound United, but add in the instruments and motor vehicles, and you have a whole new world of income statements that Sound United can only dream of.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sound United, 2018 corporate revenue: a paltry $12.7 million, though this number I'm sure is low due to the recent acquisition of D&M and Onkyo.

Yamaha, 2018 corporate revenue: the ultimate FU money at $3.8 billion...hahahahaha
Wow! That's a huge difference in revenue!

$3,800 million vs $12.7 million?

So Yamaha made about 300 times more than Sound United, which now owns Classe, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, DefTech, Polk, and few others.

I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 times more, not 300 times more. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis