Marantz sr7012 flat bass

H

hash70

Audiophyte
I bought the marantz sr7012 for £850 last week after my yamaha rx1060 developed a fault that couldn't be fixed, I ran audessey from the av but compared to my yamaha 1060 and yamaha dsp3090 it sounds really flat, lifeless, I bought audessey app and done another run of audessey, it improved the bass a bit but I'm feeling really let down with this amp, I'm not sure if its the amp or audessey that's making it sound like this, I Googled the problem and found a few others who also said there sr7012 really lacked bass but they were blaming the audessey fr making it sound flat, it's not just the lack of bass, it's the tone, even if I got more bass I just don't like the flat tone I'm getting, my speakers are dali option 6, dali opticon centre, dali e12 sub in 3.1,i didn't have the trouble before, in fact I didn't even use my sub a lot as the bass I was getting for my yamaha were incredible, I tried different settings, speakers at large/small, midrange on & off, dyn.eq on, then off with tone control bass set as high as it would go, just can't seem to get rid of the horrible flat sound, I'm really just about to pack this bck up and send it bck and go bck to yamaha, but I got a really good deal on this, half price so I want try fix this if it can, I'm a newbie to this so maybe I'm doing something wrong here, I've read some people are using the audessey app as a tone control/eq to get more bass but I'm not sure how I do this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you try simply raising the sub level? Many do that post-Audyssey. Many happy users of that avr...can't imagine it's a whole lot different than a yamaha avr, too. If ya don't like it, tho....

H

hash70

Audiophyte
Yes I raised the the sub level by 5db,it just sounds really flat, I'm used to yamaha which gave me big controlled bass, I hardly used my sub as I found my opticons more than in enough in my room 12fx12ft,the sr7012 sound is clear, detailed but just lacking bass, if I can fix this I'd be happy with it, there is no way I'd run my speakers without a sub jst now as it sounds even worse,I could easily turn off the sub with my old yamaha and be quite content, like I said it's not jst the lack of bass, its the actual tone as well. I've read a few posts on other forums who have said the same thing, but couldn't find anything on how they fixed this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I read comments like yours sometimes and just scratch my head. Guess I've not had an amp that somehow increases bass so much....or is particularly bad sounding or whatever the issue is...maybe it's simply defective? I have four avrs and 7 power amps and an integrated amp on hand now, too, couldn't say any of them are that different from one another, certainly none of them provide extra bass without eq/bass boost of some kind.....not had a Marantz since a 2270 some 30 years ago, tho.

H

hash70

Audiophyte
I came straight from a yamaha rx1060, the sound was punchy and clear, really liked it, as soon as I ran the audessey setup and had a quick listen to a few scenes of my favorite movies the sound although clear jst lacked the punchy sound I'm used to, I also wasn't to impressed with the build quality of the marantz compared to my yamaha 1060,the 1060 although a lot cheaper had superior build quality, from the thicker metal top to the better binding posts, I've read some are getting really good results with the audessey xt app to get better bass response, but like I said I'm new to audessey

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I came straight from a yamaha rx1060, the sound was punchy and clear, really liked it, as soon as I ran the audessey setup and had a quick listen to a few scenes of my favorite movies the sound although clear jst lacked the punchy sound I'm used to, I also wasn't to impressed with the build quality of the marantz compared to my yamaha 1060,the 1060 although a lot cheaper had superior build quality, from the thicker metal top to the better binding posts, I've read some are getting really good results with the audessey xt app to get better bass response, but like I said I'm new to audessey
Try without Audyssey (just keep the data for delay/levels, it's pretty spot on in determining that), many prefer simply not to use it. What are you testing it with material wise?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sonic memory is generally poor FWIW, and expectation bias can play a role, too....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Were you using manual parametric EQ on the Yamaha vs Audyssey on the Marantz?

How about just turn off Audyssey and use the manual EQ on the Marantz?

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I would suggest that you start over with a complete manual setup.....also check to see sub setting on the Marantz to make sure it is not set to "both".....I had an old Klipsch sub that would not put out much bass. I found it required a Y adaptor at the sub end to get a stronger signal......

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
As mentioned above try audyssey off.
Just in case it might be a good idea to double check that all speakers are connected correctly and not out of phase. Also check the connectors between the bi-wire terminals.
Did you run some double bass thing or something before, were the speakers set to large?
Are the speakers in the exact same spot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X

Xerxov

Audiophyte
Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm wondering if Hash70 was ever able to figure out the issue with his SR7012. I have the same problem, and have spent way too many hours re-running Audessey or adjusting manual settings to try to get this receiver to sound ok to no avail. DynamicEQ helps, but the bass is always either too much or just not enough. It seems the mid-lows are what is mostly missing. Turning up the sub will produce a lot of thump, but the sound quality is still lacking and just not "musical". I have messed with the manual EQ but can't seem to find a sweet spot that sounds good.

I have a 32 year old Onkyo receiver that produces much better sounding audio than the Marantz. I've even swapped my speakers and sub between the amps just to see if I was crazy, but regardless of which ones I hook up the result is the same. Is there a hidden "turn off crappy sound" setting on this thing?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I owned a Denon or Marantz or AVR with Audyssey, I would manually increase all speaker trim levels by +5.0. Then use Audyssey BYPASS L/R + Dynamic EQ. Use the highest level of Offset, which I think is 0dB?

The reason for the +5.0 trim level increase is for DEQ to "level" the bass for pretty much all volumes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm wondering if Hash70 was ever able to figure out the issue with his SR7012. I have the same problem, and have spent way too many hours re-running Audessey or adjusting manual settings to try to get this receiver to sound ok to no avail. DynamicEQ helps, but the bass is always either too much or just not enough. It seems the mid-lows are what is mostly missing. Turning up the sub will produce a lot of thump, but the sound quality is still lacking and just not "musical". I have messed with the manual EQ but can't seem to find a sweet spot that sounds good.

I have a 32 year old Onkyo receiver that produces much better sounding audio than the Marantz. I've even swapped my speakers and sub between the amps just to see if I was crazy, but regardless of which ones I hook up the result is the same. Is there a hidden "turn off crappy sound" setting on this thing?
So this old Onkyo has bass management or even a sub out or ? When you say the bass is too much or too little, is that on movies vs music? What setting LFE, or LFE+Main are you using? Crossovers? Speakers and sub are what?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Audyssey typically can do a very decent job but by default it would EQ your 20 - 200 Hz as "flat" as possible so a lot of people would obvious find it "flat" in many cases, relative to that without EQ. If you are among those who prefer more bass towards the low end then you have the option to purchase the $20 Editor App and shape the target curve according. Doing it manually the way you are doing it is a going to be hit and miss, you would have to be very lucky to somehow hit the "sweet spot (for you..)".

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Audyssey typically can do a very decent job but by default it would EQ your 20 - 200 Hz as "flat" as possible so a lot of people would obvious find it "flat" in many cases, relative to that without EQ. If you are among those who prefer more bass towards the low end then you have the option to purchase the $20 Editor App and shape the target curve according. Doing it manually the way you are doing it is a going to be hit and miss, you would have to be very lucky to somehow hit the "sweet spot (for you..)".
[/QUOTE
This^

I bought the marantz sr7012 for £850 last week after my yamaha rx1060 developed a fault that couldn't be fixed, I ran audessey from the av but compared to my yamaha 1060 and yamaha dsp3090 it sounds really flat, lifeless, I bought audessey app and done another run of audessey, it improved the bass a bit but I'm feeling really let down with this amp, I'm not sure if its the amp or audessey that's making it sound like this, I Googled the problem and found a few others who also said there sr7012 really lacked bass but they were blaming the audessey fr making it sound flat, it's not just the lack of bass, it's the tone, even if I got more bass I just don't like the flat tone I'm getting, my speakers are dali option 6, dali opticon centre, dali e12 sub in 3.1,i didn't have the trouble before, in fact I didn't even use my sub a lot as the bass I was getting for my yamaha were incredible, I tried different settings, speakers at large/small, midrange on & off, dyn.eq on, then off with tone control bass set as high as it would go, just can't seem to get rid of the horrible flat sound, I'm really just about to pack this bck up and send it bck and go bck to yamaha, but I got a really good deal on this, half price so I want try fix this if it can, I'm a newbie to this so maybe I'm doing something wrong here, I've read some people are using the audessey app as a tone control/eq to get more bass but I'm not sure how I do this
If both the yamaha and a Marantz/Denon are set to no eq, not sure what the issue would be. However if Audyssey is on, both default curves are very flat and sound very thin if you don't use DEQ. With Audyssey on, first thing to test would be to enable DEQ with Reference Level Offset at 0. If you don't want to use DEQ, get the app, and on the sub put a point at 200hz at 0db and a point at 20hz, drag the 20hz up to 4-6 DB. Then increase the sub levels by the same amount you boosted in the app.
In regards to the overal tone... you might not like what Audyssey is doing to your speakers. With the app, you can limit what frequencies are corrected. I would try Audyssey only correcting up to somewhere between 300-500hz. I would bet with those 2 things with the app you would be happy.
The only way to really know what is going on in room is to measure. Buying a UMIK-1 and downloading the free REW software (if you haven't already) is one of the best things you can do to learn about your room and your system. YMMV, but some things to try. Audyssey is quite good with the App. I don't think I would own a Denon or Marantz if they didn't have the app... it is that important.

M

MattK2

Enthusiast
I bought the 7012 thinking it would rock the house with or without a sub...I was wrong. Most of the amp time is with TV, but when I want either 2 channel or multi-channel stereo out of the 5 speakers, there's literally no low frequencies...all mid -range and up. I have SVS towers with rear bookshelf and a center. The sub is a REL 7 series, which if it weren't for that, I'd think my amp was defective. Is this just the way this amp is setup to run, or can I change settings to make those SVS speakers work a little for a change...my tiny Bose Bluetooth speaker has more bass!!! I'm stumped. I've gone through the Audessey setup once, but it didn't change much. Frankly, I'm kind of ticked off that I can't pump the bass level up halfway and get anything out of the SVS towers below 1000hz. In retrospect, all this new technology doesn't really make thing easier if they hard program the device to have limits. Rather have a POT to adjust than go through 4 pages on some crummy app to change a setting.......

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought the 7012 thinking it would rock the house with or without a sub...I was wrong. Most of the amp time is with TV, but when I want either 2 channel or multi-channel stereo out of the 5 speakers, there's literally no low frequencies...all mid -range and up. I have SVS towers with rear bookshelf and a center. The sub is a REL 7 series, which if it weren't for that, I'd think my amp was defective. Is this just the way this amp is setup to run, or can I change settings to make those SVS speakers work a little for a change...my tiny Bose Bluetooth speaker has more bass!!! I'm stumped. I've gone through the Audessey setup once, but it didn't change much. Frankly, I'm kind of ticked off that I can't pump the bass level up halfway and get anything out of the SVS towers below 1000hz. In retrospect, all this new technology doesn't really make thing easier if they hard program the device to have limits. Rather have a POT to adjust than go through 4 pages on some crummy app to change a setting.......
What are you using for basic bass setting, LFE or LFE+Main? Speakers/crossovers set as small/large? Using DynamicEQ, turning off Dynamic Volume? Some don't like the flattish response Audyssey aims at, tho but there are things you can tweak but not with a knob....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You're doing something totally wrong - User Error

M

MattK2

Enthusiast
At present the settings are at:

LFE+Main
Large Speakers
Dyn EQ Yes
Dyn Vol Medium

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think part of the problem is the REL. it’s small, and is -6db at 30hz.(if you can believe the spec sheet)
Also turn off dynamic volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis