Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I ordered my new Marantz SR7009 this past weekend from Crutchfield, they had it on sale for less than the SR6009, couldn't pass it up.

Auro-3D is a $199.00 "upgrade", for now I'm going to pass on that, I'm posting to ask if anybody has had any issues updating their firmware and if so what did you do to get it solved.

Updating firmware is something I'm used to, however if the process if borked I'd rather find out before I try it out.

I can't post a signature yet so here is a quick system run down.

TV - Samsung 55" 8000 series
Receiver - Marantz SR5003 (great receiver!) new SR7009 on it's way
Mains - Klipsch RF-82's
Center - Klipsch RC-64
Rear - 3 Klipsch RS-52's
Subs - 2 AV123 MFW-15's living on borrowed time on V2 amps
Blu-Ray - Samsung BD something... have to look
CD/DVD - Panasonic DVD-A10

selden

selden

Audioholic
Firmware updates are most likely to have problems if the AVR uses its WiFi connection or if you try to do an update when the update is first announced. WiFi connections tend to be much more unreliable than hard-wired ethernet connections. Also, D+M's firmware servers tend to be overloaded for the first week or so after a firmware update has been released.

There haven't been any firmware updates for the SR7009 for quite a while. Your unit might come with them all installed.

I haven't had any problems updating the firmware on my SR7009. See above ;)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Firmware updates are most likely to have problems if the AVR uses its WiFi connection or if you try to do an update when the update is first announced. WiFi connections tend to be much more unreliable than hard-wired ethernet connections. Also, D+M's firmware servers tend to be overloaded for the first week or so after a firmware update has been released.

There haven't been any firmware updates for the SR7009 for quite a while. Your unit might come with them all installed.

I haven't had any problems updating the firmware on my SR7009. See above ;)
selden,

I don't use WiFi for any of my equipment, I have a very good Gigabit switch so everything goes through that. I am hoping the unit comes with the latest and greatest firmware pre-installed, we'll see.

Are you going to or have you updated to Auro-3D yet?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
selden,

I don't use WiFi for any of my equipment, I have a very good Gigabit switch so everything goes through that. I am hoping the unit comes with the latest and greatest firmware pre-installed, we'll see.

I just installed a SR7009 for someone. The FW update process took almost an hour. The download itself was very quick even via a relatively weak and slow wifi connection but the installation process took a very long time to complete.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I just installed a SR7009 for someone. The FW update process took almost an hour. The download itself was very quick even via a relatively weak and slow wifi connection but the installation process took a very long time to complete.
PENG,

Wow, that's something! I'm hoping mine is a new production run with the newer firmware already loaded. I'll find out tomorrow, I was just notified by UPS that it should be there by 4pm, perfect timing for me to work on it Thursday, my day off and the wife won't be there so I can have a field day testing without her asking if it's really necessary to play it so loud.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG,

Wow, that's something! I'm hoping mine is a new production run with the newer firmware already loaded. I'll find out tomorrow, I was just notified by UPS that it should be there by 4pm, perfect timing for me to work on it Thursday, my day off and the wife won't be there so I can have a field day testing without her asking if it's really necessary to play it so loud.
I think they have stopped producing the 7009 for quite some time but they typically still update the FW for a year or longer so I am quite sure you will be notified of an update. The one I installed is a brand new one too but I have no idea whether it was from the latest production run.

There is really no big deal, just make sure you don't pick a stormy day.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I think they have stopped producing the 7009 for quite some time but they typically still update the FW for a year or longer so I am quite sure you will be notified of an update. The one I installed is a brand new one too but I have no idea whether it was from the latest production run.

There is really no big deal, just make sure you don't pick a stormy day.
I have pretty rock solid internet, the AVR arrives tomorrow, you're right, the 7010 has been out a while, we'll see tomorrow!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have pretty rock solid internet, the AVR arrives tomorrow, you're right, the 7010 has been out a while, we'll see tomorrow!
Sorry if I wasn't clear, the download took very little time so the concern is not internet connection. The install took a long time, felt like 45 minutes so make sure you no one accidentally pull the power plug on you. Whenever software is being installed, it is best not to interrupt it. Anyway, I am sure you will be fine. The 7009 should be a significant upgrade for you, so please come back soon and let us know who it goes.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Sorry if I wasn't clear, the download took very little time so the concern is not internet connection. The install took a long time, felt like 45 minutes so make sure you no one accidentally pull the power plug on you. Whenever software is being installed, it is best not to interrupt it. Anyway, I am sure you will be fine.
No, you were clear, I was rushing around and didn't pay attention. Thankfully I have Thursday off, so nobody will be home to interfere. I will be having, I hope, a lot of fun! :D

selden

selden

Audioholic
I decided against it. There have been very few movie titles released (~ 3 so far), none in the US. Apparently Sony is in the process of making about a half-dozen titles available in Germany, starting with Pixels. The Norwegian company 2L has produced a handful of music discs. Supposedly people who asked about it at CEDIA learned that D+M has sold only about 2000 Auro3D firmware upgrades worldwide. I would hope that there have been more than that number of high-end units sold which support it, but the lack of consumer sales must be a major disappointment.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'll hold off as well, we'll see how it goes down the road, thanks for the advice!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Well, I let Audyssey do its thing, it says the subs are 18ft away, the rears are 20ft away, it's no better than when I ran it on the SR5003. Oy friggin vey... tomorrow I'll be setting everything up manually.

I do like the Marantz app though, so there is that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I let Audyssey do its thing, it says the subs are 18ft away, the rears are 20ft away, it's no better than when I ran it on the SR5003. Oy friggin vey... tomorrow I'll be setting everything up manually.

I do like the Marantz app though, so there is that.
I used to do things manually too but have since taken enough measurements with REW to know that Audyssey can do a much better job especially with the subs. If you want, you can set the L/R to bypass after, but for distance and levels, trust Audyssey, don't mess with it.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I used to do things manually too but have since taken enough measurements with REW to know that Audyssey can do a much better job especially with the subs. If you want, you can set the L/R to bypass after, but for distance and levels, trust Audyssey, don't mess with it.
My room is 15x15 square, it has the subs marked 18ft away, it has the surrounds at distances that are ridiculous and they are running so hot I can hear them OVER the mains.

I did follow the directions, a 5 year old could do this, there are 8 steps, I have now run it over several times, it does the same thing each time.

You would think Audyssey would set the mains and center as small since this is something they themselves preach, yet, there they are all set as large.

So, since I do NOT want my rear surrounds louder than my mains, I'm going to do the distances by measuring, the actual distance. It would also be nice if I could actually have the subs doing something, they are barely there right now.

I DO NOT TRUST Audyssey when it comes up with distances so far off, also, maybe everybody likes everything set to zero, it sounds flat as a pancake... if I walked into your house and it sounded like mine does right now, I'd tell you that you threw a lot of money away.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I DO NOT TRUST Audyssey when it comes up with distances so far off
The distance calc is a bit of a misnomer. With respect for subwoofers, Audyssey also has to account for any small delays introduced at the sub's amp, which can cause odd looking distance numbers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My room is 15x15 square, it has the subs marked 18ft away, it has the surrounds at distances that are ridiculous and they are running so hot I can hear them OVER the mains.

I did follow the directions, a 5 year old could do this, there are 8 steps, I have now run it over several times, it does the same thing each time.

You would think Audyssey would set the mains and center as small since this is something they themselves preach, yet, there they are all set as large.

So, since I do NOT want my rear surrounds louder than my mains, I'm going to do the distances by measuring, the actual distance. It would also be nice if I could actually have the subs doing something, they are barely there right now.

I DO NOT TRUST Audyssey when it comes up with distances so far off, also, maybe everybody likes everything set to zero, it sounds flat as a pancake... if I walked into your house and it sounded like mine does right now, I'd tell you that you threw a lot of money away.
Audyssey has explained the large/small thing many times. They don't set "large" or "small", the AVR manufacturer (Marnatz in this case) does the setting based on the information collected. Their preach has been to ignore the manufacturer's setting and change it to "Small" unless you have gigantic truly fully range speakers.

As for the distance, I do understanding the feeling. Whether they will match up with the physically measured distance or not would depend on your specific acoustic environment. In my HT room it is always accurate almost to the inch, but I just install the SR7009 and MA Silver 8 system in a large room, also almost square like yours, the distances don't match up with the physical measurements either. I choose to leave it alone because I do believe it is the "acoustic distance" that counts, not the physical distance. It won't affect the higher frequencies that much anyway.

If you are only doing the distance and level manually, and if you still want to use Audyssey, you should choose L/R bypass so Audyssey will still EQ your sub(s).

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
The distance calc is a bit of a misnomer. With respect for subwoofers, Audyssey also has to account for any small delays introduced at the sub's amp, which can cause odd looking distance numbers.
I get that, but 18.5ft and a setting of -10, wow, the subs are barely doing a thing. I'm going to once again run it through and see what happens.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Audyssey has explained the large/small thing many times. They don't set "large" or "small", the AVR manufacturer (Marnatz in this case) does the setting based on the information collected. Their preach has been to ignore the manufacturer's setting and change it to "Small" unless you have gigantic truly fully range speakers.

As for the distance, I do understanding the feeling. Whether they will match up with the physically measured distance or not would depend on your specific acoustic environment. In my HT room it is always accurate almost to the inch, but I just install the SR7009 and MA Silver 8 system in a large room, also almost square like yours, the distances don't match up with the physical measurements either. I choose to leave it alone because I do believe it is the "acoustic distance" that counts, not the physical distance. It won't affect the higher frequencies that much anyway.

If you are only doing the distance and level manually, and if you still want to use Audyssey, you should choose L/R bypass so Audyssey will still EQ your sub(s).
Makes perfect sense, the SR7009 is a completely different animal compared to the SR5003, but right now, as configured by Audyssey, that little SR5003 is wiping the floor with the SR7009.

I do have a lot to learn, but right now, Audyssey has most gains set to -10, the subs set to -11 on the last go round, shouldn't Audyssey be consistent if the mic is set per instructions each time you run it?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I get that, but 18.5ft and a setting of -10, wow, the subs are barely doing a thing. I'm going to once again run it through and see what happens.
With a -10 trim on the sub, you might actually want to back their gain down a tad before re-running. You can always bump up the trim a tad to compensate (and season to taste), but this can help lead to a more accurate result. It's also useful if you're listening at lower levels, since with such a low trim, your subs might not be seeing enough signal from the AVR to turn on.

Edit: PS, do you have any ability to measure the results of what Audyssey is doing?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Actually you should not really "hear" the subs for music, the bass of your mains should just seem more solid.
I usually run my subs 5-6dB hotter than Audyssey suggested for HT action movies to give more excitement/fun to the movie.
But for music, if I left it this high, I would drown out a lot of upper to mid bass by having too much low bass. If you come from car audio, this is often a point of confusion. However, if you listen to music with lots of rich bass detail throughout the low to upper bass range, you will see how too much low bass muddies up the rest.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis