P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I qualify as even a newb Audessey user, but I'm working on it.
Aside from the furnace (DOH!!) aside form using a level, it was as straight as I could get it.

The mic in position 7 & 8 was inbetween the HT recliners, I need to take a picture but it had clear line of sight to the AVR, BUT was closer to the wall in 7 & 8 than I would like.

I wish the seats weren't up to the wall, not butting up against, but very close making it difficult to get the last 2 positions correct.

All 3 listening position are in HT Recliners very close to the back wall, the room is too damn small. This is what happens when you buy to please your wife instead of buying to make both happy.

I do have to say however, last night it sounded incredible after I went through using the DB meter and the Marantz test tones. I hope to run through it tomorrow depending on if work calls or not.

Last note, using multi-ch Stereo with Adel 25, sounded incredible!
Thanks for the detailed descriptions, I think I can picture it without a picture. If your recliners are closed to the back wall, you are better off not doing the last two positions because chance is good that it will make things worse. Distance/delays and level trims though, are determined in the first position.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Where does your signal come from? Are they transmitting analog still? I don't even know!
Or do you feed it from a VCR?
Old fashioned VHS, everything you feed it looks the same. :)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
One of my MFW's died last night screeching like crazy before I unplugged it..... nuts. I had hoped it would make it until Mark Seaton had his upgrades ready to pick up.

I ran Audessey through it's paces this morning, wife wasn't home, the cat and dog were placed in the basement (separate places of course), and the furnace shut off. With the mic going no more than 20 inches per the prompts for the last 2 positions, it went as it should. In fact the couch on the screen is near identical to the one I use. However the one on screen shows more than a few feet from the wall.

So I know what you're going to say, no more than 20 inches but the couch is still too close. Agreed, I'm going to call a few high end audio shops in the area and ask what they think.

Anyway, the results, since there is one sub it is now showing 20ft away -11, the center shows as 15ft away, -10, mains, -11 left 14ft, right -11 13ft, the surrounds came up as 11ft away, -1 left, 8ft away -4 right.

Put in a movie and once again I hear the surrounds over the mains and the lone subwoofer has zero impact what so ever. I left Audessey alone after that, and modified the levels for each using the Marantz tone generator and it sounds pretty spot on to last night minus some of the impact due to the loss of one subwoofer.

The wife is home and watching TV, so the next run will be later today, not running the last two steps and seeing what happens.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Then using the DB meter I pushed the system with the SR5003 and received 123db figuring even if it's off it can compare the two receivers.

The best I got with the SR7009 was 121db using the same music to test with.
I understand that's when you pushed it to the limit, but what is the range of your normal listening level, using the same music?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I understand that's when you pushed it to the limit, but what is the range of your normal listening level, using the same music?
You know what, good question! Well, that will be impossible to determine now that the MFW croaked, now the 2nd MFW is making funny noise as well.

Pushing them was a bad idea, I have an email over to Mark Seaton to get at minimum his new ICE Amps so I can get the system back to full tilt. For now, I turned the mains and center to large and keeping the subs off until I can get new amps or amps and drivers.

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I am loving the SR7009 so far, it sounds fantastic, better imaging than the SR5003 for sure.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Anybody else who has the Marantz SR7009, the full user guide plus pictures is located here - http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7009/EU/EN/GFNFSYzpicrgcm.php

I just found this in the manual "When using a single surround back speaker, connect it to the SURROUND BACK L terminal." I can now use the center rear speaker for this purpose. This is an old picture, at least 7 years old, we now have theater recliners instead of a couch. The SR5003 allowed the use of a surround channel if you didn't have room for surround sides and surround back.

I can now use the wide surrounds as side's and the center as the lone back surround (again, I didn't initially see this). This isn't optimal but with the WAF factor, the side with the lamp on has no space for side surrounds without going high and the right side has a window. :confused:

So, for now, Marantz has given me an option until I can figure out a clean way to use 4 speakers in the back as they are supposed to be.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis