Marantz SR7002 Receiver Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think an audio amplifer designer/engineer can answer your question in a more definitive way. My educated (hopefully) guess is that using more transistors per channel may produce more heat during idling but I doubt it is the reason why the 805 reportedly run hotter in general. As you know high power amplifiers generally use much more than 2 transistors per channel and not all of them run excessively hot
the # of output devices is independent of the power/heat dissipation of the amp. The likely reason the Onkyo amp runs hot in idle, just like the newer Yamaha's, is likely b/c of a higher bias into class A than typical. The advantage is a theoretical improvement (and sometimes audible) at lower power levels to minimize crossover distortion. The disadvantage is more heat and power loss.

The advantage of using multiple output devices is for higher current delivery into low impedance loads, assuming you are comparing identical power transistors for each design. Its possible the onkyo is using lower rated power transistors and thus ganged up an extra pair per channel to make a super transistor pair. Without knowing the specs, its impossible to make an educated guess.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
the # of output devices is independent of the idle power/heat dissipation of the amp. The likely reason the Onkyo amp runs hot in idle, just like the newer Yamaha's, is likely b/c of a higher bias into class A than typical. The advantage is a theoretical improvement (and sometimes audible) at lower power levels to minimize crossover distortion. The disadvantage is more heat and power loss.

The advantage of using multiple output devices is for higher current delivery into low impedance loads, assuming you are comparing identical power transistors for each design. Its possible the onkyo is using lower rated power transistors and thus ganged up an extra pair per channel to make a super transistor pair. Without knowing the specs, its impossible to make an educated guess.
Cool, the more you know right?:) Which new Yamahas, upper end, lower end, all?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
the # of output devices is independent of the power/heat dissipation of the amp. The likely reason the Onkyo amp runs hot in idle, just like the newer Yamaha's, is likely b/c of a higher bias into class A than typical.
Actually the higher bias thing was what I had in mind but I guess I am wrong in thinking that more devices in parallel would in fact generate more heat in total than if a single pair of larger transistors are used based on efficiency under idling conditions. Thanks for clarifying this for us.

C

ctwed

Audioholic Intern
In the Audioholic's review, all of the discussion in this forum, as well as Marrantz's web site, there is NO mention of a turntable imput. Could it be that Marrantz has, in addition to their ignoring the cable box, also ignored the turntable? If I missed something please point me in the right direction. If I am correct then "its a shame" as I was on the verge of buying a Marrantz receiver. Receiver buyers by definition, on many levels, do not want numerous separate pieces of equipment to contend with so a separate phono stage is out. I believe all of the other major competitors have included this feature. Maybe the poster is right, Marrantz is delibertly pushing sales to Denon. Oh well, back to my shopping.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
In the Audioholic's review, all of the discussion in this forum, as well as Marrantz's web site, there is NO mention of a turntable imput. Could it be that Marrantz has, in addition to their ignoring the cable box, also ignored the turntable? If I missed something please point me in the right direction. If I am correct then "its a shame" as I was on the verge of buying a Marrantz receiver. Receiver buyers by definition, on many levels, do not want numerous separate pieces of equipment to contend with so a separate phono stage is out. I believe all of the other major competitors have included this feature. Maybe the poster is right, Marrantz is delibertly pushing sales to Denon. Oh well, back to my shopping.
Interesting thing about the turntale input.I may be wrong but i found that most dont have this feature anymore.I know my last couple rec. did not.also i've heard/read that the phono stages are alot better than any rec. turntable input which may be another reason for not having it in the reciever..

B

BigFella

Audiophyte
Thank you for the fantastic review Clint! I've owned this receiver since 12/07 (a Christmas present to myself) and I've been really pleased with it. It's great to see reviews, especially positive ones, start to come out. Coincidently, I just finished reading another review in this months Sound and Vision magazine.

A few points:

Did you experience the -9db sub woofer level bug after running Audyssey? After I ran the Audyssey set-up, I noticed that the bass response seemed exceptionally weak. I snooped around AVS forum and found others were experiencing the same issue. There is apparently some math error going on but it's easily corrected by manually bumping the trim of your sub up by 9db. I did that and boy what difference - sounds great!

In regards to the HDMI 4/1/1 issue, not to make excuses but could it be that there is some sort of HDCP or other copyright protection whohah going on here? I don't know, just speculating. It's not an issue for me in my configuration - I have a plasma display for daytime and a front projector for nighttime viewing in the same room. At night my screen comes down in front of my plasma, I switch the projector on and switch the HDMI output to #2 on the 7002, using my Marantz remote. Not a problem for me but I guess it could be for users with displays in two separate rooms. Then again, isn't that what D/A's and splitters are for?

Finally, the reference in your review to the Apollo/Saturn V Visitor Center soundtrack gave me a big smile. I was also involved with that project (special effects) and now you've gone and made me want to dust off my copy of that CD and give it a spin!:D

M

MikeNC

Audiophyte
Happy SR7002 owner

Hi,

Excellent, well done review for a great receiver. I started shopping for a new receiver back in October of '07 as a birthday present to myself after acquiring an 23 yr old Rotel Integrated Amplifier and was floored by how good it sounded. :)

I went to a local AV dealer here in Raleigh and they loaned me a Marantz SR7001 over a weekend, The next weekend I tried out a Rotel RSX 1056. Both were great receivers, but I found the Marantz had a lower noise floor and the remote was much easier to use. I ended up picking up an SR7002 and as expected, I couldn't hear any difference and the menus etc. are largely identical with the 7002 being a minor upgrade.

I received my SR7002 in November of '07 and within a week, the thing died! It just shut itself off and never came back on. I called my dealer on the morning they opened, they asked me to bring in dead receiver only (and told me to keep the box, remotes, manuals etc.). When I got to the store, they were out of SR7002's so they lent me the same SR7001 I had borrowed before. About 10 days later, they called me and told me they had a new SR7002 for me. This was pretty good turn-around time given this was over Thanksgiving. I brought the new replacement unit home and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

So aside from having one that died in a week, I've been really pleased and apperantly I've been the only one who has seen one of these things fail.

M

MikeNC

Audiophyte
bi-amping with an SR7002

I had forgotten to ask.. but is anyone aside from me using the SR7002 to bi-amp their front speakers?

I tried it, because afterall I don't have back surround speakers and didn't want those extra 2 channels to go to waste. :)

I have to say it does seem to provide an extra bit of clarity and detail to the sound and several friends of mine were able to notice a difference although we didn't do a double-blind test or anything.

Here are the speakers I am using:

2 Paradigm Monitor 9's (circa 1999-2000) for fronts
2 Paradigm ADP 370's v2 dipole surrounds
1 Paradigm CC-370 for the center channel.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
If I was to come back a couple of months in time and get another receiver, it would be the Marantz 7002 hands down. I miss that warmth. No worries I like my RX-V1800 but I had a great deal at futureshop, where I was working at that time. Marantz just have the best amplifiers in the mid-fi world IMO. And what a nice looking receiver! Just pleasing to look at and to turn the knobs. Anyone in for a trade? :D lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I was to come back a couple of months in time and get another receiver, it would be the Marantz 7002 hands down. I miss that warmth.
I think you have a choice if you want to forget (therefore won't miss) that warmth. Just borrow a so called warm HK or Marantz and do some level matched blind tests with some friends. Or don't do it so as to keep that "warmth" memory intact.:)

In the Audioholic's review, all of the discussion in this forum, as well as Marrantz's web site, there is NO mention of a turntable input.
That's cause there is no phono input. All the people I know who are into LPs wouldn't be caught dead using an internal phono preamp anyway, so I really don't see the point in including one on any AV receiver.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Clint, 110 WPC into your RBH Cinemasite? Wasn't this quite underpowered for a good evaluation?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Clint, 110 WPC into your RBH Cinemasite? Wasn't this quite underpowered for a good evaluation?
I don't see why they would be, they are of moderate too high efficiency (depending on configuration) and are nominally rated @ 8 ohms.:confused: Clint isn't trying to go deaf you know.;)

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I don't see why they would be, they are of moderate too high efficiency (depending on configuration) and are nominally rated @ 8 ohms.:confused: Clint isn't trying to go deaf you know.;)
The speakers if I'm not mistaken are rated at 300 watts.

Disappointed at the Audyssey EQ only version.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The speakers if I'm not mistaken are rated at 300 watts.

Disappointed at the Audyssey EQ only version.
Just because they are rated to handle 300 watts, or 3000 watts doesn't mean a receiver rated for 110 watts can't power them. They range from 88db/1watt/1meter to 92db/1watt/1meter with 8 ohms nominal load. Most any mass market receiver should have no trouble driving those arrays to very respectable levels of output, possibly to the point of hearing damage.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Just because they are rated to handle 300 watts, or 3000 watts doesn't mean a receiver rated for 110 watts can't power them. They range from 88db/1watt/1meter to 92db/1watt/1meter with 8 ohms nominal load. Most any mass market receiver should have no trouble driving those arrays to very respectable levels of output, possibly to the point of hearing damage.
Could you please explain further the ohms rating as it relates to watt driving the speakers? Thanks.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They are 8 ohms nominal, typically meaning most amplifiers should have no trouble driving them. Power amplifiers are typically capable of handling 4 ohm loads found on many high end speakers. This isn't to say that all high end speakers are 4 ohm and that all low end speakers are 8 ohm, that simply isn't the case and I would never imply that. I do believe that a mass majority of high end speakers are lower impedance making them taxing on receivers (this isn't the case with the RBHs, so this factor can be ruled out).

Second, the efficiency of the speakers. Even at 88db/1watt/1meter you could generate 100 db given 100 watts at a distance of 2.5 meters (an approximation of the typical listening distance). As you might have guessed, 100 decibels is pretty loud. I doubt you would need or want to have that sustained level of output for any period of time exceeding several seconds. For reference, 100 decibels is about the same level of decibel output as a chainsaw.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
They are 8 ohms nominal, ......
Thanks for your comment. Would you say that this Marantz will power a 4ohm effectively?

What is the formula for calculating effective wattage given the speaker's ohm rating? If an amplifier indicates 110 w on 8 ohm spk what would be the wattage at 4 ohm? Thanks.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I cannot think of any A/V receivers with phono inputs anymore. There are some moderately priced pre-amps with decent internal phono pre-amps (my Parasound is one). Nad for a long time had a $400 integrated with a surprisingly good phono pre-amp. The Ht world is very price conscious and since few use vinyl anymore this seems to be a universal method of cutting costs. Phono pre-amps are not very large and should be easily incorporated into your HT if necessary.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis