Marantz SR5013 Phono in hiJinks

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Recently purchased a Project Debut Pro with a Sumiko Ranier cartridge. The manual for the Marantz SR5013 states that a preamp is NOT required for a TT with a MM cartridge. (simplicity is genius). However, upon set-up, I could barely hear it at high volume. After speaking with the retailer that sold me the TT, they stated that perhaps I did need a preamp. So I added a NAD PP2e and Audioquest Evergreen connects to run from P/A to SR5013 phono in.
Let's step back a few days. I had an older Sherwood Newcastle R972 in place just to confirm the TT was functional. (I had a different TT running through the Tape inputs on that receiver a while back, with a Preamp and it worked great.) I was able to confirm that the Project TT was functioning properly (and sounded awesome) and better than my previous vintage deck. I mention this to help eliminate the current TT/Preamp set-up from the equation.
Back to the Marantz. While setting up the input for phono in, I performed a test though the setup. Output was at a higher level, but extreme static was mingling with the playback. So, I connected to an analog in CD. Static was gone but the output level was still very low.
I'm out of options and hoping maybe one of you might have something to contribute.
Thanks in advance.

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Recently purchased a Project Debut Pro with a Sumiko Ranier cartridge. The manual for the Marantz SR5013 states that a preamp is NOT required for a TT with a MM cartridge. (simplicity is genius). However, upon set-up, I could barely hear it at high volume. After speaking with the retailer that sold me the TT, they stated that perhaps I did need a preamp. So I added a NAD PP2e and Audioquest Evergreen connects to run from P/A to SR5013 phono in.
Let's step back a few days. I had an older Sherwood Newcastle R972 in place just to confirm the TT was functional. (I had a different TT running through the Tape inputs on that receiver a while back, with a Preamp and it worked great.) I was able to confirm that the Project TT was functioning properly (and sounded awesome) and better than my previous vintage deck. I mention this to help eliminate the current TT/Preamp set-up from the equation.
Back to the Marantz. While setting up the input for phono in, I performed a test though the setup. Output was at a higher level, but extreme static was mingling with the playback. So, I connected to an analog in CD. Static was gone but the output level was still very low.
I'm out of options and hoping maybe one of you might have something to contribute.
Thanks in advance.
Nevermind. It works without the P/A. The output is not what I had hoped for, but it works. I do have to turn it up to about 60% max volume to get a reasonable output level. My SN 972 would do the same at 30%.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can go into inputs - source level - and raise it up some for the phono input, or the cd or other analog input if using an external phono stage. If the external phono stage has a gain adjustment you could increase its output. Your cartridge has a decent output level per its spec but not unusual for a tt to simply have lower output compared to modern digital sources. Though you shouldn't use the external phono stage on top of the avr's phono stage, you're duplicating the RIAA eq that way.

Did the Sherwood use a dB based volume scale? It's logarithmic, not linear, on the Marantz in any case, so a percentage isn't very meaningful (as each time you move the volume by 3dB you're doubling the power used). Just turn it up to the volume you want.

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Right on. Makes sense and very helpful. Never thought of the source level adjustments.
To answer your question on the Sherwood, volume level displayed in db's.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right on. Makes sense and very helpful. Never thought of the source level adjustments.
To answer your question on the Sherwood, volume level displayed in db's.
Same volume scale, tho? Same input sensitivity? Comparing different units volume readings don't mean much....

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Think the Marantz scale is 0-100, if that's what you mean? So, it is different than the Sherwood.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Think the Marantz scale is 0-100, if that's what you mean? So, it is different than the Sherwood.
That's called the absolute scale, there's also the reference scale and you have the choice to use one or the other on your Marantz (in audio - volume - scale)

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
Thanks for the pointer. Sounds like I need to dig into the manual. I never really dug into my Sherwood. It has a ton of bells and whistles for 5.1 including Trinnov Optimization. Stereo was excellent too. Never received much in accolades, but that's mostly marketing dollars.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the pointer. Sounds like I need to dig into the manual. I never really dug into my Sherwood. It has a ton of bells and whistles for 5.1 including Trinnov Optimization. Stereo was excellent too. Never received much in accolades, but that's mostly marketing dollars.
Yeah always wanted to try that Sherwood with the Trinnov....but the large numbers of issues reported and taking too long to make up my mind nixed that....Trinnov got decidedly more expensive after that licensing....

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
I've had some issues and heard of others. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It's certainly not junk.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had some issues and heard of others. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It's certainly not junk.
So you still use it? Or is it needing work at this point? Certainly a dsp section that can't be had easily for that kind of cost.

Apollomeo

Apollomeo

Enthusiast
It's fully functional, but I don't have the space for it right now. Downsized into a 800 sq ft apartment after I sold my house and relocated. I dont even have my surrounds active at this time.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I could use the DSP in conjunction with the Marantz?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's fully functional, but I don't have the space for it right now. Downsized into a 800 sq ft apartment after I sold my house and relocated. I dont even have my surrounds active at this time.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I could use the DSP in conjunction with the Marantz?
Could be....the Marantz has the 7.1 inputs....does the Sherwood provide a full set of pre-outs? Be interesting to compare it to Audyssey....

Bruni

Bruni

Audiophyte
please, I have some Marantz equipment including models: Power 250m, pre 3800 and tuner 150, does anyone know a place in Florida for a general overhaul or restoration of equipment? thanks for listening

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
please, I have some Marantz equipment including models: Power 250m, pre 3800 and tuner 150, does anyone know a place in Florida for a general overhaul or restoration of equipment? thanks for listening
DUDE - SERIOUSLY!!!

Make your own thread instead of threadjacking someone else's question. You've done this in MULTIPLE topics as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis