Marantz SR5012 Powers Off Almost Instantly after Starting

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks PENG. Problem was that it never stayed powered up long enough to access resets/or other options modes.
Eventually, I located an authorized repair center here in Thailand (Bangkok), talked to them and they thought it may be a power supply issue as well.
Overnight shipping for the 16kg.cost me less than $10.00 so I figured why not see what it would cost for a fix.
They said they got it the same day and it was in line to be looked at.
Got an email today (3 days after they recieved it) and advised me that they replaced the IC board on the HDMI for a total cost of about $145.00 with a 3 month guarantee on their parts.
Needless to say, it's on it's way back to me now and I'm tickled to death with the result. I was kinda looking forward to buying seperates but satisified with the 7009. Sources here are limited on seperates, so I also delighted that I don't have to spend $6000.00 + on new gear.

W

wisdom777

Audiophyte
That is a very different unit. It is an integrated audio amp and not an AV receiver. So it probably will be more durable as it contains less components, and so that statistically reduces the chance of failure.

Your AV receiver is far, far more complex and therefore there is far more chance of failure on a purely statistical basis. Marantz, do not make the components, beans as they are now known. Anyone of these can fail.

The root cause here is that receivers are made on the cheap. They have a lot of amps crammed in around complex processing circuitry. Devices this complex should have a modular design, which would give people a good shot of having their units serviced in the event of failure. That is just one of the many reasons I use and strongly advise separates.

If I bought a complex 11.2 channel receiver, I would expect it to blow up in the first week and would not be surprised if it did.

It's such a shame. I obtained a Marantz SR-7400 second hand two years ago appx. I never realised the sound that was going to come forth from this beast! It's probably not half as good as some of the peoples kits here, but, it was far more than I'd ever sadly owned - a depth and clarity and richness I've never experienced in my own home. I had an old JVC given to me just prior to this which was beautiful, it just couldnt power my speakers to the excessive level I often pushed them to!
But my Marantz SR7400 started to power off into power-save mode - and it seems from the many posts on many forums that the potential cost is too prohibitive for a fix. I was quoted an initial $380-400, with no guarantees it wouldnt cost more by a repairman - Now, I do NOT question the repairmen's wages at all, but it's just not right that these things are made with such inherent design issues that lead to them going to the scrapheap because of the time/cost for repair. But Alas, what doesnt die too early thats beyond afforable repair these days! Gosh - if the poeple collectively stood up for this, then we'd never have these problems - ah, we can only dream.

That said - I have no idea really about audio - other than I seem to have a much sharper ear for it than most, and where most are satisfied greatly, I hear something a lot less - yet this abyss of a hole in this audio world and the intellectual capacity for me to traverse it swiflty is problematic for me to say the least - not to mention the previous lack of funds to enagage more equipment and experience there as well.

Regarding your idea/suggestion for a "separate" set-up - could you suggest a few Amps that arent overly expensive(even if 2nd hand) that would have comparable sound to my Marantz sr-7400??????

I dont even know where to start?!?!? (and I dont wanna go back to a second hand marantz as my own exp and many others on the internet seem to end up as "parts" for similar reasons) - I just have tasted of this glorious sounds from this Marantz and can not go back now - I have 4 all in one cheapish Amps picked up appx same time as the marantz and their all awful in comparison now that Ive had the Marantz. I just want that sound Im now accustomed to.

In terms of usage - I play almost everything off of my PC which is pushed out to the AMP. I am a music man - I love movies, BUT, rarely get the chance to watch these days so its 99% music in terms of usage.

Sorry for the long post - THANK YOU for any suggestions anyone would love to throw at me :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It's such a shame. I obtained a Marantz SR-7400 second hand two years ago appx. I never realised the sound that was going to come forth from this beast! It's probably not half as good as some of the peoples kits here, but, it was far more than I'd ever sadly owned - a depth and clarity and richness I've never experienced in my own home. I had an old JVC given to me just prior to this which was beautiful, it just couldnt power my speakers to the excessive level I often pushed them to!
But my Marantz SR7400 started to power off into power-save mode - and it seems from the many posts on many forums that the potential cost is too prohibitive for a fix. I was quoted an initial $380-400, with no guarantees it wouldnt cost more by a repairman - Now, I do NOT question the repairmen's wages at all, but it's just not right that these things are made with such inherent design issues that lead to them going to the scrapheap because of the time/cost for repair. But Alas, what doesnt die too early thats beyond afforable repair these days! Gosh - if the poeple collectively stood up for this, then we'd never have these problems - ah, we can only dream.

That said - I have no idea really about audio - other than I seem to have a much sharper ear for it than most, and where most are satisfied greatly, I hear something a lot less - yet this abyss of a hole in this audio world and the intellectual capacity for me to traverse it swiflty is problematic for me to say the least - not to mention the previous lack of funds to enagage more equipment and experience there as well.

Regarding your idea/suggestion for a "separate" set-up - could you suggest a few Amps that arent overly expensive(even if 2nd hand) that would have comparable sound to my Marantz sr-7400??????

I dont even know where to start?!?!? (and I dont wanna go back to a second hand marantz as my own exp and many others on the internet seem to end up as "parts" for similar reasons) - I just have tasted of this glorious sounds from this Marantz and can not go back now - I have 4 all in one cheapish Amps picked up appx same time as the marantz and their all awful in comparison now that Ive had the Marantz. I just want that sound Im now accustomed to.

In terms of usage - I play almost everything off of my PC which is pushed out to the AMP. I am a music man - I love movies, BUT, rarely get the chance to watch these days so its 99% music in terms of usage.

Sorry for the long post - THANK YOU for any suggestions anyone would love to throw at me :)
That requires more details. In particular if this is audio only, or AV. How big is the room and what are the speakers.

Lastly, you need to give a number to overly expensive, everyone here would put a different number after the dollar sign.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
The root cause here is that receivers are made on the cheap. They have a lot of amps crammed in around complex processing circuitry. Devices this complex should have a modular design, which would give people a good shot of having their units serviced in the event of failure. That is just one of the many reasons I use and strongly advise separates.
Back in the day (circa 2003 or so) I was dealing hifi audio, and I locked in an HT amp company who built fully modular amps, with each channel essentially being its own discrete circuit, front-to-back. Great sounding units, hell if I can remember the name; they were building their stuff in Hong Kong, but under strict supervision from one of the principals of the company. Serious bang for the buck in SS HT.

I always found it curious how some of these receiver companies justified their pricing, considering the fact that most don't even have discrete power circuits per channel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis