Marantz SR5012 Powers Off Almost Instantly after Starting

K

Kevin Brehm

Audiophyte
My Marantz 5012 had been working beautifully up until recently.

After turning on the power, it automatically shuts off after 3s or so.
No changes have been made to the components plugged in. I know that it's receiving a video signal because my streaming device briefly appears on the tv screen. The only other device I have connected is a DAC/Headphone amp.

• Eco-Mode is turned off.
  • It is set to 'Pure Direct'. I've selected the other modes simply to rule them out.
  • I've tried swapping out the receiver's power cable.
  • I've tried resetting the receiver back to factory defaults.

I love Marantz products, but I'm ready to nudge this one off the ledge of a second floor window.

Please help. Ideas to try?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems you've already taken the steps open to the consumer and they're not doing anything (particularly the soft and hard resets)....next up would be contacting a repair facility for diagnosis/repair, but may not be worth the expense.

K

Kevin Brehm

Audiophyte
Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. Thank you for your reply.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

No changes have been made to the components plugged in. I know that it's receiving a video signal because my streaming device briefly appears on the tv screen. The only other device I have connected is a DAC/Headphone amp.

• It is set to 'Pure Direct'. I've selected the other modes simply to rule them out.

I love Marantz products, but I'm ready to nudge this one off the ledge of a second floor window.

Did you verify your speaker connections? You may have a shorting connection with one speaker and that could be enough to have it shut off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you verify your speaker connections? You may have a shorting connection with one speaker and that could be enough to have it shut off.
Double checking all connections would be a good thing...thought the list had that but it doesn't....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Disconnect all the speakers, and see if it still shuts down. If not you have a fault in at least one speaker circuit. If it still shuts down, then it has a serious fault.
The most common reason is a failure of an output transistor, causing a short to ground of the HT rail. The next most likely is a regulator failure in the power supply.

This receiver I think is a 2017 model so I expect it is beyond the two year warranty period. I don't know if anyone other than Panurgy, who are apparently awful, handle repairs on these units.

I hate to have to say this, but the unit may not be worth the cost of repair.

The problem now is there are more amps thrown into receivers and this obviously increases the chances of failure.

If you have to replace the unit, I would strongly recommend separates. I believe that a pre/pro and external amps makes for a much more robust system.

K

Kevin Brehm

Audiophyte
Thank you for that detailed explanation. I disconnected all of the speakers, as you suggested. Unfortunately it's still shutting off.

Now I'm looking into getting the Cambridge Audio CXA81. Hopefully it will fare far better.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for that detailed explanation. I disconnected all of the speakers, as you suggested. Unfortunately it's still shutting off.

Now I'm looking into getting the Cambridge Audio CXA81. Hopefully it will fare far better.
That is a very different unit. It is an integrated audio amp and not an AV receiver. So it probably will be more durable as it contains less components, and so that statistically reduces the chance of failure.

Your AV receiver is far, far more complex and therefore there is far more chance of failure on a purely statistical basis. Marantz, do not make the components, beans as they are now known. Anyone of these can fail.

The root cause here is that receivers are made on the cheap. They have a lot of amps crammed in around complex processing circuitry. Devices this complex should have a modular design, which would give people a good shot of having their units serviced in the event of failure. That is just one of the many reasons I use and strongly advise separates.

If I bought a complex 11.2 channel receiver, I would expect it to blow up in the first week and would not be surprised if it did.

K

Kevin Brehm

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I bought the unit ‘factory reconditioned (which should have been a red flag) in 2018 for $699, so I feel like I got my money’s worth by using it daily for two years. It’s frustrating that I can’t swap out the power supply on my own like I can with a more modular home PC.

I currently have a DacMagic+ paired with Senheisser HD800s. It had been plugged into the SR5012. I have a dedicated home theater in another room, so I don’t need an AV receiver for this setup.

My plan is to sell the DacMagic Plus and upgrade to the CXA81, which has a better DAC chipset what I’ve read. Fewer components within the unit means that there will be fewer potential points of failure. I may add a subwoofer as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I bought the unit ‘factory reconditioned (which should have been a red flag) in 2018 for $699, so I feel like I got my money’s worth by using it daily for two years. It’s frustrating that I can’t swap out the power supply on my own like I can with a more modular home PC.

I currently have a DacMagic+ paired with Senheisser HD800s. It had been plugged into the SR5012. I have a dedicated home theater in another room, so I don’t need an AV receiver for this setup.

My plan is to sell the DacMagic Plus and upgrade to the CXA81, which has a better DAC chipset what I’ve read. Fewer components within the unit means that there will be fewer potential points of failure. I may add a subwoofer as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lots of people around here don't believe the benefits of using better DAC chips (in terms of the so called sound quality), but if you do as it seems.., then I would strongly suggest you go with external ones and get an integrated amp that do not have one build in. The issues I have with most lower range integrated amps including Cambridge's is that they don't use the higher end DAC chips and most also are limited in terms of digital formats they could play. As example, many are limited to 192/24 and DSD128.

There are many great choices at the below $300 range. Take a look of the long list ASR tested and pick one from the top 10, or even top 20 and it would beat the Cambridge's. There was even a <$20 dongle that out perform many integrated amp's.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Seems that I have a similiar problem with me 6-7 year old Marantz 7009. All of a sudden it stopped functioning by stating that there was a communication error and switched back to the tv speakers. Speaker wires have been disconnected, HDMI cable changed as well, but the reciever don't stay on long enough to do any setup or test of any kind. 3 seconds at most. I'm running it as a 7.2 with all Focal speakers. It seemed to be running a bit hot a few years back so I put a tablet fan on the top to keep iot cooler.Missin' my tunes. Any thoughts?

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
After switching back to tv speakers, the indicator light changes from solid to flashing red. Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seems that I have a similiar problem with me 6-7 year old Marantz 7009. All of a sudden it stopped functioning by stating that there was a communication error and switched back to the tv speakers. Speaker wires have been disconnected, HDMI cable changed as well, but the reciever don't stay on long enough to do any setup or test of any kind. 3 seconds at most. I'm running it as a 7.2 with all Focal speakers. It seemed to be running a bit hot a few years back so I put a tablet fan on the top to keep iot cooler.Missin' my tunes. Any thoughts?
It's done. New receiver time.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like a faulty power supply if you don’t have any cables touching together. Had the same thing happen with one of my receivers a few years back and it was the power supply. On the plus side, this week you can get some receivers on sale.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Xerith. Being in Thailand, forget about the sales. Shipping here costs more than product.
TLS...thanks for the recommendations, and sorrowfull news. Might try looking at finding a power suppply here. Loved the SR7009.

B

Bahtman

Junior Audioholic
Geez, searching power supplies, and replacing, recaping it's beyond my abilities. Looks like a daunting task. I figured it'd be like a pc....easy peasy..no such luck. Time to go shopping. :(

Thanks all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Xerith. Being in Thailand, forget about the sales. Shipping here costs more than product.
TLS...thanks for the recommendations, and sorrowfull news. Might try looking at finding a power suppply here. Loved the SR7009.
You don't know it is the power supply. The power supply is designed to shut down if there is excess current drain. By far the commonest cause of a receiver shutting down is a failed power transistor in one of the amps. When this happens it shorts the power rail to ground and shuts the receiver down.

Since you are in Thailand the cost of repair may be justified, in the US it would not be. I suspect in Thailand the unit cost is high and labor costs relatively lower.
Do not attempt a shot gun repair. You have to know why the receiver is shutting down before you replace anything. This will require professional help.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Geez, searching power supplies, and replacing, recaping it's beyond my abilities. Looks like a daunting task. I figured it'd be like a pc....easy peasy..no such luck. Time to go shopping. :(

Thanks all.
You definitely have a different issue than the OP's. His would shutdown completely on powering up after 3s, indicating he was having a fault that could be any one or more of the thermal overload, overcurrent, short circuit, or DC fault. If yours just switching back to the TV speakers and giving you a communication error message then you should try (unless you had already) a factory reset, with everything disconnected and go from there.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic

The only experience I had was with an old TEAC (yikes) receiver a long time ago. It was old at the time and would power off and give some sort of error code on the LCD (can't remember exactly). No matter what I tried I couldn't resolve it. In the end, the cost to ship/repair wasn't worth it so I moved on to a new unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis