Marantz MM8077 or Monolith 7x200

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Hey guys, what do you think between these 2 amps? Besides the power, any differences? It will go with a Marantz SR6014.

I'm able to get a used Monolith 7x200 for 1200. The Marantz MM8077 maybe for around 1500 new.

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
I dont know if this helps but it will power:
Klipsch RF-7 iii
Klipsch RC-64 iii
Klipsch RP-502s for surrounds
In-ceiling speakers for rears (no where to put bookshelf speakers)
I will most likely go with in-ceiling for atmos speakers.

I will go with a 5.1 setup for now but eventually a 7.2.4

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Receiver should Drive those Klipsch without a Problem

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
The Receiver should Drive those Klipsch without a Problem
My thinking was since I will end up using an amp to go 7.2.4, might as well use an amp on my floor speakers instead. The reason I was actually thinking about doing the amp now is because I found good deals on the amps. Im aiming around December to go 7.2.4

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Monolith has more power. The Marantz looks better. You choose.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hey guys, what do you think between these 2 amps? Besides the power, any differences? It will go with a Marantz SR6014.

I'm able to get a used Monolith 7x200 for 1200. The Marantz MM8077 maybe for around 1500 new.
Monolith 7x200. One of the best bang for buck amps on the market.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get the Monolith. Save some dough. Never worry about having enough power again.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont know if this helps but it will power:
Klipsch RF-7 iii
Klipsch RC-64 iii
Klipsch RP-502s for surrounds
In-ceiling speakers for rears (no where to put bookshelf speakers)
I will most likely go with in-ceiling for atmos speakers.

I will go with a 5.1 setup for now but eventually a 7.2.4
I would go with the Marantz. It is definitely less powerful, but the difference won't be any more than 1.5 dB or so. The RF-7III and RC-64III have good sensitivity, specs say 100 dB/99 dB so you should be able to count on 94/93 dB. The Marantz is much lighter and the look would match the receiver, and is brand new.:D

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I do like the brand new part but is that Marantz 150wpc two channels driven or all channels driven? I mean how much better is that going to be than your 6014 if just 2 channels driven?

I like the monolith as I kind of think if i’m going to get an amp i like to have 200wpc or maybe don't bother. But I’m sure either will perform their job quite well. Not sure how new the monolith is and that’s a challenge but you can decide if 1200 is enough a discount to be fine with the risk of used.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

Buy the Monolith for $1200 that's a steal. Then sell it to me for $1200 shipped cause you probably won't need it with those speakers. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
With those efficient speakers, I would buy this refurb 5 channel amp for $800:

A straight-up power amp is pretty simple, so I would not worry about it being reconditioned, but it has the same three year warranty as a new one, just in case.
5 channels plus your AVR gives you the 11 channels you are after with a couple of extra channels.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Monolith 7x200 vs MM8077 = 48lbs more or twice as much weight in the Monolith than the MM8077.

Marantz.jpg

monlith.png

Marantz MM8077 looks totally different than the tight Monolith 7x200 layout.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without details of your setup hard to know what amp is more appropriate but I'd generally go with the higher power amp as long as the price ratio works....I'd think the Monolith would be better in the long run.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Without details of your setup hard to know what amp is more appropriate but I'd generally go with the higher power amp as long as the price ratio works....I'd think the Monolith would be better in the long run.
Agreed... I doubt the Marantz provides 150 watts per channel with all 7 channels running. Look at the power consumption. At maximum load the amplifier draws 880 watts from the power supply, which may correspond to just under 100 watts per channel after you account for heat loss. It's still better than most receivers but probably only half the power offered by the Monolith 7x200 running all 7 channels. Maybe those extra 48 pounds actually do something? :p

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
The MM8077 S&V test results are pasted below. Likely ~ 108x7 AVR amps.

Marantz MM8077 Amplifier

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 128.4 watts
1% distortion at 150.3 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 113.9 watts
1% distortion at 125.4 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 108.9 watts
1% distortion at 116.8 watts

I have owned the previous, the 8 channel MM8003 amp that measured a similar 109x8. And yes, it did look purty next to my Marantz AV7702mkii prepro and UD7007 4K universal player on my glass A/V rack. Later, when I got a BDI enclosed rack, those cosmetics didn't matter anymore.

Marantz MM8003 Amplifier

All channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 109.7 watts
1% distortion at 122.3 watts

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis