ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Currently I am running my Macpro via USB to my Marantz SA8005. From there I have it connected to my Preamp via RCA.
It just doesn't sound that great to me. Seems kinda lifeless. When I throw in a CD it seems to me that the sound is clearer and more enjoyable.
Not sure if it's in my head or what. But a lot of my music is stored on my Mac and it seems this is the way I am headed when I sit down and listen. Any tips? Or maybe what I can change to. I do have a Chord MOJO at home but haven't found out how to connect it between the Mac and the preamp. Maybe I need a special cord.
Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Currently I am running my Macpro via USB to my Marantz SA8005. From there I have it connected to my Preamp via RCA.
It just doesn't sound that great to me. Seems kinda lifeless. When I throw in a CD it seems to me that the sound is clearer and more enjoyable.
Not sure if it's in my head or what. But a lot of my music is stored on my Mac and it seems this is the way I am headed when I sit down and listen. Any tips? Or maybe what I can change to. I do have a Chord MOJO at home but haven't found out how to connect it between the Mac and the preamp. Maybe I need a special cord.
Thanks
The Mojo is a better DAC than the SA8005 but the difference is most likely not audible. What kind of preamp are you using? I thought you have a PM8005 integrated amp, that would be a good one to use. For best sq out of the Mojo, use the USB input and analog output via a jack to rca cable.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Mojo is a better DAC than the SA8005 but the difference is most likely not audible. What kind of preamp are you using? I thought you have a PM8005 integrated amp, that would be a good one to use. For best sq out of the Mojo, use the USB input and analog output via a jack to rca cable.
I own the PM8004 but it's not what I am using in this System. I am currently running it through a Yamaha AS 1100.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Are the files you're listening to via the USB from your Macpro CD quality (16/44.1)? And (don't shoot me for saying this) are you using a decent USB cable? Perhaps the media player in the Macpro needs some settings tweaked (?)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Bandcamp most of the time.
I know nothing about that one. I use Foobar, JRiver, and iTune. As Joe alluded to, probably related to settings of your player. You can try iTune to quickly see if it makes a difference. Using the Mac you shouldn't need any special driver to play even dsd files. Since you are using the Asynchronous USB input of the SA8005, and analog output to the A-S1100 analog input, it should sound great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are the files you're listening to via the USB from your Macpro CD quality (16/44.1)? And (don't shoot me for saying this) are you using a decent USB cable? Perhaps the media player in the Macpro needs some settings tweaked (?)
You mean a USB cable that functions properly? Or some silly audiophilia? I did wonder if he was comparing same files, tho.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I know nothing about that one. I use Foobar, JRiver, and iTune. As Joe alluded to, probably related to settings of your player. You can try iTune to quickly see if it makes a difference. Using the Mac you shouldn't need any special driver to play even dsd files. Since you are using the Asynchronous USB input of the SA8005, and analog output to the A-S1100 analog input, it should sound great.
I will double check all of this as well as hook up the Mojo and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
You mean a USB cable that functions properly? Or some silly audiophilia? I did wonder if he was comparing same files, tho.
A shielded USB cable that functions properly. As Gene has stated, I believe interconnects should be shielded to protect/ensure signal integrity:

This is an old article that needed a refresh. For those wondering how much to budget on cables and what really matters, I put together this guide and supportive YouTube video to help you out.

As a rule of thumb, we recommend spending as little as you can to get the job done right, but no more than 5-7% of your total system cost into cables and interconnects, with the following priorities:
  • HDMI and Component Video Interconnects (Cat 1 or Cat 2 certified for HDMI, 75 ohm shielded coax for Component video).
  • Speaker Cables ( Low DC resistance and inductance, short runs when possible, 12 AWG or lower resistance).
  • Analog interconnects (75 ohm shielded coax or low capacitance, twisted pair for unbalanced, braided shielded XLR for balanced).
  • Digital Interconnects (75 ohm shielded coax preferred, or toslink for short runs).
  • Power Cords (match same gauge and shielding as OEM).
View attachment 28047
Read: Cable Budget Guidelines
I also believe that if you invest in any type of power conditioning, it would be foolish not to use shielded power cables down stream of the conditioner.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I agree. The CS4398 at the heart of the DAC section in your Marantz is high grade. I have a Marantz HD DAC-1 with this chip, and I hear NO difference from playing CD's vs 16/44 FLAC files through it. And Marantz protects the USB input to ensure low noise, so I would think the issue is not in your SA8005.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have purchased the music off Bandcamp and downloaded a higher quality file. I’ll find out what file it is.
Even if the file types are the same, are they the same recordings on the cd?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not a cable magic believer, but there a lots of USB cables in the wild that are pure crap!

Yeah, a cable needs to be the proper AWG for the application, make a good secure mechanical and electrical connection, and maybe be shielded depending on the application/signal type and the ambient environment.

Once these criteria are met (i.e. the cable is "good enough"), anything extra on a cable is simply a waste of resources.

And, I have seen my fair share of USBs that don't meet this criteria, seems to me that USB tends to be the least likely to be reliable cable.

And, with all of that being said, USB connection is my absolute LAST choice for any connection, and goes double for audio, and triple at my job!

@ematthews how long is your USB cable? A USB cable should never exceed 6 feet in length. Otherwise you are asking for problems.

To be very accurate precise on cable lengths for USB, it is defined as part of the USB protocol:

Main article: USB hardware § Cabling

The USB 1.1 standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) with devices operating at full speed (12 Mbit/s), and a maximum length of 3 meters (9 ft 10 in) with devices operating at low speed (1.5 Mbit/s).[74][75][76]

USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) for devices running at high speed (480 Mbit/s).[76]

The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9 ft 10 in).
[77]

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have purchased the music off Bandcamp and downloaded a higher quality file. I’ll find out what file it is.
Look in the Marantz menu's Audio section for Restorer. Use the level that works best. Not all files sound good and this function is to remedy that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not a cable magic believer, but there a lots of USB cables in the wild that are pure crap!

Yeah, a cable needs to be the proper AWG for the application, make a good secure mechanical and electrical connection, and maybe be shielded depending on the application/signal type and the ambient environment.

Once these criteria are met (i.e. the cable is "good enough"), anything extra on a cable is simply a waste of resources.

And, I have seen my fair share of USBs that don't meet this criteria, seems to me that USB tends to be the least likely to be reliable cable.

And, with all of that being said, USB connection is my absolute LAST choice for any connection, and goes double for audio, and triple at my job!

@ematthews how long is your USB cable? A USB cable should never exceed 6 feet in length. Otherwise you are asking for problems.

To be very accurate precise on cable lengths for USB, it is defined as part of the USB protocol:

Main article: USB hardware § Cabling

The USB 1.1 standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) with devices operating at full speed (12 Mbit/s), and a maximum length of 3 meters (9 ft 10 in) with devices operating at low speed (1.5 Mbit/s).[74][75][76]

USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) for devices running at high speed (480 Mbit/s).[76]

The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9 ft 10 in).[77]
Interesting, but I also did a little research into typical USB cables and came up with similar. I don't use USB for audio in any case, mostly about connecting a phone to my computer or computer to printer and scanner....and charging phones. How about those shielded power cables after a conditioner? :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting, but I also did a little research into typical USB cables and came up with similar. I don't use USB for audio in any case, mostly about connecting a phone to my computer or computer to printer and scanner....and charging phones. How about those shielded power cables after a conditioner? :)
I guess I haven't seen a shielded power cable, what the heck are they trying to shield it from, an emp? or do they advertise it to contain stray interference within the power cable?

I could see how maybe some medical equipment like an MRI may make sense, maybe

I can't even estimate the countless hours I have wasted on poor usb cables and unreliable usb connections. At least most of my wasted time was on the clock at work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis