lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess I haven't seen a shielded power cable, what the heck are they trying to shield it from, an emp? or do they advertise it to contain stray interference within the power cable?

I could see how maybe some medical equipment like an MRI may make sense, maybe

I can't even estimate the countless hours I have wasted on poor usb cables and unreliable usb connections. At least most of my wasted time was on the clock at work.
Dunno about power conditioners let alone shielded power cables having any benefit, but that's Joe's position....

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Dunno about power conditioners let alone shielded power cables having any benefit, but that's Joe's position....
If you don't know anything about power conditioners, this video will give you a basic introduction as to what they do:

These two guys also seem to think there's nothing wrong with using them in your system:

Eliminating RFI and EMI from the mains provides 'cleaner' power to the devices plugged into them. Whether or not you believe this can make an audible difference in sound or a visual difference in video should be questioned. Actual experience may answer the question for you.

Let's say you've experienced this and believe they are worthwhile devices. This is where shielding power cables comes into the equation. If you've eliminated most of the noise off of the mains, why would you allow any RFI to be reintroduced back into the power between the conditioner and the equipment. Again, does this make an audible or visual difference? My point earlier in the thread: "I also believe that if you invest in any type of power conditioning, it would be foolish not to use shielded power cables down stream of the conditioner" was simply putting forth what appears to be a logical decision to ensure clean power all the way to the equipment.

I'm surprised you "Dunno about power conditioners..." I became aware of their existence when I first wanted to buy high quality, non-disposable surge protection; not trusting a $10 power strip to keep my equipment safe. I found them advertised at virtually every site selling equipment and every brick and mortar store I visited.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't know anything about power conditioners, this video will give you a basic introduction as to what they do:

These two guys also seem to think there's nothing wrong with using them in your system:

Eliminating RFI and EMI from the mains provides 'cleaner' power to the devices plugged into them. Whether or not you believe this can make an audible difference in sound or a visual difference in video should be questioned. Actual experience may answer the question for you.

Let's say you've experienced this and believe they are worthwhile devices. This is where shielding power cables comes into the equation. If you've eliminated most of the noise off of the mains, why would you allow any RFI to be reintroduced back into the power between the conditioner and the equipment. Again, does this make an audible or visual difference? My point earlier in the thread: "I also believe that if you invest in any type of power conditioning, it would be foolish not to use shielded power cables down stream of the conditioner" was simply putting forth what appears to be a logical decision to ensure clean power all the way to the equipment.

I'm surprised you "Dunno about power conditioners..." I became aware of their existence when I first wanted to buy high quality, non-disposable surge protection; not trusting a $10 power strip to keep my equipment safe. I found them advertised at virtually every site selling equipment and every brick and mortar store I visited.
Because its largely bullshit and of course the guys selling them have their arguments for it. Never used one, have always had good power (and have gear that can deal with the miscellaneous variations). Sounds like the general stupidity about cabling in general, which you also seem to subscribe to. YMMV.

Last edited:
Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Because its largely bullshit and of course the guys selling them have their arguments for it. Never used one, have always had good power (and have gear that can deal with the miscellaneous variations). Sounds like the general stupidity about cabling in general, which you also seem to subscribe to. YMMV.
"Because its largely bullshit.....Never used one......Sounds like general stupidity....."

Who can argue with that! o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Because its largely bullshit.....Never used one......Sounds like general stupidity....."

Who can argue with that! o_O
Apparently you can't. Do you know how electrical signals in home audio systems work in general? What is it about power supply filtering you find insufficient?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently you can't. Do you know how electrical signals in home audio systems work in general? What is it about power supply filtering you find insufficient?
Right.

AC signal from the mains to the primary of a transformer, secondary of the transformer to rectifier diodes, rectifier diodes to filter caps, with some AC ripple on the output.

You would need some seriously dirty mains power for a power conditioner to make sense, and be ready to spend some big $ for a real power conditioner that has it's own regenerative AC waveform.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am in general agreement with slippery and HD but I also agree with Joe. I really don't think you guys are more or less saying the same thing, if we read carefully between the lines. Joe never said or implied we all need such conditioners either. Some do, some don't, and those who do, should choose wisely.;)

Last edited:
Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I am in general agreement with slippery and HD but I also agree with Joe. I really don't think you guys are more or less saying the same thing, if we read carefully between the line. Joe never said or implied we all need such conditioners either. Some do, some don't, and those who do, should choose wisely.;)
A+ for reading comprehension skills!

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, but note that I found an error and had to edit the 2nd sentence in my post. Now you are welcome to rescind the A+ grade.:D
Not at all. I didn't catch it either!;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis