Marantz Cinema 50 + JBL Studio 600 speakers - A good combination?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

I am planning for Marantz Cinema 50. How reliable are its internal parts considering this expensive amp comes with just 1 year warranty in India? I live in a city where climate is Hot & warm air flows by during Summer.

I’ve heard Marantz undergo a very strict quality checks such that it doesn’t go faulty for years to come. It’s success ratio is 95%.

Also does it overheat under normal fan speed with no air conditioner in the living room?

Or shall I consider purchasing an Amp Cooler such as one from AC Infiniti?

I have JBL 630 Bookshelf for Front Left & Right, JBL 625C for Center channel & JBL 660P Sub. Do you feel Marantz Cinema 50 will be a good choice or Denon AVC-X3800H - 9.4 Channel 8K AV Receiver?

The seating distance between my TV & Sofa is of 11 to 12 feet.

And I am planning to buy a ProfiGold brand 8K HDMI Cable for eArc to receive best quality audio from my Sony A80L over an HDMI connection to the amp. And a speaker cable for surround speakers. Kindly refer to the attached pictures to know more details about this Audio & HDMI cable.

For surrounds, I am considering Emotiva Airmotiv XA2 Height / Surround / Ceiling / Reflective Speakers (Pair) - https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-xa2-pair-height-surround-ceiling-speaker

…and for Front Heights - Emotiva Airmotiv A1 - Atmos Height Speaker to feel the Atmos effects though an audio dealer told me that to feel the complete Atmos effects, I need 9 to 11 speakers all over the room.

How good is SVS brand when it comes to Surrounds & Atmos vs Emotiva Speakers?

Regards,
Mr. Apoorva Sheth

Attachments

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello All,

I am planning for Marantz Cinema 50. How reliable are its internal parts considering this expensive amp comes with just 1 year warranty in India? I live in a city where climate is Hot & warm air flows by during Summer.

I’ve heard Marantz undergo a very strict quality checks such that it doesn’t go faulty for years to come. It’s success ratio is 95%.

Also does it overheat under normal fan speed with no air conditioner in the living room?

Or shall I consider purchasing an Amp Cooler such as one from AC Infiniti?

It is not necessary to spend more than $30 on a "cooler", if you feel that you need one unless you have specific reasons.

An example of a cheaper one, but a little louder:
Amazon.com: AC Infinity MULTIFAN S3-P, Quiet 120mm AC-Powered Fan with Speed Control, UL-Certified for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Component Cooling : Industrial & Scientific

Cheap, and ultra quiet:

Amazon.com: Noctua NF-S12B redux-700, Ultra Quiet Silent Fan, 3-Pin, 700 RPM (120mm, Grey) : Electronics

The one I have been using:

Amazon.com: Noctua NF-S12A ULN, Ultra Quiet Silent Fan, 3-Pin (120mm, Brown) : Electronics

I have JBL 630 Bookshelf for Front Left & Right, JBL 625C for Center channel & JBL 660P Sub. Do you feel Marantz Cinema 50 will be a good choice or Denon AVC-X3800H - 9.4 Channel 8K AV Receiver?

The seating distance between my TV & Sofa is of 11 to 12 feet.
It all depends how loud you listen to, for example, if you listen to levels at less than half of that in a movie cinema, those AVRs could do the job, louder than that, I would suggest you purchase a 3 channel external power amp rated 200 W 8 Ohms, 300 W 4 Ohms, you don't need external power amp to power the surround and height channels unless those speaker are as far away as the LCR that are 11 to 12 feet, and have low sensitivity as well.

Those JBL speakers are not easy to drive, but then they are rated for 150 W maximum, so even if you need 1,000W amp there is no point getting anything rated more than the 200/300 8/4 ohms that I am suggesting.

About the Cinema 50 versus AVR-X3800H, my usual response to this frequenty asked question (I know you didn't ask but I'd answer it regardless just in case) is:
- If you can get the Marantz for the same or just slightly higher price then go for it, assuming you also like it's look better.
- If in your area, you have pay a lot more for Marantz, and you don't mind the look of the Denon, then don't waste money, just get the much cheaper Denon, the often talked about better Marantz sound are just forum talks/hearsay, no one has ever done proper blind comparison listening tests on them, and they did, they would not be able to tell the differences, let alone sounding better.

For surrounds, I am considering Emotiva Airmotiv XA2 Height / Surround / Ceiling / Reflective Speakers (Pair) - https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-xa2-pair-height-surround-ceiling-speaker
https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-xa2-pair-height-surround-ceiling-speaker

I would suggest you use the AVR's amps to drive them and see what happens, unless you listen loud and the distances are also as far as 12 ft, 6 ft would likely be fine.

How good is SVS brand when it comes to Surrounds & Atmos vs Emotiva Speakers?
Hard to say, based on available reviews with measurements, I trust SVS speakers, you could do a search for measurement results of those Emotiva speakers on Audioholics.com and Audioscienereview.com.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
I am quite confused between Marantz Cinema 50/60 & Denon AVC-X3800H - 9.4 Channel 8K AV Receiver or AVR-X2800H 7.2 Ch. 150W 8K AV Receiver.

Budget is always thing for everyone so if I save some money by making the wise & right choice, I can utilize the same in buying a pair of extra speakers.

Marantz Cinema looks so good compared to Denon X3800H & X2800H - same as my present Yamaha RX-V685 so unable to make any choice but not as good as the Arcams.

Don't know why Marantz is so pricey when its own competing product (since both are from Sound United) Denon X3800H & X2800H offer excellent sound quality & features as I've heard of.

I have a taste for both Music & Movies. But, I want sound to be sweetest & not sharp at all like Klipsch or create fatigue after listening from 30mins to an hour.

I want to feel detailed sound clarity for all Hindi movies & songs right from the 60s to present.

I want to feel the fear within in a horror movie & involved in an action scene.

I was also thinking that I shall move these pair of JBL 630 Bookshelf to surround & buy a premium for the fronts while the Front Heights will be Emotiva.

Very confused now.

The Front heights will be far away from my listening position, about 12 feet distance.

Aren't Emotiva's Airmotiv XA2 Height / Surround / Ceiling / Reflective Speakers (Pair) be loud enough for the Atmos sound effects to reach my ears?

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am quite confused between Marantz Cinema 50/60 & Denon AVC-X3800H - 9.4 Channel 8K AV Receiver or AVR-X2800H 7.2 Ch. 150W 8K AV Receiver.

Budget is always thing for everyone so if I save some money by making the wise & right choice, I can utilize the same in buying a pair of extra speakers.

Marantz Cinema looks so good compared to Denon X3800H & X2800H - same as my present Yamaha RX-V685 so unable to make any choice but not as good as the Arcams.

Don't know why Marantz is so pricey when its own competing product (since both are from Sound United) Denon X3800H & X2800H offer excellent sound quality & features as I've heard of.

I have a taste for both Music & Movies. But, I want sound to be sweetest & not sharp at all like Klipsch or create fatigue after listening from 30mins to an hour.

I want to feel detailed sound clarity for all Hindi movies & songs right from the 60s to present.

I was also thinking that I shall move these pair of JBL 630 Bookshelf to surround & buy a premium for the fronts while the Front Heights will be Emotiva.

Very confused now.

The Front heights will be far away from my listening position, about 12 feet distance.

Aren't Emotiva's Airmotiv XA2 Height / Surround / Ceiling / Reflective Speakers (Pair) be loud enough for the Atmos sound effects to reach my ears?
This is a good site to compare feature set differences among avrs zkelectronics.com

The particular avr won't dictate how you feel about things, but higher sensitivity speakers might and spending less on a Denon than the very similar Marantz could be a good start, too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Two main reasons:

1) Marantz has to recoup the cost of the extra buffer stage they call "HDAMs", that are basically there to give their followers a reason to believe in them having a "signature" sound. That is a forum/hearsay myth over the years, there is no logic in believing their claims if one simply view the audio block diagram (people posted many times, I did too) and do a bottleneck analysis mentally, it's all science based opinion that me and I believe any competent EE will adopt. Also have to recoup the cost of using gold plated RCA connectors, larger case and the more artistic design, and the higher per unit cost due to the much smaller sales volume (economy of scale).

2) Their marketing somehow might have figured out that people in the USA and Canada are more easily led to believe Marantz has their warm/musical signature sound, and people in Asia and Europe might be more technically oriented and inclined to filter out some of those hypes.

2) above seems to be the main reason for the Marantz over Denon premiums to be much less significant, say comparing the Cinema 50 to AVR-X3800H, the price premium was more like between 0 (Singapore, at least at one point, and Euro 250 in Europe such as France whereas in the US in would be more like $700-$800, or $1,000-$1,100 in Canada

Such characteristics are mainly of speakers, not mid range AVRs that are typically transparent enough to not giving you the fatigue you might experienced with entry level devices especially if used beyond their rated outputs.

As long as your AVR is operating well below it's rated output, you will be fine.

Very confused now.
About what?

The Front heights will be far away from my listening position, about 12 feet distance. Aren't Emotiva's Airmotiv XA2 Height / Surround / Ceiling / Reflective Speakers (Pair) be loud enough for the Atmos sound effects to reach my ears?
Again, it is important to understand that "loud enough" or not depends on:

a) Your "taste" as you mentioned, you have your own taste, in terms of how loud you typically listen to when watching movies and listening to music.
b) The specifications of your speakers, for the Airmotiv XA2, the specs are:

From Emotiva website:
  • Efficiency: 86 dB (2.83V/1m).
  • Power handling: 80W continuous / 150W peak
  • Recommended amplifier power: 40W or more
  • Nominal impedance: 4-ohms, safe with amplifiers rated for 8-ohm loads
Note that Emotiva calls it "efficiency", that is not the right term, it should be "sensitivity".
Manufacturers rarely provide the "efficiency spec" as that spec is not typically useful for the consumers.
Based on the specs, those speakers may or may not be loud enough for you but in this case it is largely dependent on your "taste", that is, how loud do you listen to, if you want it to be as loud as what you would hear in movie cinema then the answer is no, if you are okay with say half as loud, then I would say likely "yes". More power than the AVR can offer will not help, but better/larger speakers will...

I thought we posted an online calculator for you to find out your need based on the above factors:

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)
Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers | English

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis