Marantz Cinema 50 + JBL Studio 600 speakers - A good combination?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
The 1.5 mm wire roughly equates to our 16AWG. How long a speaker cable run is it? This chart is in AWG but gives you something to go by, and is from this excellent site on the subject of speaker cables generally. http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable so likely what you have is just fine.

nm I misread. You're talking more about a power cord (which doesn't have audio qualities)....and what's in your wall. You have 1.5 mm in your wall? Your wall sockets have an amp setting switch you can change? Still, a 3.5mm cord (about 12AWG) would be more than sufficient for the avrs being considered.
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I was talking about the electrical wire, the one that passes electric current to the wall socket switch of 5 or 16 Amps. I got the switch changed from 5 Amps to 16Amps but I guess that’s just not enough.

The recommendation given to me was to use either 2.5MM or 4MM electric wire to receive much better performance.

The only problem is how will I now pass electric wire from behind the wall all the way from the ELCB to this 16 Amps wall socket switch b’coz the electrician’s suggestion was that he will temporarily take down Fan & that ceiling Lights & pass electric wire all the way towards the tubelight & then finally down towards the wall socket. The main problem here is that chances are we might need to take this SONY TV off the wall temporarily which I do not want to happened as I don’t want to take any risk of now moving this big sized TV from its original position & get it damaged.

Regards,
Apoorva.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here in US normal 120VAC wall sockets are generally rated to 15A and not switchable....to get a 20A socket would take specific in-wall wiring and breaker box. Here in US an avr may need to draw more than 5A at times is possible but most of the time doubt that's even needed. What is the basic electrical service you have there?

I may have used two different charts trying to convert to AWG....but is your 1.5/2.5 mm wire mentioned an area measurement or a diameter?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Here in US normal 120VAC wall sockets are generally rated to 15A and not switchable....to get a 20A socket would take specific in-wall wiring and breaker box. Here in US an avr may need to draw more than 5A at times is possible but most of the time doubt that's even needed. What is the basic electrical service you have there?

I may have used two different charts trying to convert to AWG....but is your 1.5/2.5 mm wire mentioned an area measurement or a diameter?
Thanks for your reply.

1.5MM or 2.5MM is thickness of electric wire.

Regards,
Apoorva.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply.

1.5MM or 2.5MM is thickness of electric wire.

Regards,
Apoorva.
Pictures of your power strip/plugs don't tell me much other than they are different than we use. What country are you in? FWIW this chart covers it both by diameter and area for conversion to AWG.

wire conversion chart.jpg

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Pictures of your power strip/plugs don't tell me much other than they are different than we use. What country are you in? FWIW this chart covers it both by diameter and area for conversion to AWG.

View attachment 68405
Hello, apologies for the late response. I am from India.

I am receiving a mix of opinion. The service center guy from Marantz said if there is a load of electricity in my house then, I need to switch over 1.5MM to 2.5MM or even better 4MM. He said products like Microwave, Iron, Refrigerator, Geyser, Air Conditioning, etc...these all require 2.5MM or above electric wire but in Marantz Cinema 50, the Transformer won't allow the Ampere to go beyond 6 to 7 Amps load so I can confidently get the best performance even on 1.5MM.

Also, in general, I won't be playing beyond 5 to 6 hours & till that much time, this Marantz Cinema 50 will be able to handle the load properly is what I personally feel. Is that correct?

Actually, I don't mind getting a new 2.5MM electric cable being pulled all the way from ELCB to the switch socket. Its overall cost is not the matter over here. The major challenge is that there comes my newly purchased SONY OLED in the way & the electrician whom I consulted is of an opinion that there might be 3 to 5% of the chances that, I might need to bring down this TV from the wall & that involves, risk, high risk. Just one mistake of taking it off & the warranty void & big loss for me. I am very afraid on this part.

That's why, if there is "No need" then, I want to avoid replacing the 1.5MM electric cable to 2.5MM just b'coz of this SONY OLED in between.

Regards,
Apoorva.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello, apologies for the late response. I am from India.

I am receiving a mix of opinion. The service center guy from Marantz said if there is a load of electricity in my house then, I need to switch over 1.5MM to 2.5MM or even better 4MM. He said products like Microwave, Iron, Refrigerator, Geyser, Air Conditioning, etc...these all require 2.5MM or above electric wire but in Marantz Cinema 50, the Transformer won't allow the Ampere to go beyond 6 to 7 Amps load so I can confidently get the best performance even on 1.5MM.

Also, in general, I won't be playing beyond 5 to 6 hours & till that much time, this Marantz Cinema 50 will be able to handle the load properly is what I personally feel. Is that correct?

Actually, I don't mind getting a new 2.5MM electric cable being pulled all the way from ELCB to the switch socket. Its overall cost is not the matter over here. The major challenge is that there comes my newly purchased SONY OLED in the way & the electrician whom I consulted is of an opinion that there might be 3 to 5% of the chances that, I might need to bring down this TV from the wall & that involves, risk, high risk. Just one mistake of taking it off & the warranty void & big loss for me. I am very afraid on this part.

That's why, if there is "No need" then, I want to avoid replacing the 1.5MM electric cable to 2.5MM just b'coz of this SONY OLED in between.

Regards,
Apoorva.
I lost track, can you summarize what is your question? Are you concerned about the size of the cable between your incoming switch box to the 220 V outlet? If so, it must have met the regulatory requirements in your country/area, so what really is the concern?

the Transformer won't allow the Ampere to go beyond 6 to 7 Amps load so I can confidently get the best performance even on 1.5MM.
Unless that is taken out of context, it makes no sense, is the service center gentleman a qualified technician/engineer? It really makes no sense.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis