Marantz AVR dropping signal

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for your suggestions, Sterling! If you think of anything else...

Troubleshooting this is a lot like when I built a PC many moons ago. ;) And now everything is Apple.

If I find it's Apple breaking my music, I'm driving to Cupertino and peeing on Tim Cook's hubcaps.:p (Na, there's better things I can do with my life than that.)
I have had a few problems with iTunes, like opening it up and attempting to click "For You" and not getting an action. Since I have two laptops, I just see if the problem is isolated, or on both computers. When problem is on both I know its a glitch at iTunes, usually solved in a day or two if enough folks call in to cancel their Apple Music subscriptions. One more thing, I bought a 43 inch Sony Smart TV back in December. The thing overloaded with my daily YouTube excursions, just shutting down everyday. My solution was to reboot but that did not work. One day I though I'd pull the AC plug to see if such action would reset, restore, allow, or what ever to be able to continuously watch YouTube. That action did indeed work and now all is well. Thing is, there was no mention of disconnecting AC power in any trouble-shooting guides I searched through to find a solution. At any rate, I feel your pain. I know you will figure it out.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... update:
The audio drop out has repeated over ethernet, with routers set to DHCP or to Static (a possible solution the Lady found online). I have a video of this to share with Marantz when I call back.

And it has occurred, again, going line-direct to the Aux1 jacks on the front of the unit, using the last-gen Classic iPod (non-streaming). I am currently trying to capture a video of this, again so I can share with Marantz.

Along with my next step being additional network related solutions for the possibility of an issue there, I will also switch audio cables from the iPod (just to rule out a potential flaw in the cable), and I will switch to a different set of analog inputs on the back of the AVR and see if it replicates there.

That's where I'm at.

Cheers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Revisiting after going through as many tests as I and the lady could think of.

Test 1: 2.4 GHz network WiFi streaming from iTunes/Apple Music: Audio cut out as described originally [hereafter: Audio Cuts]
Test 2: direct Ethernet connection to Airport streaming from iTunes/Apple Music: Audio Cuts
Test 3: resetting all devices and repeating 1, 2: Audio Cuts
Test 4: changing Airports from DHCP to Static: Audio Cuts
Test 5: Watching streaming TV over Sling on same WiFi network, HDMI output/ARC: PASS
Test 6: Classic iPod1/8" jack to Stereo RCA, Aux 1 input: Audio Cuts
Test 7: Same as 6, new cord: Audio cuts
Test 8: Classic iPod, new cord, into CD input back of AVR: Audio Cuts
Test 9: PS4 streaming Spotify on same WiFi network, HDMI: PASS
Test 10: iPhone streaming Pandora, Airplay direct to AVR: Audio Cuts

It does not appear to be my network, but potentially Apple devices? It strikes me a bit strange that the iPod Classic would experience the same problem as it is effectively just outputting a straight analog signal, right?

Any Suggestions? :)

Thanks everybody!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It only took an extra 3 weeks, but I finally got a new shipping box and the AVR is on its way back to the service center.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've always found it better to keep the box just in case.
Oh, I got it. The box. But that thing took a beating on the previous journey. Styrofoam wasn't holding together and somebody was trying to adjust the volume knob in transit! Probably came within 5mm of killing the unit.

Might have made this situation a whole lot easier to deal with.

If they can figure it out. cool. I'll be happy. I like the way it sounds. If they can't, perhaps they send me a new unit. I might ask if they'll credit me towards an upgrade for the 7705... they'll make some extra money off of me, and I can go separates. ;) We'll see.

Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I got it. The box. But that thing took a beating on the previous journey. Styrofoam wasn't holding together and somebody was trying to adjust the volume knob in transit! Probably came within 5mm of killing the unit.

Might have made this situation a whole lot easier to deal with.

If they can figure it out. cool. I'll be happy. I like the way it sounds. If they can't, perhaps they send me a new unit. I might ask if they'll credit me towards an upgrade for the 7705... they'll make some extra money off of me, and I can go separates. ;) We'll see.

Cheers!
Yeah in that case keeping the box not such a great option. :) Good luck!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah in that case keeping the box not such a great option. :) Good luck!
Thanks, Lovin!
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and that we're not polluting your little corner with all our smoke. Very grateful our spot here is safe right now. So scary when you look at Paradise and Malibu!

Safety and protection to all!

Cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Lovin!
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and that we're not polluting your little corner with all our smoke. Very grateful our spot here is safe right now. So scary when you look at Paradise and Malibu!

Safety and protection to all!

Cheers
No smoke....so far. Shoutout to @NorCalRP who is working the Camp Fire. My brother's been evacuated for the Woolsey Fire. Just hope the winds die off to help out.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If anybody out there is still listening... here now in my second warranty service, and over two weeks with my Marantz out of the house (10 days +shipping the first time around)...

The Technician called and said she finally heard the problem occur! Swapped out the digital processing board for a different one she had in house, and says it seems to be working now. Going to order a new board from Marantz to actually complete the repair, so maybe two more weeks... *fingers crossed

I know I said it before, but thank you to all for your suggestions and input! Greatly appreciated!

With a little luck, I'll have my subs from Outlaw and my Philharmonic order all arriving within a week or so from when I get my receiver back. :) And with a little more luck, the tech actually solved my dealio!

Cheers!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
A word about boxes. I purchased a pair of Sony PCM-7010F's direct from Sony. These each weigh 58 pounds. They each cost me $7200. Sony shipped them in their standard box. Unpacking the units, I discovered one box had been dropped somewhere in shipment, which damaged the unit. I sent it back to Sony to be replaced. Sony replaced it and the unit was shipped out to me. Again the unit was damaged. Turns out, these units were shipped Federal Express Air, not ground, and somewhere the unit was dropped from a conveyor to another, which apparently was more than the shipping box could take. Sony sent a third unit to me by ground and all was well. The moral of this story, when shipping stuff back to the manufacturer for repair, double box it and send it ground service. Also, demand that the unit be sent back to you by ground service.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I learned my lesson about keeping boxes. My old Marantz 7002 needed a firmware update which required sending it in for repair. I didnt have the original box so I make shifted something. By the time it reached the repair center it had a pretty nasty dent in the back of the receiver, but still functioned. The repair center sent me pics and said it still worked fine, so they upgraded the firmware and sent it back. The receiver still works and is currently running my living room setup.

Now a days, all boxes go up into the attic for "just in case".

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The original box took a proper beating on the first warranty call. got new box and foam from marantz for this one. the service center is in CA and uses ground both ways from Orange County to North Bay area. * fingers crossed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A word about boxes. I purchased a pair of Sony PCM-7010F's direct from Sony. These each weigh 58 pounds. They each cost me $7200. Sony shipped them in their standard box. Unpacking the units, I discovered one box had been dropped somewhere in shipment, which damaged the unit. I sent it back to Sony to be replaced. Sony replaced it and the unit was shipped out to me. Again the unit was damaged. Turns out, these units were shipped Federal Express Air, not ground, and somewhere the unit was dropped from a conveyor to another, which apparently was more than the shipping box could take. Sony sent a third unit to me by ground and all was well. The moral of this story, when shipping stuff back to the manufacturer for repair, double box it and send it ground service. Also, demand that the unit be sent back to you by ground service.
Having been in the freight biz most of my life, this is not much of a solution to go ground vs air. Ground often is handled more than air....and proper packing is definitely in order. Some manufacturing packaging is suitable for containerloads but not individual box transportation....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Having been in the freight biz most of my life, this is not much of a solution to go ground vs air. Ground often is handled more than air....and proper packing is definitely in order. Some manufacturing packaging is suitable for containerloads but not individual box transportation....
The story of my little SR6012:
After being born in Vietnam, and making the container trip to the US... to who only knows which port... and then broken down and distributed to whichever regional warehousing facility... it ended up in the posession of IQ Home Entertainment in Faifax Virginia. My guess, at this point, it was always transported on pallets via ground freight with a few of its own family members... maybe some brother or sister 6012s, some cousins like a 7012 or even an 8012...
And then one day July 7, 2018, it was selected to be shipped away with 5 other boxes. It was labeled individually and put on a big brown truck and sent into the world for a trip to Eaton PA. On July 11, 2018, it was picked up again, and labeled for another trip... to its forever home in Sonoma County CA, where it arrived and was unceremoniously dropped on the front porch on July 13.

At this point, the box was in good shape, but the Styrofoam was a little worn. Had a few cracks, but nothing too concerning. When I had to ship it out via FedEx Ground call tag, I put a little packing tape around the small fractures, and some bubble wrap around in the empty places, and sent it off to Orange County. None of the bubble wrap was sent back from that first warranty call, the foam was wrecked, and there was a hole in the box that came within 1/2 cm of tagging the volume knob.

When I had to send it out again, they sent me another FedEx Ground call tag, and a new box. The new box had some nice black foam that had perforations to tear out the appropriate shape for the receiver. I was unhappy with some of it, and using Gorilla Glue, made a little bit of a tighter fit for the receiver in the foam.

Only time will tell what happens on what I hope is its grand homecoming in a couple weeks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
New digital board arrived and is installed. The tech is testing it out and said she'll follow up soon!
*fingers crossed

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Its on its way back home! After testing with the new Digital Board, the Tech said she could not replicate the issue any longer, AND said that the unit was operating cooler than before. Not so concerned overall with the temperature, she hadn't mentioned that to me previously, but after testing the new board she did notice it was much cooler. *fingers still crossed, and getting a little cramp... sure hope this is it! ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis