Marantz av7705 or av8805?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On THD+N, ASR pretty much always provide both % and dB, in dB that is SINAD = 1/(THD+N in %) and expressed in dB, i.e. logarithmic. S&V typically won't give you the output voltage, rendering the number much less meaningful. AH and ASR both typically would specify the output voltage.

Crosstalk: True, he has not been consistent and I think that is because he doesn't think it would be an issue. If he suspect it could be an issue for the dut, I trust he would do it. Obviously we would want him to always do it..

SNR: Gene's would sometimes do it for A weighted (e.g. CX-A5200) and sometimes unweighted (AVR-X3300H). ASR typically measured SNR "unweighted".
The nexus is consistency.

Even if it's not the most absolute "meaningful" measurement, if they can measure 200 components using the same criteria/method, it's easier to compare (at least for most non-technical people).

CX-A5100:
Response from multichannel input to main output: –0.04 dB @ 10 Hz, –0.01 dB @ 20 Hz, –0.02 dB @ 20 kHz, –0.09 dB @ 50 kHz. Analog THD+N: less than 0.008% at 1 kHz w 100-millivolt input and volume control set to –3. Crosstalk w 100-mV input: –93.82 dB left to right, –94.21 dB right to left. Signal-to-noise ratio w “A” weighting: –130.92 dBrA.—MJP

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bro you up from your nap? Guys we gotta keep Andrew from falling asleep in his office. He ate a big Lunch at work today!
You and PENG woke me up. :D

Well, it's almost time to go home. That's why I'm really up. :D

S

ssmaudio

Audioholic Intern
I don’t have a particular opinion on the Marantz vs Yamaha etc. argument. However, I used to have a Yamaha RX-A880 and needed a receiver that 1) has multi channel line inputs so that I can connect a DAC (specifically the Exasound e38) and play stream multi ch music on my server; and 2) didn’t do further processing on the signal path from the dac output to the speaker. I found that Marantz receivers are one of the very few that still have support for this.

So if you fall in this category, or think you might at some point, I’d go with the Marantz (all other things being equal).

I have the Marantz 8012 and to me honest, I don’t think there’s any significant difference between it and the 7x or even the 6x series.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis