geek101

Audioholic Intern
This is my following setup

Room: 13.5ft(L) X 18ft(W) X 8ft(H)
My 5.1 Setup:
Fronts: Paradigm studio 40v3
Center: Paradigm CC470v3
Sides: Paradigm studio 20v3
Sub: Aperion Audio (too lazy to look at model number)

Amp+Rcvr: Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi

If I go with Marantz AV7005 would XPA-5 be the way to go? Or Should I just go with Maranthz SR7005 ?.

Reason to go with Marantz : Audyssey, DD+(I want this for Netflix), Dolby True HD, DTS HD-MA processing and other cool features which are not so important but I like them.

I auditioned Denon AVR-4311ci, Pioneer Elite SC-55, Arcam AVR360 with B&W CM8 , listened to Neil Young - "On The Way home" from "Live from Massey Hall" Blu-ray in 2.1 channel and Some vocal and solo part of "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix in 2 channel

I think Pioneer Elite SC-55 and Marantz SR7005 came close. I have to listen more closely to make out difference.

I think I might be suffering from upgraditis. Its been 4 years since my setup and 3 different homes and I have heard B&W CM9s recently and that sent me wondering how much I am missing listening to music. I am not sure if its just the speakers, calibration, my room or the equipment etc etc.

After listening to B&W CM8s today I figured I won't be happy going from Paradigm Studio 40v3 to B&W CM8/9s. I need to go all the way, most probably a dedicated room with proper treatment etc before changing all the gear.

Long story short I want more from what I have. I am not going to change my speakers. Hence my plan is to try XPA-5 with Marantz AV7005 and see if it is indeed better than what I have today with respect to music and probably better experience with movies.

Few more options that I see.
1. Try XPA-5 with my 84Txsi and see if I see an improvement.
2. If I do not see an improvement try Marantz SR7005
3. If I do not see any improvement add XPA-5
4. If I do not see any improvement then just be happy with the new fancy features of Marantz SR7005 and sell XPA-5.

But the problem with the plan is Marantz AV7005, my goal is to try Marantz AV7005 and XPA-5.

Anyone been where I am right now?. I am looking for some ideas or plan from more experienced folks here. Any ideas or constructive criticism is welcome.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I personally like going separates but if you like the sound of the Marantz then going with the XPA-5 will change the sound you hear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get an AVR + XPA-5. It's good to have a backup amp.:D

If your XPA-5 should need service, the AVR internal amp will be a nice backup.

You should not be able to tell a difference between the sound quality of these AVRs and pre-pros in direct modes if you get that SPL meter out and level match each one. They all measure so exceptionally.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Sell your speakers? Take that $$ with the ~$2500 you have for receiver and amplification and upgrade?

You would notice a difference then.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Due to the very high gain on the XPA-5 I have read about several users having issues with their AV7005's Audyssey calibration when using high sensitivity speakers (Klipsch etc.). What ends up happening is that the levels all get set to -12 which is the max that Audyssey can adjust each channel. I'm not sure of the sensitivity of your Paradigms but if they are over 90 it could be an issue. Check out the AV7005 thread on AVS.

I've had my AV7005 for about 8 months now and overall am happy with the unit. I have had some ground loop issues after going to this vs. my Onkyo 885 which made the upgrade a little less exciting. If I had it to do over I would have went with the Denon 4311 in preamp mode and the new Audyssey XT32 with independent sub calibration.

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
I would get an AVR + XPA-5. It's good to have a backup amp.:D

If your XPA-5 should need service, the AVR internal amp will be a nice backup.

You should not be able to tell a difference between the sound quality of these AVRs and pre-pros in direct modes if you get that SPL meter out and level match each one. They all measure so exceptionally.
I have a 4311 and I used to run it with a separate Rotel Amp to power the mains (B&W N804s). My Rotel Amp just went out and I am using the internal amps as a back up. In fact, it sounds so good right now I am considering not replacing the separate amp. I keep thinking I will need more headroom but I haven't yet.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
After listening to B&W CM8s today I figured I won't be happy going from Paradigm Studio 40v3 to B&W CM8/9s. I need to go all the way, most probably a dedicated room with proper treatment etc before changing all the gear.
Not really. I mean a dedicated room is highly recommended to anyone with world class speakers but if you don't already have some world class speakers then you're limiting yourself anyways.

THe B&Ws aren't the only option out there at a given price point.

Start with speakers you feel are a real upgrade. the electronics are just a fun "aside" but if you're not 100% satisfied with the speakers then you're not going to be even 50% satisfied with the electronics.

Remember, there's 100+ different speakers with different value and different sound.
There's 100+ different electronics with similar value and similar sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 4311 and I used to run it with a separate Rotel Amp to power the mains (B&W N804s). My Rotel Amp just went out and I am using the internal amps as a back up. In fact, it sounds so good right now I am considering not replacing the separate amp. I keep thinking I will need more headroom but I haven't yet.
I'm guessing 99% of people with the Denon 4311 don't even need an external amp, but 90% of them buy external amps anyway. :D

I think it's a good idea to let the external amp do all the hard work and let the internal amp serve as back up.:D

It just might preserve the life of the AVR.:D

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
I did not like the presentation of "Hey Joe" by 4311. It could be how they configured it but what I noticed is that the low frequencies were trouncing the mids . I had them set the receiver to direct mode so it was playing in 2 channel only. The sub was off .

At this point I have to pick between av7005 sr7005

Thanks

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I did not like the presentation of "Hey Joe" by the speakers hooked up to the 4311 in the given room. It could be how they configured it but what I noticed is that the low frequencies were trouncing the mids .
Fixed it for ya...

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
Thanks jinjuku,

Other than B&W I have heard Totem Hawks and the speakers in the $100k McIntosh room. Well Totem Hawks weren't a great leap from B&W and without the sub they were not great with music I listened to. I am going to audition Dynaudio focus towers and see if I can notice that wow factor.

What would be a better upgrade?. If I sell my current setup I might not get more than $2000, which is what I have use towards new speakers!!. Any ideas given I do not want to spend more than $7500 total. I am willing to get used gear. The Paradigms I have got were all used and are in great shape.

Sell your speakers? Take that $$ with the ~$2500 you have for receiver and amplification and upgrade?

You would notice a difference then.

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
thanks adk,

Paradigm Studio 40v3 have sensitivity rated at 92dB :(. I will contact Emotiva for their opinion on this.

Due to the very high gain on the XPA-5 I have read about several users having issues with their AV7005's Audyssey calibration when using high sensitivity speakers (Klipsch etc.). What ends up happening is that the levels all get set to -12 which is the max that Audyssey can adjust each channel. I'm not sure of the sensitivity of your Paradigms but if they are over 90 it could be an issue. Check out the AV7005 thread on AVS.

I've had my AV7005 for about 8 months now and overall am happy with the unit. I have had some ground loop issues after going to this vs. my Onkyo 885 which made the upgrade a little less exciting. If I had it to do over I would have went with the Denon 4311 in preamp mode and the new Audyssey XT32 with independent sub calibration.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks jinjuku,

Other than B&W I have heard Totem Hawks and the speakers in the $100k McIntosh room. Well Totem Hawks weren't a great leap from B&W and without the sub they were not great with music I listened to. I am going to audition Dynaudio focus towers and see if I can notice that wow factor.

What would be a better upgrade?. If I sell my current setup I might not get more than $2000, which is what I have use towards new speakers!!. Any ideas given I do not want to spend more than $7500 total. I am willing to get used gear. The Paradigms I have got were all used and are in great shape.
Start a thread at the loudspeakers board outlining your criteria and room acoustics/dimensions.

G

geek101

Audioholic Intern
Thanks EV,

I understand that there are lot of choices but the problem is there is not much room for objective valuation of various options.

I am going to check out Dynaudio today or tomorrow though there are more expensive them B&W CMs. I think Dynaudio focus is the maximum I can afford.

Please feel free to let me know what speakers are available in this price range that I can listen to before jumping in.

thanks again

Not really. I mean a dedicated room is highly recommended to anyone with world class speakers but if you don't already have some world class speakers then you're limiting yourself anyways.

THe B&Ws aren't the only option out there at a given price point.

Start with speakers you feel are a real upgrade. the electronics are just a fun "aside" but if you're not 100% satisfied with the speakers then you're not going to be even 50% satisfied with the electronics.

Remember, there's 100+ different speakers with different value and different sound.
There's 100+ different electronics with similar value and similar sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did not like the presentation of "Hey Joe" by 4311. It could be how they configured it but what I noticed is that the low frequencies were trouncing the mids . I had them set the receiver to direct mode so it was playing in 2 channel only. The sub was off .

At this point I have to pick between av7005 sr7005

Thanks
If you did not like the sound of the Denon 4311, it must be because of the speakers and room acoustic and the volume was not level-matched with an SPL meter.

So the same speakers were all hooked up to all 3 AVR?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, this was at a Magnolia store everything was automated.
Something they did not do right. Besides better specs (than the SR7005), the 4311 has been getting consistent good reviews. I typically don't have much faith in reviews but in this case I am confident the 4311 is the best among the 3 you listed. I read about someone being so happy with the 4311 to the point he sold his MCH Bryston and never looked back. Just fyi I have previous own 3 Denon AVR and now an AV7005 plus power amp. If I were to do it over again I would spent the money on speakers/subs upgrade instead. So take your time to think it over before going down that upgrade path.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm guessing 99% of people with the Denon 4311 don't even need an external amp, but 90% of them buy external amps anyway. :D

I think it's a good idea to let the external amp do all the hard work and let the internal amp serve as back up.:D

It just might preserve the life of the AVR.:D
I sold my Adcom 5503 after switching up to the 4308Ci from my HK 3600. Actually came out ahead on the deal by a few $$'s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis