Marantz 7011 with no sound output when the source is an HDMI input

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi!

Good news!

I already had done everything you told me, everything I read in the user and technical manuals, in the forums, and ... still no audio when the input source is one of the HDMI inputs!

Today I decided to do a last test with the Marantz 7011 before I pack it to send it to repair. So, very early in the morning, after another restart (one more) as you and the manuals say, no audio from HDMI sources yet! I decided to go through all the AVR menu and turn off everything in the menu that I didn't need and ... at last, something I hadn’t tried before to repair it, to reconfigure the Audissey again (using the included microphone) and ... it started to send audio to the speakers from the HDMI inputs as source, again!!!

After that I did a lot of tests, tried all the HDMI inputs and tried the ARC from the TV (LG65E6V) and, as much as I can say, its working with all of them including the TV audio by ARC (I tested it with Netflix playing in the TV)!

Conclusion:

Problem: For some reason that I don’t know, the AVR stopped sending audio to the speakers when the input source was any one of the HDMI inputs, including ARC from the TV. The last different thing that I remember related with the Marantz 7011 was to notice, at night around two weeks ago, that it was doing a software update. At the time I was using the AVR only in the mode pass-through (powered off) so I didn’t notice nothing different at the time. Only a few days after I noticed that there was no audio from the speakers when the selected source was one of the HDMI inputs. The video image was good!

Solution: The usual restarts as the manual says, redo the installation of the AVR, including the Audissey part of it (it only worked after the new Audissey reinstallation)! The strange thing is that, even with the factory restarts and all, the AVR didn´t start to let the audio go from an HDMI input to an HDMI output or the speakers, only after I mess with the Audissey configuration again!

Thank you for your support!

Vitor Almeida
I dare say there might have been something wrong with the factory reset process after your last update for whatever reason. I suggested that you do the reset several times, not just once. That didn't make sense to me either but I read on another forum where people reported that it worked only after many factory resets.

It has nothing to do with re-running Audyssey, though it is a good idea to repeat it anyway, after whatever the last update might have messed other things up.

ARC is a tricky one to set up, I learnt my lesson on that too, but now that it is working, you should try adding back the other inputs you had before to make sure they are all working again. If not, then there has to be still something wrong. Marantz only offers a 3 year warranty, so the SR7011, being a 2015 model, you shouldn't wait too long.

V

Vitor Almeida

Enthusiast
Hi!
As I wrote before I did lots of factory resets and nothing.
If it was a bad reset before the AVR would had played after the last one and it didn't. It only played after the Audissey configuration! So I can't agree with you when you write: "It has nothing to do with re-running Audyssey"!

I agree with you about the ARC configuration! It's tricky!

Everything is working well now, all the inputs, all the outputs, everything I can remember of!
Regards
V. Almeida

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've seen recommendations of doing 5 resets in a row, and apparently came from D&M themselves....glad it worked out finally! (and hope it doesn't come back!)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi!
"So I can't agree with you when you write: "It has nothing to do with re-running Audyssey"!
We can disagree, sometimes it is a good thing. I am 99% (not 100%) sure re-running Audyssey has nothing do with fixing whatever the real issue(s) was/were. Yes I understood you got it working right after that re-running Audyssey, but to me that could have been just a coincident, you might have done after things around the same time just prior. As HD said, glad to know you got it working now, it would have been a pain to have to ship it out and wait for its return. On the other hand, please do put everything back to where they were before when it was working, just to make sure there is nothing hidden.

V

Vitor Almeida

Enthusiast
Hi!

It wasn’t a disagreement, it was an exchange of ideas! :) Thanks for it!
When I ask for help in a forum I use to put the solution if I got one somewhere else, that's why I wrote about it.
I tried everything with the Marantz. I disconnected all the HDMI input and output cables, except TV (to be able to see the menu), I kept it disconnected around 24h before connect it to the power outlet and do a new restart and... nothing! Another synthome of the problem was that the Marantz AVR app in the mobile (Android) didn’t show up the “AVR Info” screen, it was empty. Now it is normal!

Today in the morning I powered it on and did what I told before: turn off everything in the menu and let only what I really need. Nothing! No sound! Then I decided to reconfigure the Audissey and ... audio in the speakers again!

Today I didn't any new restart before the Audissey reconfiguration!

Maybe it wasn’t the Audissey part but, logically, I can’t think about anything else.

I already connected all the HDMI input and output cables, I reconfigured all the Audissey again and the Marantz is as before the fault: Working normally by what I can test till now! I hope it continues like now!

Bye!
Thanks to all!

Vitor Almeida

V

Vitor Almeida

Enthusiast
Hi!

As I wrote in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2450130-official-marantz-2016-nr-1607-sr-5011-6011-7011-owner-s-thread-158.html#post57075886 I had problems with my Marantz SR7011. I thought that it was now working properly but it is not. At least as I think it should and as it worked before and it must now!

Problem 1: When I change the HDMI input in a control sometimes it takes time to send the sound to the speakers (tens of seconds).

Problem 2: Now I was testing it and notice that the blu-ray reader (Sony BDP-S770), configured as Auto or yCbCr, when connected to any HDMI input of the 7011 and this one to the TV (LG 65E6V) sends an image that is pinkish and there is no sound! All other HDMI sources (TV box, PS4, Media reader) are working normally.

If I configure the blu-ray reader to output the image signal as RGB the image in the TV is normal but no sound!

If I connect the blu-ray reader directly to the TV with the same cable and any configuration of the output image (auto/yCbCr or RGB) the image and the sound are normal!

I tried other HDMI cables also, same results.

This also happens when the 7011 is off and in pass-through mode, pinkish image and no sound from the blu-ray reader.

I tried all the menu configurations I could remember in the 7011 and the blu-ray reader and … same result.

I did a restart of the blu-ray reader also, no difference.

Any suggestions?
Best regards
Vitor Almeida

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can only suggest the same thing I suggested before. That is, do the factory reset multiple times, as HD cited, say 5 times in a row. If the problem persists, send it back to Marantz for warranty repair or replacement. If you wait too long you are going to miss the warranty (if not already) that is only for 3 years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis