Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Denon avr-x6700h

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
J

James123

Audioholic Intern
Hi all.
I live in South Africa and want to upgrade my receiver Onkyo RZ730 and can't choose between the following options

Denon avr-x6700h @ $3250
Marantz cinema 50 @ $3467

Currently I have Monitor audio silver speakers in a 7.4.4 with a Marantz 5 ch amp and mini dsp in a 370 square feet room.
I have a 8k tv and 120" 4k projector in the room.

I mainly use the room for 80% movies and 20% music.

I liked the denon because of the additional channels but its a older model.
I like the looks of the Marantz, 4 sub out and option for dirac.

Power output is not a priority.

What are your thoughts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all.
I live in South Africa and want to upgrade my receiver Onkyo RZ730 and can't choose between the following options

Denon avr-x6700h @ $3250
Marantz cinema 50 @ $3467

Currently I have Monitor audio silver speakers in a 7.4.4 with a Marantz 5 ch amp and mini dsp in a 370 square feet room.
I have a 8k tv and 120" 4k projector in the room.

I mainly use the room for 80% movies and 20% music.

I liked the denon because of the additional channels but its a older model.
I like the looks of the Marantz, 4 sub out and option for dirac.

Power output is not a priority.

What are your thoughts?
The Denon is a much better value if you don't need the latest features found on the Cinema 50. How much is the AVR-X3800H in SA? If it is $500 less than the Cinema 50, then unless you think the Marantz look is worth it, go for Denon. You already have a 5 ch power amp, that should take care your 4 ohm Monitor Audio speakers, so the X3800. With the recent (actually even the older models that have XT32 SubEQ HT) Denon/Marantz AVRs, there is no need to use a minidsp, I've got my back in the box for a long time, you can sell it to recoup a few dollars.

J

James123

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your reply.
Denon avc-x3800h is $2550.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your reply.
Denon avc-x3800h is $2550.
My point is then, why would you pay almost $1,000 for the Marantz? If the better look (subjective) is worth it, sure. If you are concern about sound quality, the two will sound the same in a blind test, you can't believe forum talks, and reviewers, nor Denon and Marantz marketing hype oriented information. So, for my money, unless the price difference is no more than $200, I would not pay more for the aesthetic, such as the better look gold plated RCA connectors, a slightly bigger enclosure, and a marginally bigger power supply that offers almost 0 advantage because you are using external power amp anyway. But, it's your money.

As to the 6700, unless they offer a bigger discount and full 3 year warranty, I would not go for it because it is getting old by AVR standard so even if brand new, it will feel like buying a used older model now.

I am using the entry level AVR-X1800H as a two channel integrated amp and that little sounds just as good as my Anthem separates in my HT, and my other separate preamp/power amps including a pair of Marantz separates.

So I am of the opinion that the X3800H is hard to beat, highly recommended, by me based on my experience with the tiny X1800H. The $1000 you save by going with the Denon will buy you many media contents of high recording quality, that's what count the most on sound quality, not different AVRs in that price range.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am using the…AVR-X1800H…that sounds just as good as my Anthem separates…..
Well that’s because your Anthem is not the AV90, which will no doubt sound better than the AV70, which no doubt sounds better than the AV60, and so on and so forth. :D

No seriously, you know I believe you because I’ve been saying the same thing for years. But most audiophiles will sneer at us for saying that ANY AVR sounds as good as “separates”, much less an entry level AVR. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with others in saying that unless you need the features in the x6700, I would get the newer x3800.

The reason I can think of for getting the x6700 is mainly for bragging rights because the 6000-series are made in Japan and are higher end.

Last edited:
J

James123

Audioholic Intern
So I've decided to by the Marantz cinema 10 o_O
Just joking
I'm going with the the Denon avc-x3800h.

My new question is, I actually have 5 subs. 1 in each corner and 5th one behind the main seat. This is connected to the front right sub output. The 4 corner subs are connected and set with the mini dsp. If I now connect it to the receiver, how would I configure it.
4 subs all play together, 4 subs but play to the nearest speaker or 3 subs and the 5th sub as a but kicker ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just joking

My new question is, I actually have 5 subs. 1 in each corner and 5th one behind the main seat. This is connected to the front right sub output. The 4 corner subs are connected and set with the mini dsp. If I now connect it to the receiver, how would I configure it.
4 subs all play together, 4 subs but play to the nearest speaker or 3 subs and the 5th sub as a but kicker ?
Good decision on the avc-x3800h. You should disconnect the minidsp that will not do anything for you except limiting the output voltage to 2V maximum and give you the spaghetti wire junctions.

I would use the 4 subouts to connect the 4 corner subs, and use the 5th one for something else. More subs beyond 4, or even 2, in many cases, do not not always give you more and/or better sounding bass.

The money you saved by going with the x3800h can be used to pay for the DLBC license, but you can also use Audyssey for now, and but the DLBC license when it goes on sale.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just joking

What are the subs particularly? Which are equidistant to each other (i.e. from your mlp)? Might go by distance from seat just using the avr...

J

James123

Audioholic Intern
When I added the 5th sub it resolved a null I had.
2 x monitor audio w12 - sealed
3 x svs sb1000 pro - sealed

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When I added the 5th sub it resolved a null I had.
2 x monitor audio w12 - sealed
3 x svs sb1000 pro - sealed
I assume you checked the results, and saw that "null" so you know that for sure.

There is a good chance that with DLBC, or even just Audyssey, if use the app, you should be able to fill that null to some extent with 4 subs, especially if you have the flexibility to do some sub crawling. Other than that, there is no good simple way to configure 5 subs like that, even with 4 independent subouts that the X3800H does have. It can be done of course, just a lot of work, probably for no audible improvements. Narrow voids are not really audible, even Dr. Toole would tell you to don't worry about those. If the voids are wide and deep, then sure, do something about them.

J

James123

Audioholic Intern
Thanks.
I have dirac in the mini dsp and was told you can use the same license but the settings will not transfer so will start with the 4 sub option

I want to try Audyssey 1st and then dirac if I don't come right

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Thanks.
I have dirac in the mini dsp and was told you can use the same license but the settings will not transfer so will start with the 4 sub option

I want to try Audyssey 1st and then dirac if I don't come right
Get the app... it will give you a lot more flexibility

Audyssey vs Dirac Live is much of a muchness... heavily dependent on how much time you spend on it getting it just right (including adjustment to your taste!)

But if you want the multi-subs fully integrated, then you will have to go Dirac DLBC, and retire the minidsp - which is substantial additional expense... and whether the results will justify the expense is anyones guess (too many variables!)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Get the app... it will give you a lot more flexibility

Audyssey vs Dirac Live is much of a muchness... heavily dependent on how much time you spend on it getting it just right (including adjustment to your taste!)

But if you want the multi-subs fully integrated, then you will have to go Dirac DLBC, and retire the minidsp - which is substantial additional expense... and whether the results will justify the expense is anyones guess (too many variables!)
Glad to know I am not the only one. I like the recent minidsp products that have great specs, but not the 2X4HD that lots of people have and that thing is priced reasonably fair yet imo, is so overrated on forums. People don't seem to realize aside from things like time aligning several subs, it really can't do better than Audyssey with app or other 3rd party software such as Ratbuddyssey, Audioone etc.

The other negative of using that minidsp is that it's specs say 2 V maximum. As we all know most AVRs and even AVPs rated their preouts to 1.2 V, even so of the high end expensive ones, but that 1 or 1.2 V are not stated as maximum whereas minidsp clearly stated it as "maximum". I can also confirm by experience that the 2X4HD mini's output is definitely quited limited, so when I used it with amps like the hypex ones that have 25.5 dB gain, I had to crank the volume up very high. That is not really a problem for most people but would probably confused inexperienced users, though it probably is low for use with subs, but then humans can tolerate much higher distortions in the bass range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis