Manual Speaker Size Settings Yamaha V-RX4600

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
I don't have the remote control for this unit. All the speaker size settings are set to small and all of my spkrs are large. I have a remote for another Yamaha AV rcvr and was able to navigate to the menu but am unable to change any of the parameters.
Same goes for the diagnostic menu, no option to change anything. Any Ideas other than but a overpriced remote on Ebay?
Thanks

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Heya,

No buttons on the front of the unit? Usually there's at least a crude interface with up/down/left/right?

I've had to replace remotes over the years; you can get generic ones that work flawless pretty much. Just search your model number remote and look for a clone/generic that is compatible and give it a try?

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All small means is "use bass management", so if you're utilizing a sub then it's likely the correct setting. I'd think you can do it on the front panel without a remote, too, tho.

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
Main out feeds a couple of active crossovers feeding subs, bass cabinets, mids and horns in front. I have couple of consumer grade active subs wired to the sub output, really don't like them cause they need constant adjustment.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Please detail your speakers and subs if you want accurate advice!

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
bass cabinets are jbl 4507, subs are peavy 118. Driven by 4
bridged Qsc 1850's. cheap behringer 2310 crossovers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You do not have Full Range capabilities.
Your JBL "bass Cabinets" are rated as "usable" down to 35Hz.
Those Peavy 118s are rated F3 @ 40Hz.

You are using Pro Gear for HT, which is fine, but the actual performance specs do not line up with what is expected for HT Gear in terms of what the necessary FR is for the different parts of the mix.
LFE Content goes down as low as 3Hz, up to 120Hz. A proper Full Range speaker should produce 20Hz-20,000Hz, ideally ±3dB. Most modern Subwoofers will cover anywhere from 15-18Hz on the low end, up to 150-200Hz on the high end.

The proper setting is in fact "SMALL" for the Speakers you detailed. I don't know what you are using up high, but down low... you are coming up short, I'm afraid.

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
In all honesty, I use it as a stereo setup rather than home theatre. But am using an av receiver as a pre amp and wanted to make sure that the low end isn't being rolled off to the Lfe output.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No Worries, but the same still applies.
If you aren't using LFE, just set the XO as low as it will let you, otherwise, you'll need to figure out the control panel method, or buy a remote.
Regardless, the Peavys seem redundant and useless in the situation. I suppose if you are going for sheer SPL, then you've got it covered.
For Rock especially, you aren't really going to miss much below 40Hz except some Piano fundamentals and "room ambience."

Cheers!

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
Yeah the peavys are crossed at 100hz and could be eliminated. They do move some air though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting setup. I can see using the avr for bass management, or not. If you do set speakers to full range/large you only want LFE from the sub connected to the avr pre-out? Or trying for something like LFE+Main/Double Bass type setup?

Did you try a microprocessor reset? I'd think that would default to setting all speakers as large in any case....

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
I did the CPU reset, but the default setting must be small or else it doesn't change that parameter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did the CPU reset, but the default setting must be small or else it doesn't change that parameter.
Pretty sure that reset has always reverted to full range on the avrs I've used.....you sure you can't use the front panel? Older avrs particularly generally had such capability without remote. Just how much would a replacement remote cost?

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
$60 remote is the cheapest I've seen. Father's Day.......

Y

Yaknobah

Audiophyte
So I broke down and bought the remote. Slight increase in low end. Thanks for all the advice

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis