Madonna in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It is precisely those aspects of Madonna that religious types object to that I admire the most. My hat is off to anyone with the guts to be openly, publicly blasphemous.
We already know that Joe. :eek: But that speaks nothing to her skill as a performer, or her misclassification as a rock artist. :);)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
It is precisely those aspects of Madonna that religious types object to that I admire the most. My hat is off to anyone with the guts to be openly, publicly blasphemous.
Meh... I've never been that impressed. It's mainstream modern schtick, and Madonna has continually "reinvented" herself in order to keep herself in the spotlight. And I've never enjoyed her music either - just not my cup o' the proverbial tea. But - I can respect her talent nonetheless, even if she doen't write her own material. :p Worthy of the "Hall of Fame" status? Who cares? I agree it means next to nothing when you consider the many legendary and talented artists and musicians who have never been inducted if only because they don't fit a certain "mold". Yeah, when Tom Waits gets inducted, then I'll start paying attention.

Sinead O'Connor ripped apart a picture of the Pope on SNL... THAT took some balls (pardon the expression). :eek:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Meh... I've never been that impressed. It's mainstream modern schtick, and Madonna has continually "reinvented" herself in order to keep herself in the spotlight. And I've never enjoyed her music either - just not my cup o' the proverbial tea. But - I can respect her talent nonetheless, even if she doen't write her own material. :p Worthy of the "Hall of Fame" status? Who cares? I agree it means next to nothing when you consider the many legendary and talented artists and musicians who have never been inducted if only because they don't fit a certain "mold". Yeah, when Tom Waits gets inducted, then I'll start paying attention.

Sinead O'Connor ripped apart a picture of the Pope on SNL... THAT took some balls (pardon the expression). :eek:
Yes Halon she did. :eek:

Good morning.

I wonder what "Madonna" or Sinead would think, and what they would feel, if one were to publicly ridicule, denounce and defame that which they hold dear, and strongly believe in (other than themselves...of course ;)). I mean, they are both public figures, and are therefore fair game. I wonder, would they think it was cruel, and unnecessary, and mean-spirited?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, she did, and I respect her for that. Not a big fan of her music (particularly not the reggae CD), but she has won my admiration.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, she did, and I respect her for that. Not a big fan of her music (particularly not the reggae CD), but she has won my admiration.

We obviously have vastly different prequisites for conferring respect Joe.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Yes Halon she did. :eek:

Good morning.

I wonder what "Madonna" or Sinead would think, and what they would feel, if one were to publicly ridicule, denounce and defame that which they hold dear, and strongly believe in (other than themselves...of course ;)). I mean, they are both public figures, and are therefore fair game. I wonder, would they think it was cruel, and unnecessary, and mean-spirited?
Well, personally I don't think anyone deserves that kind of treatment, but I do get annoyed when rock stars (and celebrities in general) use their fame as a springboard for projecting an image they believe is far greater than themselves - it's just to the point of being obscenely arrogant and conceited. Fair game? As much as anyone else in the public spotlight - the higher you rise, the more visible you are to the wolves and vultures who lurk in the shadows. ;)

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Thanks surveyor. It's Friday, and I'm off to a "rock" concert tonight...Madonna...fronted by Audioslave. :p;)
Enjoy the concert Johnd. I'm sure all the heavies will be studying Madonna for tips!:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Enjoy the concert Johnd. I'm sure all the heavies will be studying Madonna for tips!:D
Thanks surveyor. But I'm only going for the front band...I'll leave before Madonna ever steps foot on stage. ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Nah, I just save all that energy for the various flame wars that erupt on this website... :D
No. We are all civilized adults bespeaking the facts of our personal experiences and empiracal data drawn from scientific sources. Meh, there's an occasional toe stepped on here, but there are invariably some good threads here to get involved in. What I like, is that I can personally attack ;) one member in this thread, and reach out offering kind advice in another. We got everything here. :p:)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks surveyor. But I'm only going for the front band...I'll leave before Madonna ever steps foot on stage. ;)
Why would you do that after paying for the ticket? Even without being a fan of her music, it is sure to be a lavish, entertaining spectacle.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
No. We are all civilized adults bespeaking the facts of our personal experiences and empiracal data drawn from scientific sources. Meh, there's an occasional toe stepped on here, but there are invariably some good threads here to get involved in. What I like, is that I can personally attack ;) one member in this thread, and reach out offering kind advice in another. We got everything here. :p:)
B**ch slap with one hand whilst coddling with the other... where else do you have that kind of diversity in your relations with others? :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
B**ch slap with one hand whilst coddling with the other... where else do you have that kind of diversity in your relations with others? :D
LOL. :p I gues that's another way of putting it. Love/Hate. Meh, I've really never been coddled in life, so if my plainness of speach is misinterpreted as meanness...by anyone, forgive me. :p;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
More than anything Madonna is a consummate business woman who knows how to manipulate the market by employing "shocking" video productions and controversial issues , as a vehicle to administrate a lucrative business venture. If it entertains some folks.....great, as for legitimacy to be included in a "hall of fame," I wouldn't go so far. As for her brand of "entertainment" being labeled rock, it just ain't so.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
More than anything Madonna is a consummate business woman who knows how to manipulate the market by employing "shocking" video productions and controversial issues , as a vehicle to administrate a lucrative business venture. If it entertains some folks.....great, as for legitimacy to be included in a "hall of fame," I wouldn't go so far. As for her brand of "entertainment" being labeled rock, it just ain't so.
The wiseman has spoken. (I understand you to be musically inclined strat...thus the significance of your name). ;)

Good morning strat. I agree. She hugely benefitted from "SHOCK" value. Some may forget how controversial the crucifix ordeal was (and is) and her attire (amongst other things). I'm not so easily impressed. :p She is talented, to be sure. At what is debatable. And she may very well be deserving of an award (for what, again: debatable :). She is certainly not a rock singer. :p

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Good morning John,

I've been playing guitar since the age of seven, started with a very strict, talented, but oh so disciplinarian classical guitar teacher, I studied under him for 7 years and he flipped his wig (almost literally) when I asked one day (after class) if we could do jazz comps, I thought he was going to kill me, the tirade lasted an eternity. Slowly I drifted away from the classical scene and went into jazz and blues. Rock, though enjoyable at times, is simplistic and one tires of it quite quickly, sadly many people confuse fretboard pyrotechnics for virtuosity. I still gravitate to Steely Dan for some rock/jazz/? mix they do, but mostly for the irony in their lyrics. The bulk of my listening is still straight jazz, Wes, Coltrane, Mingus, etc. As for Madonna, she's a great business woman and I tip my hat to her for that, as for her "music?" I guess some people are easily entertained.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
rock music

noun
a genre of popular music originating in the 1950s; a blend of black rhythm-and-blues with white country-and-western; "rock is a generic term for the range of styles that evolved out of rock'n'roll." [syn: rock 'n' roll]
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rock music

rock-'n'-roll
–noun
1. a style of popular music that derives in part from blues and folk music and is marked by a heavily accented beat and a simple, repetitive phrase structure.
–adjective
2. of or pertaining to this music.
–verb (used without object)
3. to dance to or play rock-'n'-roll.
Also, rock-and-roll, rock 'n' roll.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rock 'n' roll

Those who say Madonna does not and has not performed "rock music" are misusing their terms.

The "reasoning" that many appear to be employing is pretty much as follows:

I like rock music.
I don't like Madonna's music.

This, of course, is not a good argument.

Madonna does rock music, regardless of whether one likes this or not. To say otherwise shows that one simply does not know what "rock music" is.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rock music

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rock 'n' roll

Those who say Madonna does not and has not performed "rock music" are misusing their terms.

The "reasoning" that many appear to be employing is pretty much as follows:

I like rock music.
I don't like Madonna's music.

This, of course, is not a good argument.

Madonna does rock music, regardless of whether one likes this or not. To say otherwise shows that one simply does not know what "rock music" is.
Tis not "good argument" to appeal to that last bastion of credible information...the ultimate authority: Dictionary.com. :D

Just because a "style of popular music that derives in part from blues and folk music and is marked by a heavily accented beat and a simple, repetitive phrase structure" exists, does not in and of itself make it rock. Sorry. By that definition, I could beat on a tin can after my tone deaf ears listen to Robert Cray and Bob Dylan...thus influencing my tin can beating...and as long as I thump in a "heavily accented beat and a simple, repetitive phrase structure" by your definition, my tin can beating is now "Rock." Woe to those that appeal to a false higher authority.

Sorry. Not even close. Those that need to refer to a .com site to know, understand or define rock, know not what rock and roll is. :p And even the sublimest and most accurate of dictionaries can not help those that refuse to understand.

Madonna. Yes. A Rock god. :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis