M&K Sound Enters the Heavyweight Subwoofer Class with THX Certified Dominus Subs

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
M&K Sound is launching a major new refresh of their celebrated X series called the X+. The original X series was launched in 2013, and although it had found a home in the recording studios of many major producers, technology had advanced considerably since its inception. The X+ series takes advantage of many of the new advances of modern subwoofer technology while still retaining the distinctive push-pull design of the original. The X+ also pushes the woofer sizes up a notch and deletes the dual-8” cone model while adding a dual-15”! The line-up now consists of the X10+ that has dual 10” woofers, the X12+ that has two 12”s, and the X15+ with its dual 15” cones. Read our full preview article to see what M&K Sound has done to modernize their classic subwoofer line...

READ: M&K Sound Refreshes Their X Series subs with Some Serious Upgrades

J

John Daddabbo

Audioholic Intern
I don't doubt that these M&K subwoofers are excellent, however how do you possibly justify spending $9000 on dual M&K X10+ subwoofers when for the same price you could implement 6 Monoprice Monolith 15 THX subwoofers double stacked in three ideal locations throughout your room! 1. Utilizing three placement positions will achieve quite a bit better results (in all relevant ways) and 2. The low frequency extension would also be quite a bit better and 3. The total SPL output across the entire frequency range would out perfom the dual M&K X10+ (especially at the sub-20 hz frequencies). Not to mention that most folks, given our room sizes, would have more than enough bass output employing only 3 Monoprice Monolith 15 THX subwoofers placed strategically throughout their room... and at a cost of only a single M&K X10+. Go Monoprice!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've seen these on Craigslist and brushed past them because I had never seen them before. Methinks I may go back and see what the price was for them...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
M&K Sound is launching a major new refresh of their celebrated X series called the X+. The original X series was launched in 2013, and although it had found a home in the recording studios of many major producers, technology had advanced considerably since its inception. The X+ series takes advantage of many of the new advances of modern subwoofer technology while still retaining the distinctive push-pull design of the original. The X+ also pushes the woofer sizes up a notch and deletes the dual-8” cone model while adding a dual-15”! The line-up now consists of the X10+ that has dual 10” woofers, the X12+ that has two 12”s, and the X15+ with its dual 15” cones. Read our full preview article to see what M&K Sound has done to modernize their classic subwoofer line...

I am very glad you published this Shady. I tell you what I've learned about M&K

I went to Bjorns 2 weeks ago and I was just debuting speakers

I listened to all sorts of speakers B&W 700 Klipsch RF7 iiii which are bad a$$ speakers by the way Golden Ear Triton 2's which sounded terrible on midrange and bass but in there defense I don't think they were setup with the powered subs dialed in correctly at all. So I'll cut them some slacks

You want to know sitting up on a shelf way above the proper listening window not even spaced equal distance apart sounded as good as the best I heard? I mean as good yes they need a sub but in every other aspect they filled that room with great distortion free sound with great imaging and soundstaging not even setup properly? With oitstanding midrange and highs by the way?

The M&K monitors. I could not believe it man. Just blew my mind away.

If those subs are of the quality as they're speakers they are going to be a great buy if you got the coin for it

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Looking at the pictures, in each cabinet the two drivers are at 90° from each other. That doesn't look like a push-pull design to me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looking at the pictures, in each cabinet the two drivers are at 90° from each other. That doesn't look like a push-pull design to me.
Why do you think that isn't a push-pull arrangement?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here it is!

He's asking $200 for that one, but "upper driver needs replaced"...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why do you think that isn't a push-pull arrangement?
A real push-pull arrangement is where the drivers are disposed 180° apart. This means, either the two cones or the magnets are facing each other:
push-pull1.jpg
push-pull2.png

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Either design uses box pressure to push and pull right? Do physics care how they're oriented?
The drivers are connected out of phase. When one pushes the other one pulls. It's the amplifier that controls most of the movement, not the box air pressure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The drivers are connected out of phase. When one pushes the other one pulls. It's the amplifier that controls most of the movement, not the box air pressure.
Yeah I know they're wired out of phase. It's a sealed cab tho right? So the changing box pressure would still be relevant for the push pull, right? In my head they'd still be doing that at a 90° angle, but I fully admit I don't know. I'm asking to learn.

Did you look at the one above I found on Craigslist? Think it's the same one? I think I'm gonna send that guy a text with some questions. He's asking $200 and it retails for $5k, but it possibly has a defective upper driver. If that's all that's wrong with it I might contact M&K to see how much a replacement driver would be.

For that matter @shadyJ, do you think the 12" would work with my VTF-3 MK5s?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is more info on isobaric speaker enclosures. By the way, an isobaric arrangement allow you to build a cabinet half the size of the usual ported box for the same low frequency performance, but at the cost of using two drivers. The other advantage is that two drivers can handle double the power:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I know they're wired out of phase. It's a sealed cab tho right? So the changing box pressure would still be relevant for the push pull, right? In my head they'd still be doing that at a 90° angle, but I fully admit I don't know. I'm asking to learn.

Did you look at the one above I found on Craigslist? Think it's the same one? I think I'm gonna send that guy a text with some questions. He's asking $200 and it retails for $5k, but it possibly has a defective upper driver. If that's all that's wrong with it I might contact M&K to see how much a replacement driver would be.

For that matter @shadyJ, do you think the 12" would work with my VTF-3 MK5s?
The changing box air pressure has a slight influence on the drivers displacement as happens for a single driver in a sealed box. That is why I have always preferred ported designs which have lower distortion in part because of a more linear cone displacement at higher SPL.

As for the M & K sub, it seems to have a similar design to the newer models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My dual opposed isn't push/pull....wonder how different that might be?

Glad to see they're doing something good with the brand but the prices of these....meh.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Verdinut do you know anyone selling a push-pull in a dual opposed design? I can't think of anyone doing that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sooner or later you will find another deal on which to spend your money.;)
If all it needed was a new driver $200 would have been pretty good.

Well, provided a new driver didn't cost $700... :oops:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis