Lowest priced avr with Audyssey?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Given my excellent multeq experience in my main theater room, I’m looking for a replacement for my bedroom avr. I’m currently using a Sony STR-DH 550, in a 4.1 config using Klipsch r-15m fronts and r-14m Surround, a sub 1000 for the low end.

Reason I’m looking for Audyssey multeq is the room is 12x11, and has some of the WORST acoustics in the low end, (I believe at one point I measured a 15dB peak at 50hz), which has so far been unresolvable by subwoofer placement changes.

Don’t need a ton of power. Seated 9’ from the fronts, there is no real room treatment at the moment, and the speakers are rated 94dB half space.

The avr x1300w is going for $299 right now, but if I could somehow find a better deal around $200 that’d be great. Features are not important outside of Audyssey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I prefer Audyssey MultEQ over DCAC, I'd still look to the lowest priced avr with MultEQ XT32 over XT, and that over just MultEQ. DCAC or AccuEQ models don't have the functionality AFAIC. 1300s are pretty good deals at $300.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
DCAC kinda sucks. It set my sub 10dB louder than the fronts. My room nearly imploded watching game of thrones during the dragon scene lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Now if you had put that bedroom money into the x3300, we could be having a discussion. I'd love to see a sub1500 implode a room:p

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Now if you had put that bedroom money into the x3300, we could be having a discussion. I'd love to see a sub1500 implode a room
It’s actually a sub 1000 in the bedroom, due to the fact that the room is square, small, and the sub is placed in a corner, I get an unholy amount of LF reinforcement. If I could just smooth out the frequency response...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you are not opposed to going refurbished, then here is a Denon AVR-S720W for $220 shipped! It does have Audyssey MultiEQ. Here is a link:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs720w/denon-avr-s720w-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

I have bought many AVR's from Acc4Less all w/o a hitch. Highly recommend them! :):):)

For $270, you could get the AVR-S920W shipped! Not a bad deal inmho. Either way, hope this helps.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs920w/denon-avr-s920w-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It’s actually a sub 1000 in the bedroom, due to the fact that the room is square, small, and the sub is placed in a corner, I get an unholy amount of LF reinforcement. If I could just smooth out the frequency response...
Have you thought about using REW and a miniDSP? That is certainly one way to fix your problem with room gain/peaks. Also, have you tried to put the sub mid-wall? Sometimes, that can help a little. Here is a link for the miniDSP:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Most people prefer to use the CSL UMiK 1 as well:

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In case you have not seen it, here is the chart comparing the different versions of Audyssey:

Honestly, I would take the "Integra gamble" and coax my budget to $375 and get this Integra DTR-50.4 with XT 32. Put it in your HT room and move the 1300 to your bedroom.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr504/integra-dtr-50.4-7.2-ch-x-135-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

I assume you are aware of Onkyo/Integra's reputation for overheating. I don't know if they did any modifications to refurb units, but they give you a two year warranty which should be long enough to reveal problems.
However, people are understandably reluctant, so Integra has to price it to sell them! Consequently, you end up getting an AVR with MSRP=$1600 for $375. This is a 135WPC AVR with Select 2 Plus THX certification (I know you don't need it for your Klipsch system, but always nice to know you have solid reserves).

The one bone-head thing Integra did with this unit is not include Audyssey SubEQ HT... it will not "ping" your subs and level and phase match them prior to applying Audyssey XT 32. What this means is you need to level match your subs and ideally position them so they are close to the same distance away (to match the phase) manually before running XT 32. Audyssey will then treat the two subs as one and level & phase match the pair with your other speakers.

Seems like I saw something to indicate you are somewhere nearby (Atlanta area), if you like, I have a Denon AVR-4311ci you can try out for a week or two and take some measurements to figure out exactly what benefits you would get from XT 32. Just let me know and we can set something up!

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In case you have not seen it, here is the chart comparing the different versions of Audyssey:

Honestly, I would take the "Integra gamble" and coax my budget to $375 and get this Integra DTR-50.4 with XT 32. Put it in your HT room and move the 1300 to your bedroom.

I assume you are aware of Onkyo/Integra's reputation for overheating. I don't know if they did any modifications to refurb units, but they give you a two year warranty which should be long enough to reveal problems.
However, people are understandably reluctant, so Integra has to price it to sell them! Consequently, you end up getting an AVR with MSRP=$1600 for $375. This is a 135WPC AVR with Select 2 Plus THX certification (I know you don't need it for your Klipsch system, but always nice to know you have solid reserves).

The one bone-head thing Integra did with this unit is not include Audyssey SubEQ HT... it will not "ping" your subs and level and phase match them prior to applying Audyssey XT 32. What this means is you need to level match your subs and ideally position them so they are close to the same distance away (to match the phase) manually before running XT 32. Audyssey will then treat the two subs as one and level & phase match the pair with your other speakers.

Seems like I saw something to indicate you are somewhere nearby (Atlanta area), if you like, I have a Denon AVR-4311ci you can try out for a week or two and take some measurements to figure out exactly what benefits you would get from XT 32. Just let me know and we can set something up!
Kurt, here is a link for the Integra DTR-50.4:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr504/integra-dtr-50.4-7.2-ch-x-135-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Just trying to be of help! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Integra gets my vote. As for overheating, all Integras I've had get HOT. Integra does state in the manual to leave 8" clearance from sides and the top. That's almost impossible unless it's in the open on a top shelf. I have my 7.8 on an open rack, the shelf above it is about 4" from the top of the integra. Could or should they be better with heat, yes, but then again they are powerhouses.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

Yup, I live in the atl area. The Integra doesn’t have atmos, which is a big deal breaker to me. Going from atmos back to standard 5.1/7.1 is like going from discrete 5.1 to plain stereo IMO. Atmos, or even upmixed Dolby Surround is such a massive improvement I don’t think I could go back to regular surround.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Have you thought about using REW and a miniDSP? That is certainly one way to fix your problem with room gain/peaks. Also, have you tried to put the sub mid-wall? Sometimes, that can help a little. Here is a link for the miniDSP:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

Most people prefer to use the CSL UMiK 1 as well:

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

Cheers,

Phil
I already have a mic. Believe it or not the Audyssey mic is extremely accurate (+-2dB as tested on avsforum), and I purchased a second through amazon just for the purpose of taking rew measurements awhile back, and it works very well. I am already familiar with REW. While I could simply eq the bass, I did notice a lot of benefits using Audyssey full range for my main theater. The correction in the time domain really makes a big difference compared to simply EQing, as I’ve experimented with EQ using REW and equalizer APO with a pc hooked to my avr.

In my main theater room, the uncorrected response is fairly flat above 200hz

If you look at the response of the Audyssey flat curve, vs the uncorrected curve, the difference is extremely small, yet for whatever reason, I notice a massive difference with Audyssey flat enabled vs off.

Even with correction, I probably need to place some room treatment in the bedroom. The slap echo is horrible and I notice in my well treated main room I have significantly tighter imaging vs the bedroom, which is a blurry mess.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I already have a mic. Believe it or not the Audyssey mic is extremely accurate (+-2dB as tested on avsforum), and I purchased a second through amazon just for the purpose of taking rew measurements awhile back, and it works very well. I am already familiar with REW. While I could simply eq the bass, I did notice a lot of benefits using Audyssey full range for my main theater. The correction in the time domain really makes a big difference compared to simply EQing, as I’ve experimented with EQ using REW and equalizer APO with a pc hooked to my avr.

In my main theater room, the uncorrected response is fairly flat above 200hz

If you look at the response of the Audyssey flat curve, vs the uncorrected curve, the difference is extremely small, yet for whatever reason, I notice a massive difference with Audyssey flat enabled vs off.

Even with correction, I probably need to place some room treatment in the bedroom. The slap echo is horrible and I notice in my well treated main room I have significantly tighter imaging vs the bedroom, which is a blurry mess.
Perhaps, some corner treatments would help. Addressing first and second reflections will clean things up a lot albeit the clap echo effect. One of these days, plan to get around to doing the same myself. I have been a little on the lazy side as of late......LOL!!!!! :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I grabbed a x1300w for my living room since my old Pioneer 521-k does almost nothing in the way of correction. I would have loved for the AVR to have XT 32, but since I have all in-ceiling speakers and no sub (sub end table is still WIP) I wouldn't get the benefit of 32.

My x4300h in the theater is awesome, but massive overkill for my living room casual system. Same for my office. My Onkyo 809 with XT works great in that small room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis