Love my $6,500 system ... what would you Upgrade Next???

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
So, this home theater buying bug is visiting me again ... I love the sound I get from my set up right now. I am at HT 70% / Music 30%

I usually listen to music and movies at moderate to low sound. So nothing tooo crazy. A bit of couch and floor vibration but not where it gets tooo crazy. Never have volume (Denon 4311) go above -10 volume. Never reached 0.

If you were me and you had this set up below...

Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
Denon AVR 4311ci
Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
Ascend HTM-200 (surrounds)
Rythmik F12
Monster HTS 5100 MKI

What would you upgrade next??? Let's say your budget is up to $1,500

thanks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you love it, I would say more music and movies. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
JVC/Epson/Acer Projector and 100 or 120 inch screen. :) A pic of your setup would be nice as well to get you to spend more or less. :)

Last edited:
bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
my screen I am happy with. That 80 inch TV is perfect there. I was thinking of getting an AMP for front 3 channels. Thoughts?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You're there!

Enjoy what you have.

If you REALLY want to go to the next level....

1) Acoustic room treatments
2) Measurement gear to really fine-tune and get the most out of your gear
3) You didn't mention a source. Add a turntable. Why? Just check out my avatar :cool: I also like the XBOX ONE and using the Smart Glass App on my tablet to control my media.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I agreed with slipperybidness, room treatment is so significant and yet is so often overlooked. If you have not yet done so, its definitely worth doing.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I would upgrade either your powerstrip to one of the ones made from Mapleshade or replace the wall outlet using the Mapleshade one. Here is a review:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0502/clearview.htm

Power feeds all of your gear so when you got the equipment right I would start from the power source and work back to the gear. Outlet, power conditioner, power cords. After that I find the digital cable makes a HUGE difference between your source and your AVR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HTPC + Kodi and let the movies & TV shows begin. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would upgrade either your powerstrip to one of the ones made from Mapleshade or replace the wall outlet using the Mapleshade one. Here is a review:

Power feeds all of your gear so when you got the equipment right I would start from the power source and work back to the gear. Outlet, power conditioner, power cords. After that I find the digital cable makes a HUGE difference between your source and your AVR.
You had better talk to the power company and go all the way back to the turbines.

Make sure this is the last post you make where you encourage a member to waste money on the BS I in your link.

That post makes you a disgrace to this forum. I think you have the correct Avitar. Obviously you are an expert in voodoo and witchcraft.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
If you like it make it better with focus on tuning up the room. Usually people who itch to upgrade don't think much of that idea but until you do this the gear you have probably isn't sounding as good as it can nor will upgrading it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A second F12 sub, a little room treatment, end of the $1,500.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Total BS rubbish!

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
You guys are posting your opinion on something you haven't auditioned in your own system. Pierre at Mapleshade gives you a 30 day audition, first listen, then opine.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You guys are posting your opinion on something you haven't auditioned in your own system. Pierre at Mapleshade gives you a 30 day audition, first listen, then opine.
Science and objective measurements dominate placebo, bias, and subjective opinions every time!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

It's a safe bet that you are the ONLY person on this forum to even think that. :D

Hopefully you won't get excoriated or vivisected for saying something like that. :D

You know the term that many people use for what you are recommending is "Snake Oil". :)

40-50% of us don't even believe that amps & DAC differ SIGNIFICANTLY, much less cables, wires, and outlets.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You are posting your subjective opinion, if you want science ask Pierre for it at Mapleshade.
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Aboutus.asp
When I want science, I look in the mirror. I have been making a living in the science field for over a decade.

Back to the topic at hand for the OP.

Spend your $ on room treatments, an area guaranteed to give you measured improvements. Spending $ on cables won't give you a measurable difference, much less an audible difference.

Now, a question for witchdoctor: Are you suggesting that cables would be a better investment than room treatments and provide more of an improvement than room treatments?

Do you suppose that Hollywood and that various sound engineers spend their money on room treatments or on fancy cables? Almost certainly, your music was recorded and mastered on equipment with general run of the mill cabling, so why would fancy cables at playback make a difference if the actual recording didn't have the same or better cables?

If you want GOOD QUALITY (broadcast quality) cables at a FAIR (not cheap) price, then look no further than BJC
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Last edited:
ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I fear a someone has snuck out from under his bridge....

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I have heard some cables make very small improvements in sound but the poster nor anyone else is going to benefit from them (and yes most are a scam) before the room is taken care of among other things. As far as 50% not thinking amps and such differ "significantly", well that's a nifty little exemption lol.
Am I suggesting in any way to buy pricey cables or mega buck amps? Nope because even though there are slight to moderate gains that can be found they never IMO match the cost vs reward ratio and few have everything else addressed to be truly ready to explore these sort of "final frontier" upgrades or finishing touches...and far too many are a scam.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis