Loudspeaker project - omni directional

J

jboyo24

Audiophyte
Hi I use various loudspeakers in the Uk for conducting onsite sound insulation testing of partitions.
Im building a battery power loudspeaker that have 6 individual loudspeakers arranged in a way to give an omni directional sound field (hemisherical). Ive powered it up using a big amp i have in the office and all seems good.
20190710_113333.jpg

Moving onto my question. See diagram attached. I am arranging the speaker wiring in a way that give the overall spec of 2.67ohm and a total power 168W. The class d amp i want to use is rated and 200w @ 3ohms. Is being 0.37 ohm low too much?

When this speaker will be used it will be set at a certain volume and left (no cranking). It is only used for short burst up to a minute long playing broad band pink noise. Is this okay or should i rearrange the wiring to give 6ohm which is possible. Im concerned this will limit the output too much.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi I use various loudspeakers in the Uk for conducting onsite sound insulation testing of partitions.
Im building a battery power loudspeaker that have 6 individual loudspeakers arranged in a way to give an omni directional sound field (hemisherical). Ive powered it up using a big amp i have in the office and all seems good.View attachment 30071

Moving onto my question. See diagram attached. I am arranging the speaker wiring in a way that give the overall spec of 2.67ohm and a total power 168W. The class d amp i want to use is rated and 200w @ 3ohms. Is being 0.37 ohm low too much?

When this speaker will be used it will be set at a certain volume and left (no cranking). It is only used for short burst up to a minute long playing broad band pink noise. Is this okay or should i rearrange the wiring to give 6ohm which is possible. Im concerned this will limit the output too much.
Yes, I think it is too low. I would use to sets of three in series paralleled. For one thing you don't know those speakers are 4 ohm, unless you measure the impedance curve. You system may well drop well below 2.67 ohms at certain frequencies. Shooting for 6 ohms gives you much more leeway.

J

jboyo24

Audiophyte
Thanks. I assume im only going to get half the rated power out of the amp if i go to 6ohms on the speaker arrangement. I cpuld go to the bigger amp is its too weak. Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks. I assume im only going to get half the rated power out of the amp if i go to 6ohms on the speaker arrangement. I cpuld go to the bigger amp is its too weak. Thanks
You don't need to get a bigger amp. You would loose 3db and likely less which is close to insignificant.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis