N

nolukjustskil

Enthusiast
i dont know much about audio stuff, so alot of the questions i have are more like a is this option even possible or would doing that option be a better choice.
so i currently have this https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-BH5140S-home-theater-system
i asked a question on a different forum but it was a UK forum (didnt say anywhere what region they were from) so i didnt make it to far. so my hopes were to trash my speakers, keep receiver and sub and upgrade the 5 speakers that i trash. one of the members said it was a bad idea because the receiver was garbage.
so what im looking for is a good setup around the 500$ mark. the way i shop is best bang for my buck, so thats what i want. the room is roughly 10x14ish (tv to couch will be 10ft area if that matters, its my living room in a long trailer). it is also possible to keep some of the speakers and upgrade them over time, like keep the surrounds and sub, get new receiver, front and center speaker. so like 250-300$ receiver, 150-200 fronts 50-100$ center if it worth doing it that way. if anyone can send some amazon links and reasons y that receiver over a different receiver, that would be amazing. im also trying to learn a little so i can shop for myself and know what to look for and what is just marketing BS. oh i wanted to add that 99% of what the speakers will be used for is movies/tv shows (netflix, hulu, prime, ect) so it doesnt have to be the best for music or sports, just movies basically. and i dont need anything fancy, like dolby atmos, bluetooth connection, wifi connect, ect.
thank you all so much and i hope you have a great day!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Waitaminit... I have a friend who goes by "NotLuckSkill" in Clash of Clans. Is this you Brian?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
i dont know much about audio stuff, so alot of the questions i have are more like a is this option even possible or would doing that option be a better choice.
so i currently have this https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-BH5140S-home-theater-system
i asked a question on a different forum but it was a UK forum (didnt say anywhere what region they were from) so i didnt make it to far. so my hopes were to trash my speakers, keep receiver and sub and upgrade the 5 speakers that i trash. one of the members said it was a bad idea because the receiver was garbage.
so what im looking for is a good setup around the 500$ mark. the way i shop is best bang for my buck, so thats what i want. the room is roughly 10x14ish (tv to couch will be 10ft area if that matters, its my living room in a long trailer). it is also possible to keep some of the speakers and upgrade them over time, like keep the surrounds and sub, get new receiver, front and center speaker. so like 250-300$ receiver, 150-200 fronts 50-100$ center if it worth doing it that way. if anyone can send some amazon links and reasons y that receiver over a different receiver, that would be amazing. im also trying to learn a little so i can shop for myself and know what to look for and what is just marketing BS. oh i wanted to add that 99% of what the speakers will be used for is movies/tv shows (netflix, hulu, prime, ect) so it doesnt have to be the best for music or sports, just movies basically. and i dont need anything fancy, like dolby atmos, bluetooth connection, wifi connect, ect.
thank you all so much and i hope you have a great day!

your pocket is not deep enough to upgrade

you need way more cash, way more

stay with what you have

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is a really skinny budget but the advantage of a true component system vs HTIB like you have is everything can be upgraded one item at a time....but the receiver/bluray combo you have is somewhat limited and seems to use a proprietary connector for the woofer/sub rather than a typical pre-out (the sub appears to be passive, too) which would make the receiver/player even less useful with most subs. Try this for starter system ideas https://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/recommended-5.1-focused-audio-system-for-under-700

N

nolukjustskil

Enthusiast
Where are you located?
i live in kansas.
Waitaminit... I have a friend who goes by "NotLuckSkill" in Clash of Clans. Is this you Brian?
lol no im not brian and i dont play clash of clans.
I would build these

Or

i was looking at dayton audio, with the MK442T, is there a huge difference between the 8" 429$,10" 459$, 12" 489$, 15" 539$ subs? like with the size of my room, and trying to go the budget friendly option, is 50$ worth going from 12" to 15" or 80$ from 10" to 15"? also will i have to get a new receiver with this set? or could is it possible to run the speakers (not sub and without damage) until i can save for a better receiver?
your pocket is not deep enough to upgrade

you need way more cash, way more

stay with what you have
yeah i wish i had more cash. im a computer guy and know my way around computer parts. what i do when building a computer is i buy 1 thing thats really expensive, and then skimp/settled on the rest until i can upgrade. like my current setup, i started with a cheap I5 and a got dual gpus, ive sold gpus, upgraded to a more powerful single gpu, upgraded the cpu, upgraded the memory, storage, monitor all over the course of a year or so. thats what im hoping to do with my audio equipment. i wish i could spend 1500$ for a new audio system, but if i can buy parts 1 or 2 at a time and in the end have a nice system thats what i want do.

It is a really skinny budget but the advantage of a true component system vs HTIB like you have is everything can be upgraded one item at a time....but the receiver/bluray combo you have is somewhat limited and seems to use a proprietary connector for the woofer/sub rather than a typical pre-out (the sub appears to be passive, too) which would make the receiver/player even less useful with most subs. Try this for starter system ideas https://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/recommended-5.1-focused-audio-system-for-under-700
yeah, thats a little out of my budget to start with. if you read what i wrote responding to eljr then maybe that might shed some light onto what i would like to do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i live in kansas.

lol no im not brian and i dont play clash of clans.

i was looking at dayton audio, with the MK442T, is there a huge difference between the 8" 429$,10" 459$, 12" 489$, 15" 539$ subs? like with the size of my room, and trying to go the budget friendly option, is 50$ worth going from 12" to 15" or 80$ from 10" to 15"? also will i have to get a new receiver with this set? or could is it possible to run the speakers (not sub and without damage) until i can save for a better receiver?

yeah i wish i had more cash. im a computer guy and know my way around computer parts. what i do when building a computer is i buy 1 thing thats really expensive, and then skimp/settled on the rest until i can upgrade. like my current setup, i started with a cheap I5 and a got dual gpus, ive sold gpus, upgraded to a more powerful single gpu, upgraded the cpu, upgraded the memory, storage, monitor all over the course of a year or so. thats what im hoping to do with my audio equipment. i wish i could spend 1500$ for a new audio system, but if i can buy parts 1 or 2 at a time and in the end have a nice system thats what i want do.

yeah, thats a little out of my budget to start with. if you read what i wrote responding to eljr then maybe that might shed some light onto what i would like to do.
Not sure what Dayton sub models you're referring to. Their SUB1200 and 1500 have been used with good results by several members here, tho. As long as the sub has speaker level inputs (high level, as opposed to line level/rca only) you could use your current receiver/player (if you can deal with the odd connector it uses).

LOL and I don't speak computer so much, I use a basic laptop. You can get a fairly good avr for not so much, try accessories4less.com and save some money on a refurb model (but note the terms carefully). If you don't need all the latest/greatest 4k/Atmos type features a used avr could be a good way to save money and get a better quality unit. Speakers are where you make the long term investment generally but many of us consider $500 per speaker/sub more a proper budget.

I'd go with shadyj's various speaker reviews (our speaker reviewer), here's his on the Dayton 402/442 https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/mk402-and-mk442-review

What part of Kansas, be glad to look at a few craigslist listings for ideas.

N

nolukjustskil

Enthusiast
the subs would be the sub-800, 1000, 1200, 1500. im in the same boat when speaking audio equipment, so yeah i could look, but i have no idea what im looking for or even what im looking at. im the dumb consumer that eats up the market hype like 1000w complete system!!! which would be garbage even at 1000w lol. i live in junction kansas, but manhattan kansas is the area to search. and i wouldnt have a problem spending that much 400-500$ per speaker, but it would have to be 1 speaker at a time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
the subs would be the sub-800, 1000, 1200, 1500. im in the same boat when speaking audio equipment, so yeah i could look, but i have no idea what im looking for or even what im looking at. im the dumb consumer that eats up the market hype like 1000w complete system!!! which would be garbage even at 1000w lol. i live in junction kansas, but manhattan kansas is the area to search. and i wouldnt have a problem spending that much 400-500$ per speaker, but it would have to be 1 speaker at a time.
I wouldn't bother with any 8" sub myself, prefer a larger sub (I use a variety of 10s, 12s, 15s and 18s myself). Your prices seemed too high for this range, just looked at the 1200 which is $150 shipped, the SUB1500 is $200 so not sure where your prices came from.

Don't use added up wattage figures from marketing people, they're useless! Wattage figures are a lot less useful than you might think for both amps and speakers.....

I'll take a look at craigslist to see if anything interesting there....

ps Starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 setup isn't a bad idea....

Last edited:
N

nolukjustskil

Enthusiast
I wouldn't bother with any 8" sub myself, prefer a larger sub (I use a variety of 10s, 12s, 15s and 18s myself). Your prices seemed too high for this range, just looked at the 1200 which is $150 shipped, the SUB1500 is $200 so not sure where your prices came from.

Don't use added up wattage figures from marketing people, they're useless! Wattage figures are a lot less useful than you might think for both amps and speakers.....

I'll take a look at craigslist to see if anything interesting there....

ps Starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 setup isn't a bad idea....
the prices come from a bundle they have, they have 4 bundles. mk442, mk402x, mk442t are the same speakers, the price changes with the sub. its the bundle mazersteven sent in his post. so is 50$ worth a 15" sub over the 12" sub? or will there not be that big of a difference and save that 50 to put towards a better receiver, or better wires.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
the prices come from a bundle they have, they have 4 bundles. mk442, mk402x, mk442t are the same speakers, the price changes with the sub. its the bundle mazersteven sent in his post. so is 50$ worth a 15" sub over the 12" sub? or will there not be that big of a difference and save that 50 to put towards a better receiver, or better wires.
Gotcha, didn't look at the link. I'd spend the $50 for the 15 myself altho the 12" is pretty good, too. How big a room do you have?

Don't fall into the "better wires" trap. Just need good solid basic cabling. Try monoprice.com. Here's a good site for things speaker wire http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 10 or 12" models would probably work fine in that small a space, but I'd rather have the 12....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't see anything exciting on a brief check of craigslist....that speaker set will be a lot better than what you have and just may be fine for a while with that receiver of yours if the receiver otherwise works for you feature-wise. Got a pic of the sub connector on the receiver as well as that on the sub of your current set?

N

nolukjustskil

Enthusiast
Didn't see anything exciting on a brief check of craigslist....that speaker set will be a lot better than what you have and just may be fine for a while with that receiver of yours if the receiver otherwise works for you feature-wise. Got a pic of the sub connector on the receiver as well as that on the sub of your current set?
thats the connector, if i have to i can either cut the wire and put it on new sub (prob not what i will do) or i can just deal with the LG sub until i get a new receiver a few months (4-6 month) down the road.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thats the connector, if i have to i can either cut the wire and put it on new sub (prob not what i will do) or i can just deal with the LG sub until i get a new receiver a few months (4-6 month) down the road.
I was more curious what's at the other end, saw that drawing in the manual. If it's a simple two wire connector as I suspect it shouldn't be too hard to adapt into the high level inputs on the SUB1200. All the other speakers currently connect via clip terminals on the back of the receiver/player?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
From what I remember seeing/reading, the sub 1500 offered little over the sub 1200 in terms of performance. I'd just go with the 1200.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis