Looking to upgrade my Power amp

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
Seems not much talk on Power Amps anymore.
Currently have an old Carver TFM 35 250w/channel (I said old). Looking to upgrade to a modern amp.
Current system is
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N that I am using as my streamer/preamp
My current speakers are the Chane A5s w/SVS 1000pro
I am looking to upgrade speakers also in the end. High on the consideration are the BMR Towers which are lower in efficiency at 86db
I do occasionally like to kick it up in volume.

What would pair well with the Cambridge audio with descent power +200/w <= $3k.

I may consider a little higher if there is a truly noticeable difference.
My listening preferences are all over the board. I love my 80's stuff like Depeche Mode, New Order but love the Stones, Steeley Dan, Jazz even some Opera.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I have some mono blocks from Emotiva XPA-1L Gen 2 Monoblock Amplifiers, limited edition models with serial number badges on the front left of each amplifier
I may sell them as I just bought them a few months ago and still have not hooked them up. PM me if these are something that would work for you
One of the got banged up in shipping, but it’s only cosmetic
Here’s a link to a review on them when they first came out

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are you hoping to gain with a different amp? If the one you have is still operating and within spec it's an excellent amplifier already. A different amplifier would just be a lateral move. I would put all of the focus on speakers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Seems not much talk on Power Amps anymore. Currently have an old Carver TFM 35 250w/channel (I said old). Looking to upgrade to a modern amp. Current system is:
If your old Carver is in decent shape, it's still an excellent amp. It should easily drive a pair of BMR Towers. Why do you want to replace it?
I am looking to upgrade speakers also in the end. High on the consideration are the BMR Towers which are lower in efficiency at 86db. I do occasionally like to kick it up in volume.
BMR Towers are an excellent choice. I heard them last November at the Capitol Audio Fest. Personally, I think they are the best 3-way speaker available. I haven't heard Chane A5s, so I can't comment on them.
What would pair well with the Cambridge audio with descent power +200/w <= $3k. I may consider a little higher if there is a truly noticeable difference. My listening preferences are all over the board. I love my 80's stuff like Depeche Mode, New Order but love the Stones, Steeley Dan, Jazz even some Opera.
When I heard the BMR Towers, they were driven by a very small class D amp. It was a DIY build, and contained a 2-channel NCore Hypex NC400 amp board, capable of 200 wpc. It easily drove the BMR Towers, and to my ears, it was small, powerful and silent. See my earlier post with photos from when I went to CAF:
These new NCore class D amps, are modules on boards made by Hypex, are state of the art in amps. As you can see, they're small, lightweight, and cheap compared to old class A/B solid state amps. Presently, the best prices are from a small 1-man operation called Buckeye Amps. Fully assembled 2-channel versions are offered with either of two amp boards:
  • NC502MP module (350w @ 8ohm, 500w @ 4ohm, 450w @ 2ohm) costs $699.
  • NC252MP module (150w @ 8ohm, 250w @ 4ohm, 180w @ 2ohm) costs $529.
I'd say either of these should easily drive the BMR Tower. See this link for details & photos:
Also see VTV Amplifiers. They sell class D amps with a wide variety of choices of class D amp modules, including the Hypex NCores:

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Depending on your room size and which model SVS sub you have, you might have some opportunity there. It's very common for folks to underestimate how much proper subwoofage can elevate a system. I did until I experienced it.

When I replaced my previously undersized subs (undersized for my large room, a pair of SB1000s) for a pair of ported 15s I was shocked at how much better my whole system sounded. I didn't just have more bass, I had clean, distortion free bass and it had the effect of cleaning up the way my speakers sounded too. It wasn't boomy or overpowering as I had feared. It was like putting glasses on. Everything sounded more effortless and had more weight. A single SB1000 Pro will struggle in anything but the smallest rooms, but I don't know what you're dealing with there.

If your amp is in good shape you have a nice healthy budget for a good sub upgrade, assuming a small-ish room and a little sealed sub like the SB1000 Pro. It's just another way to go that a lot of folks (myself included) overlook or underestimate.

I don't think I can do any better for speaker suggestions than the BMR towers. I came oh so close to getting those myself, but had just bought a pair of Sierra towers with RAAL ribbons and I just couldn't justify it. They're made by a very renowned designer and are gorgeous looking to boot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Has the Carver gone bad or developed noise or something? Carver still works on amps altho not cheap and there's usually a backlog.

If you do end up buying new amps.....maybe a pair of Outlaw Audio 2220s, the Hypex or Purifi module based class D amps Swerd was mentioning from a variety of brands, or something from ATI or Monolith (Monolith being made by ATI, too).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Amplifiers have a very flat response, so there is no tonal difference from one brand to the next. Moving up in amplifier power can yield more headroom for those big transients, but that Carver amp is no slouch. I agree that it would be more of a lateral move unless the Carver is starting to get noisy. You would want comparable or more power, like the ones just mentioned: Outlaw, Hypex (like those by Buckeye or VTV) or Crown.

You'll get a much different result with a speaker upgrade. BMR Tower is a great choice if you are after a very neutral speaker with a flat response. You likely will not be able to demo them though. Any particular brands in your area that you can listen too? Plenty of options in that price range and if you keep the Carver you could put the money into better speakers.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
If your old Carver is in decent shape, it's still an excellent amp. It should easily drive a pair of BMR Towers. Why do you want to replace it?
BMR Towers are an excellent choice. I heard them last November at the Capitol Audio Fest. Personally, I think they are the best available 3-way speaker available. I haven't heard Chane A5s, so I can't comment on them.
When I heard the BMR Towers, they were driven by a very small class D amp. It was a DIY build, and contained a 2-channel NCore Hypex NC400 amp board, capable of 200 wpc. It easily drove the BMR Towers, and to my ears, it was small, powerful and silent. See my earlier post with photos from the CAF:
These new NCore class D amps, made by Hypex, are state of the art in amps. As you can see, they're small, lightweight, and cheap compared to old class A/B solid state amps. Presently, the best prices are from a small 1-man operation called Buckeye Amps. A 2-channel version with the NC502MP module (350w @ 8ohm, 500w @ 4ohm, 450w @ 2ohm) costs $699. With a less powerful NC252MP module (150w @ 8ohm, 250w @ 4ohm, 180w @ 2ohm) costs $529. I'd say either of these should easily drive the BMR Tower. See this link for details:
Also see VTV Amplifiers. They sell class D amps with a wide variety of choices, including the Hypex NCores:
I second @Swerd’s recommendation for Class D Hypex ncore amps. I moved from Anthem AB amps to the ncores about a year ago. They are dead silent and have superb bench measurements. US companies were backordered (good sign) when I bought so I went with March Audio (Australia) and Nord Audio (England). I would confidently buy from Buckeye or VTV as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on your room size and which model SVS sub you have, you might have some opportunity there. It's very common for folks to underestimate how much proper subwoofage can elevate a system. I did until I experienced it.

When I replaced my previously undersized subs (undersized for my large room, a pair of SB1000s) for a pair of ported 15s I was shocked at how much better my whole system sounded. I didn't just have more bass, I had clean, distortion free bass and it had the effect of cleaning up the way my speakers sounded too. It wasn't boomy or overpowering as I had feared. It was like putting glasses on. Everything sounded more effortless and had more weight. A single SB1000 Pro will struggle in anything but the smallest rooms, but I don't know what you're dealing with there.

If your amp is in good shape you have a nice healthy budget for a good sub upgrade, assuming a small-ish room and a little sealed sub like the SB1000 Pro. It's just another way to go that a lot of folks (myself included) overlook or underestimate.

I don't think I can do any better for speaker suggestions than the BMR towers. I came oh so close to getting those myself, but had just bought a pair of Sierra towers with RAAL ribbons and I just couldn't justify it. They're made by a very renowned designer and are gorgeous looking to boot.
Yes.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
No, the only real issue with the Carver are the dial lights are out. It is getting up there in age though.
As far as speaker demoing locally, very sparse lately. Dynaudio, Paradym, Focal and Golden ear are about it. We are down to like 2 shops. As far as amps go Anthem, Rotell, NAD and then things way above my price range.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
No, the only real issue with the Carver are the dial lights are out. It is getting up there in age though.
As far as speaker demoing locally, very sparse lately. Dynaudio, Paradym, Focal and Golden ear are about it. We are down to like 2 shops. As far as amps go Anthem, Rotell, NAD and then things way above my price range.

Read the above thread regarding Class D and their very reasonable costs and quality measurements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@erpauls

If you absolutely must have an old school, big-iron, class AB solid state amp, despite the much higher cost, I can recommend the AVA Vision SET 400 Amp, for $2,000.

I used to think this was the best amp available, until I heard an example of the new Hypex NCore class D amps driving the BMR Tower. In my opinion, the price difference for high fidelity & high performance class D is so large that it cannot be ignored.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If your gonna replace your Carver amp, and your not to far, I'd be willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.;)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm Premier is around the same price range as your Chane ($2k+) but likely a more neutral sounding speaker. A step up from there would be the Founder 40B bookshelf or 80F tower. The Founder 100F is getting considerably more expensive than say the BMR Tower (as in double). The Focal Chora 826 is a similar price range to the Chane again, so you would be getting up into Focal Aria 926 or 936 territory to improve. I've seen good deals on the Aria 948 on occasion, but the BMR Tower is great value for the dollar.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As far as amps go Anthem, Rotel, NAD and then things way above my price range.
Those are usually good popular brand names.

ATI, Parasound, Anthem, Rotel, NAD.

Outlaw and Monoprice also sell amps that are made by ATI.

Pretty much ANY amp will work.

The question is, how much do you want to spend, how many years of warranty do you want, what kind of brand name, weight of the amp (100 LBS v 30 LBS), etc.?

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
no slouches here in either speakers or amps.. Danes are great as is focal and paradigm. I would decide which speakers im getting before the amp decision. Just in case you dont need that Hefty 200plus amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Seems not much talk on Power Amps anymore.
Currently have an old Carver TFM 35 250w/channel (I said old). Looking to upgrade to a modern amp.
Current system is
I am looking to upgrade speakers also in the end. High on the consideration are the BMR Towers which are lower in efficiency at 86db
I do occasionally like to kick it up in volume.

What would pair well with the Cambridge audio with descent power +200/w <= $3k.

I may consider a little higher if there is a truly noticeable difference.
My listening preferences are all over the board. I love my 80's stuff like Depeche Mode, New Order but love the Stones, Steeley Dan, Jazz even some Opera.
It looks as if you are heading for a downgrade. You already have a really good amp. So keep the amp and move on to the speakers.

In the main, I think a lot of modern amps are inferior in terms of build quality.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I had to have a class a/b amp. For the record I just put a Dsonic 7ch amp in my HT, along with a 7channel Emotiva. So, both D and a/b there. The emotiva has atmos duty. The DSonic has fronts and surrounds.
My point is, I'm not against D class amps if they are that good.
Your probably right, I should pick some new speakers before amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't think so as I don't believe you have one now....the Carvers tend to be more G/H. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I had to have a class a/b amp. For the record I just put a Dsonic 7ch amp in my HT, along with a 7channel Emotiva. So, both D and a/b there. The emotiva has atmos duty. The DSonic has fronts and surrounds.
My point is, I'm not against D class amps if they are that good.
Your probably right, I should pick some new speakers before amp.
You already have a class A/B amp. The output topography of your amp is A/B. The H designation refers to the power supply, which monitor demand and adjusts voltage in relation to the demand.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis