Looking for Universal Remote Control

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Hello AH. I’m in the market for a universal remote control. I am use the old universal remote controls that is only turn power and channels on and off. What I am looking for is a universal remone that can be programmed to use all the features that the factory remote Control could use, such as go into the set up menu on an avr setup menu to change speaker levels are surround parameters. Old cheap universal remotes only use to control power,volume,channels and that’s about it. I’m just trying to figure out if they make any universal remotes now that are capable of being used to watch/tv/Blu-Ray programs and allow me to make adjustments on my
Denon AVR X3600H using a universal remote ?
I mean like raising or lowering the center channel or subwoofer channel,change surround settings. Płease all options welcome.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Harmony remotes with basic database programming does some of that and more is possible if you spend time on the specific commands from my understanding but to drill into setuo menus I find keeping the avr remote handy is easier but I don't do all that much tweaking....and I only have fairly basicmodels (600 & 650).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Harmony remotes have a 'Device' button that allows controlling ONLY the device selected, rather than in an activity. If you want to go into the setup menu, press Menu when in Device Mode and you'll be able to make the changes needed. Once you're done, press the Device button until the screen returns to that mode- the 600 and 650 have been replaced by the 655, which can control a larger number of devices in each account.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Harmony remotes have a 'Device' button that allows controlling ONLY the device selected, rather than in an activity. If you want to go into the setup menu, press Menu when in Device Mode and you'll be able to make the changes needed. Once you're done, press the Device button until the screen returns to that mode- the 600 and 650 have been replaced by the 655, which can control a larger number of devices in each account.
Still, with the basic initial programming they are only so useful even in device mode compared to the actual remote....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions. I like to make adjustments depending on the program playing. I’ll just keep my factory remotes. If I still need them to make adjustments I can’t justify spending 100 bucks just for power volume and channel changing.

highfigh

highfigh

Still, with the basic initial programming they are only so useful even in device mode compared to the actual remote....
Huh? It can use every command available to the OEM remote and if the codes aren't in the database, it can learn them- try doing that with an OEM remote.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for the suggestions. I like to make adjustments depending on the program playing. I’ll just keep my factory remotes. If I still need them to make adjustments I can’t justify spending 100 bucks just for power volume and channel changing.
You can add whatever commands you want in each activity.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I guess you skipped my suggestion. Won’t be the first or last. Rahaha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Huh? It can use every command available to the OEM remote and if the codes aren't in the database, it can learn them- try doing that with an OEM remote.
Yes, if you work on it. I'm saying with just the basic programming of the remote with the Logitech database, that everything isn't automatically available....I understand by spending some extra time with it with additional programming/learning mode you can mimic it. I just don't find them worth the time myself compared to just picking up the avr remote for deep diving into the setting menu....maybe the OP might benefit from extra time spent tweaking the remote if he changes avr settings that much. I just looked at one of mine with the basic automatic programming to change speaker levels like the OP mentioned, couldn't even find the setup menu (some of the choices I could scroll thru were from within the setup menu, but no direct access to the setup menu itself, and no sign of the speaker level setup). Could well vary with avr, this is with my Denon 4520 and a Harmony 600. YMMV.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, if you work on it. I'm saying with just the basic programming of the remote with the Logitech database, that everything isn't automatically available....I understand by spending some extra time with it with additional programming/learning mode you can mimic it. I just don't find them worth the time myself compared to just picking up the avr remote for deep diving into the setting menu....maybe the OP might benefit from extra time spent tweaking the remote if he changes avr settings that much. I just looked at one of mine with the basic automatic programming to change speaker levels like the OP mentioned, couldn't even find the setup menu (some of the choices I could scroll thru were from within the setup menu, but no direct access to the setup menu itself, and no sign of the speaker level setup). Could well vary with avr, this is with my Denon 4520 and a Harmony 600. YMMV.
The Denon database does have discrete commands for changing the level of each channel, but on the 600/650/700/655 models, it's not going to be super easy to lay out. OTOH, those are basic models and the vast majority of users of those models will never use most of those commands and they were never intended for comprehensive control.

Let me know if you want the complete command file- Harmony can add any command that comes on an OEM remote and if it's only available in hexidecimal, they can convert it and add it to the account. Once it's proven to be correct, they'll add these codes to the master database if they haven't, already- I sent the file to them a couple of years ago. The remote manufacturers I have spoken with told me they don't automatically get all codes for all models from the equipment manufacturers and they aren't always correct when they do arrive. From my experience, Harmony's database is far more complete than those of RTi & URC and URC has actually added a Help button to some of their remote models after years of making comments about how Harmony is like the ugly red-headed step child of the remote industry at their product training sessions.

I can check with Demon on Tuesday to see if their database has changed since I got the file- they tend to leave things as-is WRT commands for each type of device unless there's a good reason to add/delete.

One thing to beware of- if you go into device mode on a Harmony or leave all commands available on a URC- pressing the button for numeral 1 may make the volume go to WOT.

highfigh

highfigh

You can make the adjustments in each activity, but I would suggest looking for setup tips on the Logitech website and YouTube or by calling their tech support number- they're usually very helpful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind my experience is with the 600/650 only. I'd also look further into it, my warning was more about my experience with that model/feature level. I don't know how much easier it can be with their more capable models (like a hub/phone based one), it just doesn't bother me as I infrequently play with speaker levels or that sort of dive into setup while watching and the avr remotes are not far away for that. I do use the Harmony for most of my watching/listening uses, tho....easier for macros at least for turning gear on/off and to correct inputs etc....

Thanks for the offer @highfigh but I'm happy as is.

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
I have a few of the harmony remotes, and older cheaper 600 series and a harmony One. Both work pretty well to be honest. The older less expensive remote is a bit more simple to use but doesn't do as much. The harmony One was more expensive but it can do a lot more. And it programs via an app on your computer. It can pretty much do everything and more than most of my factory remotes can do. And you can set up different macros and stuff so basically hitting one button will turn everything on and select the correct inputs and what not. My harmony will access the service menus on my tv which you cannot do with the factory remote. You need a harmony, a special remote or an app on a smart phone to do it. They can even control other devices like lighting and stuff. So lets say you had a theater with a projector and motorized screen. You turn the whole system on, select the correct inputs, turn off the lights and lower your screen all with one button. Or control mulitple systems if you want. The one I have is discontinued but I would assume the newer ones are as good or better.

I still keep the other remotes handy though for set up and adjustments. They are just easier to navigate for that kind of stuff.

highfigh

highfigh

My remote is made by Universal Electronics and issued by Cox cable, my tv is a Toshiba 52xv645u, and my Insignia blu-ray player is an NS-BRDVD3. It is inconceivable to me that you guys make is SO difficult to get the universal remote codes for your products. What is the point? If one is not available, I will return the product for a more satisfactory brand.
Uh, the last previous post was from more than two years ago- you might want to mention the actual problems you're having.

What do you mean by "you guys"?

BTW- cable companies really don't care if their remote operates all brands of equipment, they only want it to operate their cable box and maybe the TV but if you read the instructions, you'll see a comment stating that some TVs won't work with their codes.

Here's how InfraRed codes work- there's a small number of manufacturers of control chips and they come without names for the commands- they leave naming these to the company that will install the chip in their device and that's the reason one brand of equipment can use the same codes as another. This is a problem if the remote is using IR to send the commands from the remote because there aren't many ways to prevent the code reaching both/all equipment that can 'understand' it. One way is to use a remote that sends the commands to a hub via RF and the hub has assignable ports for the IR emitters but even that can be a problem if the IR comes from both sides of the emitter.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My remote is made by Universal Electronics and issued by Cox cable, my tv is a Toshiba 52xv645u, and my Insignia blu-ray player is an NS-BRDVD3. It is inconceivable to me that you guys make is SO difficult to get the universal remote codes for your products. What is the point? If one is not available, I will return the product for a more satisfactory brand.
Are you really so clueless?

Cox Cable orders remotes for their cable boxes, and the fact it operates other things at all is just a 'bonus'.

If you want a quality universal remote control, then buy a quality universal remote control. Nobody has a clue what you're b1tching about right now because nobody here makes any product you are using. But, a Best Buy made Blu-ray player is hardly one which is likely to show up in a remote database because it's such a one-off no-name brand. Your failure to understand how things work does not constitute a failure by others.

Get a good remote. That's ALWAYS the starting point for getting good control. Also, know that major brands, like Samsung, Sony, and LG are far more likely to be consistent with their codes, and have codes available than lower tier brands. I often stick with Sony on certain products because their codes haven't changed in years and years.

highfigh

highfigh

Are you really so clueless?

Cox Cable orders remotes for their cable boxes, and the fact it operates other things at all is just a 'bonus'.

If you want a quality universal remote control, then buy a quality universal remote control. Nobody has a clue what you're b1tching about right now because nobody here makes any product you are using. But, a Best Buy made Blu-ray player is hardly one which is likely to show up in a remote database because it's such a one-off no-name brand. Your failure to understand how things work does not constitute a failure by others.

Get a good remote. That's ALWAYS the starting point for getting good control. Also, know that major brands, like Samsung, Sony, and LG are far more likely to be consistent with their codes, and have codes available than lower tier brands. I often stick with Sony on certain products because their codes haven't changed in years and years.
Integra codes are pretty common and they don't change often, either. I don't think anyone really knows who makes their stuff, but oddly enough, it works fairly well.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Integra codes are pretty common and they don't change often, either. I don't think anyone really knows who makes their stuff, but oddly enough, it works fairly well.
Onkyo used to be the maker for the Integra stuff. I am not a fan as I ran into issues years ago with a very high end receiver that didn't work right and they were just kinda like "Yes, we are aware of it. No, we aren't going to fix it. Sucks to be you." - That was the end of any recommendation for Integra.

But, receivers from Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha have been using the same code set for decades as well. I was thinking more about components. For TVs, Sony is king, but many others do very well for control. LG has been pretty solid for years as well. Samsung is ALL over the place, but often works fine.

I used to go to Remote Central ALL the time to get all the codes I was looking for and find out some details as they became available on certain products. Not sure if that's still the go to site for universal remotes.

highfigh

highfigh

Onkyo used to be the maker for the Integra stuff. I am not a fan as I ran into issues years ago with a very high end receiver that didn't work right and they were just kinda like "Yes, we are aware of it. No, we aren't going to fix it. Sucks to be you." - That was the end of any recommendation for Integra.

But, receivers from Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha have been using the same code set for decades as well. I was thinking more about components. For TVs, Sony is king, but many others do very well for control. LG has been pretty solid for years as well. Samsung is ALL over the place, but often works fine.

I used to go to Remote Central ALL the time to get all the codes I was looking for and find out some details as they became available on certain products. Not sure if that's still the go to site for universal remotes.
I never sold Integra and have only dealt with those or Onkyo if I had to take over a project or when the existing system had them when I got a new customer- the rest, over the last 3+ decades, have been a few Sony, lots of Denon, some Yamaha and a couple of Pioneers.

I still go to RC but less lately, since I have all but stopped doing installations after messing up my knee. To be honest, I'm tired of it, especially since the industry still hasn't come up with a replacement for HDMI- sometimes, replacing a TV that wants newer cables is a PITA and the Samsung OneConnect box is a joke- more than ten years and the cable still isn't rated for in-wall, after we badgered the reps about that and the shape/size of the box at the first training sessions.......

And Ernie is still there, tossing anchors out, to slow the conversations by picking apart the use of words and often being clueless. Mr Stanley is gone, though........

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Don't think Onkyo spun off their Integra brand.....but wonder if it survived Voxx now that you mention it....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis